Can I get a blue badge? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can I get a blue badge?

DavidM75
DavidM75 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited December 2017 in Transport and travel
I struggle walking in town as there are hills. I was wondering if I could get a blue badge so I could park my car near where I want to be. I have COPD and get out of breath easily.

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @DavidM75
    Welcome to the community.

Who can get a Blue Badge 

You’re automatically eligible for a Blue Badge if you:

• are registered as blind
    • get the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
    • get Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and scored 8 points or more in the ‘moving around’ area of your assessment - check your decision letter if you’re not sure
    • get War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement 
    • received a lump sum payment as part of the Armed Forces Compensation scheme (tariffs 1 to 8), and have been certified as having a permanent and substantial disability

If you're not automatically eligible

You might still be able to get a badge. You'll have to fill in an extra part of the application to show why you need one. 

You should do this if:

• you have problems walking that are permanent, or that your doctor says are likely to last at least a year
    • you can't use your arms
    • you're applying on behalf of a child aged over 2 who has problems walking, or a child under 3 who needs to be close to a vehicle because of a health condition

The application is more complicated if you're not automatically eligible. It's worth getting help from an adviser at your nearest Citizens Advice to fill in the form properly.

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    I had 8 points for mobility yet my council still did a telephone interview about my condition having just been diagnosed two days earlier with MS. Good luck.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • meljc
    meljc Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hello everyone..where do I apply for a blue badge. 
  • maid08
    maid08 Community member Posts: 307 Pioneering
    meljc said:
    Hello everyone..where do I apply for a blue badge. 
    local councle

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness