PIP extra help/entitlement? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP extra help/entitlement?

poppymarydaisy
poppymarydaisy Community member Posts: 4 Listener
My friend has been awarded PIP and is looking for extra help that she can get because she gets PIP.
Things like the CEA card.

(This is also for me as I'm in the process of claiming PIP - 5 months waiting to hear anything from them)

Comments

• ScopeHelpline
    ScopeHelpline Community member Posts: 207 Courageous
    edited November 2016
    Dear poppymarydaisy,
    PIP acts as a gateway to other types of help and the extra help you can get depends on what components you receive and what other help you get.
    I would be happy to talk this through with you in more detail so if you would like to call me on 0808 800 3333 or email helpline@scope.org.uk we can explore what extra help both you and your friend might be entitled to.

Best wishes
    Debbie
    Scope helpline

If you'd like to discuss and find out more about benefit-related issues, visit our 'disability benefits, money and work' discussion page. If you have a benefits question, try our 'Ask a benefits advisor' page.
  • poppymarydaisy
    poppymarydaisy Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    My friend has just sent off for her CEA card, and I've just had my PIP assessment (that was traumatic)

We've discovered that English Heritage, National Trust and a lot of zoos do allow a free carer in with proof of PIP.
    Any more ideas would be great.

Does anyone know about things like bowling alleys or swimming or anything like that?
  • Debbie_Alumni
    Debbie_Alumni Community member Posts: 932 Pioneering
    More information about the CEA card can be found by following this link https://www.ceacard.co.uk/index.aspx

PIP acts as a gateway to other types of help. The following is a guide to what you can expect.

Blue Badge parking concessions without further assessment 8 points or more in the moving around activity of the mobility component
    Carer's allowance for your carer Either rate daily living component
    Carer's National Insurance credits for your carer Either rate daily living component
    Carer's premium for your carer in income-related benefits and the additional amount for carers in Pension Credit Either rate daily living component
    Child tax credit - disabled child element Any rate or component paid to your child aged 16 or over
    Child tax credit - severely disabled child element Enhanced rate daily living component paid to your child aged 16 or over
    Christmas Bonus Any rate or component
    Concessionary travel pass without further assessment 8 points or more in the moving around activity, or 8 points or more in the communicating verbally activity
    Council tax discount disregard for severe mental impairment Either rate daily living component
    Council tax discount disregard for live in care worker Either rate daily living component
    Disability premium in Housing Benefit (HB), Income Support, Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) and Council Tax Reduction (CTR) Any rate or component
    Enhanced disability premium in HB, Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), Income Support, JSA and CTR Enhanced rate daily living component
    Severe disability premium in HB, ESA, Income Support, JSA, CTR and additional amount for severe disability in Pension Credit Either rate daily living component
    Disabled child premium in HB Any rate or component paid to your child aged 16 or over
    Motability Enhanced rate mobility component
    No non-dependant deductions in HB, ESA, Income Support, JSA and CTR Either rate daily living component
    Student eligibility for income-related ESA Any rate or component
    Vehicle Excise Duty (road tax) exemption Enhanced rate mobility component
    Vehicle Excise Duty (road tax) 50% reduction Standard rate mobility component
    Working Tax Credit disability element Any rate or component
    Working Tax Credit severe disability element Enhanced rate daily living component
    Working Tax Credit - defining an adult as incapacitated and a child as disabled for the childcare element Any rate or component

The Disability Grants website has a page about discounts on days out and it’s worth a read. http://www.disability-grants.org/national-disability-discounts-days-out.html
    There are usually concessions for disabled people in most leisure activities so always check if you are planning a day out. One of the most common concessions is that a carer can accompany the disabled person to an event/day out for free.

Most local authorities run their own leisure pass schemes to offer discounted activities to local residents so it’s worth getting in touch with your local council to see if they are running a scheme. An example of this would be cheaper fees for leisure centres and sporting activities.

This link to the government website has a section about ‘Financial Help if you’re disabled’. It outlines other sources of help you might be able to get including discounted travel. https://www.gov.uk/financial-help-disabled/overview

A great tip is to not be afraid to ask what a company’s concessions for disabled people are, there are many available so it’s a good idea to get used to asking around to really find out everything that is available.

Best Wishes
    Debbie

• Littlelady12345
    Littlelady12345 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Hi I know someone who has got pip but doesn't deserve it as there is nothing much wrong with them ...they have told me its only for the money..this doesn't seem fair when some genuine people get turned away 
  • bobtweenie
    bobtweenie Community member Posts: 20 Connected
    I live next door to a woman who claims pip and income support as she apparently can't work but it doesn't stop her working as a lap dancer  on the side . Very interesting as she's been reported many a time but still lives the life of Riley . 
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
    You can report benefit fraud online.

It sounds like it's not the case in these examples - but it's worth remembering that sometimes impairments aren't visible, sometimes conditions fluctuate, and sometimes people just put on a brave face when out and about.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Disability is not always visable, but yes some do claim fraudulently and if you think or suspect someone the report them if they are genuine claimants then they will continue to get benefits those who don't will be fined and have to repay benefits wrongly claimed. Don't feel guilty if you are a tax payer they are stealing from you, think about.
  • maid08
    maid08 Community member Posts: 307 Pioneering
    Hi I know someone who has got pip but doesn't deserve it as there is nothing much wrong with them ...they have told me its only for the money..this doesn't seem fair when some genuine people get turned away 
    they wont get it for long if we disabled are loseing it they will to one call will start the end for them
  • maid08
    I live next door to a woman who claims pip and income support as she apparently can't work but it doesn't stop her working as a lap dancer  on the side . Very interesting as she's been reported many a time but still lives the life of Riley . 
    seems common that one local here travel to London for three days but is claiming disabled and nothing done about it despite easy to sort out dwp own lap dancing club prob were they work
  • maid08
    wilko said:
    Disability is not always visable, but yes some do claim fraudulently and if you think or suspect someone the report them if they are genuine claimants then they will continue to get benefits those who don't will be fined and have to repay benefits wrongly claimed. Don't feel guilty if you are a tax payer they are stealing from you, think about.
    true fact and yes report them but dwp then also check you out to hahaha

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    That's  fine with me I have nothing to hide honest as the days long. 
  • maid08
    edited March 2018
    wilko said:
    not you hahaha i reported a bloke here for 4 years who somehow bought thre of a block four houses last one was my parents  he never worked claimed benefits??my mum had massive stroke  so i tried to get council to put ramp in nope??so i paid for wet room plus ramp ?while him next door had pavement re-slabbed in case he fell while walking  with his sticks not touching the floor ever??result  they checked me out not him
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    wilko said:
    Is that a winter day or a summer day ? :)

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.