Stories of success in finding work in London? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Stories of success in finding work in London?

c_lo
c_lo Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited March 2018 in Work and employment
Hi, I am going to move to London to find work, and I have a mental illness. I would like to share stories of encouragement and success in finding work in London.

Comments

• nickyban
    nickyban Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I have mental illness too and I used to work in London but I could not take the frantic pace and be in such a big city now as I am older and would rather be skint than have to work and travel and use all my days just to make a living.  I applaud you but I do not envy you!
  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @c_lo, and welcome to the community.
    I live in the suburbs of London and worked here until my retirement, but I have no disability as such. I know only too well, though, that the streets of London are not paved with gold. The principal difficulty is finding a job that pays enough and accommodation which is near enough to where you would be working so that you can afford to pay for travel and accommodation costs.
    Do you have a particular field of employment in mind?
    Warmest best wishes to you,
    Richard
  • Shouldbetoesup
    Shouldbetoesup Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    Stay away from London. I was born here but for the past 5 years it has been made clear to me that I am not welcome here. Its impossible to live here on disability benefits and even if you have a job you will need to earn 50k to have a comfortable life .If the stress gets to you and your disability gets worse and you can't work .the DWP and local councils have  no problem in making you homeless however disabled you are. I'm fighting for my rights as hard as I can and have evidence of illegal activities. The attitude is they do as they pleased because legal aid no longer exists. Four housing officers are in prison now but the council workers who committed the worst acts of abuse and assault wrote to tell me they had destroyed evidence. London is for rich business owners. My tiny little house between railway lines and waste dump is worth half a million pounds so if I do move away I would be much better off, but it will be because I want to, not because I am forced to. You would be throwing yourself into a pit of vipers 

Brightness