The Silent Child at the Oscars — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

The Silent Child at the Oscars

Sam_Alumni
Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
The Silent Child is the story of a girl who struggles to communicate,  and last night it was named best live action short film at the Oscars!

It  stars Maisie Sly, aged six, from Swindon, and Rachel Shenton, who also wrote the short film and tells the story of a profoundly deaf four-year-old called Libby, played by Maisie. She lives a silent life until a social worker, played by Shenton, teaches her how to communicate through sign language.

In her acceptance speech, Rachel used sign language and many have said it is a huge step forward for disability being represented in mainstream media.

What do you think about representation on screen? Do we see enough disabled actors, directors and writers in films? What do you think? Let us know.

Scope
Senior online community officer

Comments

• Alex
    Alex Posts: 1,305 Pioneering
  • Sam_Alumni
    Fantastic!!! 

Scope
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Sam_Scope   I wish we could live in a society that represents us in all media.  Whether film or TV or drama.

I watch a lot of films and it is always a actor or actress pretending to be disabled.  Understand this great acting in my opinion 

Films that include Scent of a Women with Al Pacino . Oscar winner.  Plays an army veteran who is portrayed as blind.

Rainman Dustin Hoffman as an austic savant.  Oscar winner.  These films are two I have picked out.  Because they are very believable.

Why is that so.?

There are films that the character is disabled.  They are disabled themselves and have the talent to prove it.  Yet the film industry may applaud this and give its a nod to an award.  

All the time has to prove themselves that they deserve it.  Constant struggle and strive to fight for any recognition.

Children of a Lesser God is one example the lead actress who is in real life deaf  No where to be seen.

Why is that so?
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • sallylucy
    sallylucy Community member Posts: 10 Courageous
    It is a wonderful thing, but unfortunately just a flash in the pan. In January I had to go for my UC health assessment, my son accompanied me I was sat in my wheelchair and close by another wheelchair user, a man who was waiting for his appointment pointed to us and said to the lady with him,that's where they park the mongs, my father was wheelchair bound when I was 12 and I got taunted, we haven't come very far I sometimes think, To be honest that remark really hurt I'm in tears thinking about it, sorry to go on a bit x
  • Sam_Alumni
    Oh my goodness @sallylucy that is AWFUL!! Im so sorry!
    Scope
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @sallylucy I am so sorry that has happened to you.   I am afraid there are people out there who seem we are a constant target.

How the disabled who are portrayed on the screen.  Some of the stories do show abuse and torment of their lives.  I do think is needs to be shown on the screen.   How it is effecting mentally and physically we as a community go through.

Also personally I can not watch any thing like that because it brings back memories.  Of my own nightmares I endured.

I did Social Studies which included a diversity part on ethnic and religious discrimination.  To I asked long time again.  After watching one of those films on the subject.  What about people like me?.  To the replies of hearing my own voice.

The teacher said why do you suffer then.  Of course had me out in front of the class and I let rip.

I had been bullied targeted and victimised since being in all schools.  Much to the denial of the Heads.

So what can we do as a community.  I get named called maybe now and again.  Muppet in the Lidl Carpark by a elderly guy parked in the disabled bay last year.

To which I walked up to him what did you say?  You have no right to say that.  His wife pensive pinched look in the car sitting staring ahead.

Never mind the only one you have hurt today is you.  Made a fool of yourself.  Then he drove off.  Mouthing some words..

I need to say something.  I do not sit down.

You do not have to suffer.  Please can I suggest I am here to listen and it is good to talk to you.

Take care

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Barbiesnemesis
    Barbiesnemesis Community member Posts: 86 Pioneering
    Hmm, "a caring social worker gives her the gift of communication". A touch of the Helen Kellers there methinks - the language used is passive rather than active.How about a social worker does her job well and enables a young deaf girl to communicate (which is her right after all!).
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    I enjoyed it just wanted to know what happens next.

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.