SMI stopping — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

SMI stopping

Options
sheridan111
sheridan111 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Been reading some of the posts re the SMI help stopping.

In the same boat with that and just don' know who to contact for advice and what to do.

I have a 2 year old daughter and am a single parent.

Like many invested a lot in my property. It appears as though at the end of my mortgage term which is a few years away yet  I will have to leave my home. I won't be able to pay off the capital and now with the dwp interest payments stopping any chance of being able to do so will be stopped from happening.  As many it appears as though I will be loosing all that I've worked for and struggled to have.

Will there ever be chance of getting to have your own home if on disability benefits? I was planning to be aiming to be back in work again by the time my daughter was at school but due to my disabilities it would only ever be able to be part time and thus always having that benefit connection.

I have not signed the dwp loan yet but will have to as not going to have other choice it appears.

Could talk further with someone and explain more re the situation if there is any agencies or anyone that can help.

Any advice anyone??

Sheridan

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @sheridan111, thank you for sharing this with us.

So sorry to hear about your situation and how the SMI changes are affecting you. In your case, it might be worth seeking face to face guidance with Citizens Advice to see if they can offer any input. You didn't mention whether you were claiming any benefits, but it might also be worth checking the benefits calculator to check that you're claiming all that you may be entitled to.

When you do begin thinking about employment, it's important to ensure you find something suitable for you and your disability. You may like to check out Scope's Support To Work scheme, and we have employment advisors on the community who can offer guidance too.

I hope this helps at least as a starting point- please do keep us updated and we'll assist where we can.
  • myfriend1
    myfriend1 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    Options
    Good afternoon, you may be aware of changes that the government is making to SMI mortgage interest  payments which affect mainly pensioners and the disabled which I find to be totally unfair and discriminates the all ready most vulnerable among us.  I have stated the below petition and would be grateful if it could be shown on you site and if you could help it get more exposure.
    Kind Regards Patricia
    Dear friends,

I just signed the petition "Stop changes to Support for Mortgage Interest (SMI)"  and wanted to ask if you could add your name too.

This campaign means a lot to me and the more support we can get behind it, the better chance we have of succeeding. You can read more and sign the petition here:

Thank you!

patricia

P.S. Can you also take a moment to share the petition with others? It's really easy – all you need to do is forward this email or share this link on Facebook or Twitter: https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/stop-changes-to-support-for-mortgage-interest-smi
  • Barbiesnemesis
    Barbiesnemesis Community member Posts: 86 Pioneering
    Options
    @ Sheridan111 when I read your post I noticed you said you won't be able to pay off the capital - does that mean you have an interest only mortgage? I was wondering because I've seen information about people claiming compensation for being miss-sold interest only mortgages. It might get you some money back if you can. I'll have a look on the net and see what I can find...
  • Barbiesnemesis
    Barbiesnemesis Community member Posts: 86 Pioneering
    Options
    I hope this works, I'm not the most techy person in the world! https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/i-think-ive-been.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.