69% of ESA and PIP appeals are won — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

69% of ESA and PIP appeals are won

Sam_Alumni
Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
edited March 2018 in Research and opportunities
The latest appeal statistics for Employment Support Allowance (ESA) and Personal Independence Payment (PIP) were published today.

In the last quarter, 69 per cent of claimants were successful in appealing a decision relating to their ESA claim. This is a one percentage point rise over the last year. 

In the last quarter, 69 per cent of claimants were successful in appealing a decision relating to their PIP claim. This is a four percentage point rise over the last year. This is the highest rate of successful appeals since PIP rollout began. 

Mark Atkinson, Chief Executive at disability charity Scope, said: 

“Today’s figures show that despite dire warnings, these assessments continue to fail disabled people. The Government needs to get a grip on this situation, as both PIP and ESA appeals are still being won at alarmingly high rates."

Read more on our website.

If you want to know more about appealing a DWP decision, we have some great videos to explain the process here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sOsiEFo-Ck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67tDSlsityY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIHjSpNNbQo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WEvbFVlQOc&t=6s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W69KUQhGfs

Scope
Senior online community officer

Comments

• joyclyn
    joyclyn Community member Posts: 73 Courageous
    What  kind of questions  am I going to b asked  will  they b about  the assessment 2.points   I have read some people were not asked  like taking medication  how can I mention my bowels  the 2 points were for that as it was put  down I used an aid  the aid my  gran daughter! ! She was not listening   to me at all  do I wait for questions  from the 3 on panel I am just  beyond  myself how to explain myself I'm becoming  obsessed  reading yet nothing is sinking in.i wrote something earlier  and lost it.im so depressed  with  all this its cruel  putting  poor people  through  this How is this  been allowed   I will b 67 by I get to the tribunal  to to shamed  when did people  talk about toilet  needs  to 3 strangers  and if they are anything  like the lying  fat assessor    I don't know  what if my disability  flares up when I am there  god what a nightmare  sorry ranting on I honestly  can't  help myself 
  • beves
    beves Community member Posts: 13 Connected
    Hi joyclyn. I know exactly how you feel I'm waiting for my hearing and haven't got a clue as to what they will ask me let alone the answers I'm going to give them, I pee alot and have to ware thick pads I think it's very degrading having to tell strangers and men what pads I ware, I burst into tears many times a day thinking about the tribunal, I think the government and DWP are heartless putting disable people through degrading tormoil, i think when we have all put our papers and statements into the courts they should ask the dwp if they would reconsider their decision it might save a lot of us from going through with the tribunal.
  • WRIghtmax
    WRIghtmax Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    How successful are mandatory reassessments.?
  • Government_needs_reform
    Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
    edited March 2018
    WRIghtmax said:
    How successful are mandatory reassessments.?
    @WRIghtmax you would be very lucky if you get a 5% chance out 100. But you will have to do a MR first before starting an appeal. So I would start collecting evidence.

But do appeal if MR is turned down as that is a 69% rate to win.
    ⬇️
    I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
    This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

• Barbiesnemesis
    Barbiesnemesis Community member Posts: 86 Pioneering
    Hello Jocelyn, it is degrading and humiliating having to talk about your toileting needs to a stranger - I cried when I had to as well. The biggest indignity is that even when you do it is not taken in to account despite me having an occupational therapists' report. Why the government think its ok for disabled people to have to share such personal information with complete strangers is beyond me. I've been waiting 7 months so far for my appeal and its pure torture to think about what I might have to tell them when I finally get a hearing. I hope you have someone to support you when you are there; you too Beves.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Officially 20% of MR are successfull
    We don't see anything like this on the forums as most people that are successful never post

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • dconnell
    dconnell Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I am worried about what happens at the Appeal hearing too. We are appealing on behalf of my sister, who has learning & physical disabilities. The MR was unsuccessful. I don't know what is involved in the hearing and whether my sister will have to answer any questions or whether I will be able to speak on her behalf. I know she wont fully understand what is being asked of her, (which contributed to her assessment going so wrong in the first place)
  • Barbiesnemesis
    @ dconnell Have you asked the tribunal if you can be her 'Named Representative'? If you have, great, as you can go into the room with her and speak on her behalf. If not, ask to do so; put it in writing and send it the appeals address.
  • joyclyn
    joyclyn Community member Posts: 73 Courageous
    Hello Jocelyn, it is degrading and humiliating having to talk about your toileting needs to a stranger - I cried when I had to as well. The biggest indignity is that even when you do it is not taken in to account despite me having an occupational therapists' report. Why the government think its ok for disabled people to have to share such personal information with complete strangers is beyond me. I've been waiting 7 months so far for my appeal and its pure torture to think about what I might have to tell them when I finally get a hearing. I hope you have someone to support you when you are there; you too Beves.
    Yes support worker  but from whaI.I  hearing it doesn't seem to make much difference if u have to speak yourself like you torture it's  cruel it's killing me mentally.I think about it day night hope yours goes in your favour u could me know mine went in for Dec14  rang last  week lady said another 8/9 weeks
  • Barbiesnemesis
    @Jocelyn I've tried really hard to put it to the back of my mind and get on with other things but it doesn't really work. I find myself looking for the post every day and feeling anxious and disappointed when nothing arrives. At the same time I want to get it over with. I have mental health problems as well as physical and when I had to claim ESA in 2016 and PIP in 2017 I was admitted to a psychiatric hospital each time because of the stress. I'm really scared that will happen again...
  • dconnell
    dconnell Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    @ dconnell Have you asked the tribunal if you can be her 'Named Representative'? If you have, great, as you can go into the room with her and speak on her behalf. If not, ask to do so; put it in writing and send it the appeals address.

@Barbiesnemesis Thank you for this advice, I will sort this out.
  • Barbiesnemesis
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Officially 20% of MR are successfull
    We don't see anything like this on the forums as most people that are successful never post

CR
    Is that me or is that low? 
    I wonder if they just say no to make people appeal that seems to take a year overall?
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    There is much speculation about this. PIP was set up to be much harder to get which could be part of the reason. Some people do give up at this stage which maybe what the DWP want.

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    The DWP's target for MR success is 20% - 80% must fail.
    As Mike has said, the DWP are doing even better they are currently passing just 16% - well within target!!

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.