Hello- feeling lonely and isolated - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hello- feeling lonely and isolated

2»

Comments

• em15
    em15 Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    Hi, yes, I have and it's about an hour and a half journey for any group and they are at night, finish at eight and I will have to travel home on public transport, which is hard to do for that amount of time at that time of day.

As I said, I think I've exhausted all options and there's nothing for me to go to for support or feel less isolated.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Oh no, you're right @em15- that doesn't seem like an accessible option for you. You mentioned that you were on the outskirts of London, would you be comfortable sharing your location so we could see if we could approach things that way? 
  • em15
    I'm sorry, I had a think about it, and right now, I'm not altogether comfortable with saying my exact location on here.

Sadly I've just accepted now that there doesn't seem to be any services that I can fall back on, so am pretty much stuck in isolation.

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi again, @em15. I am so sorry you're having such a tough time. I see it was suggested that you might disclose your location and you hesitated to do so? Perfectly understandable. I wonder, though, if (provided you have not yet done so) you might send it by email to the Scope helpline? In that way it would not be publicised here but would perhaps enable the folks at Scope to try to help? Were you to do that, for example, I would not see the details, nor anyone who posts on here.
    It's only a thought.
    And I don't know quite how these things work and wonder if you have access to the messaging system yet? It's governed by the 'inbox' icon in your profile (though it looks to me rather like a pair of industrial goggles).
    Using that, if you can, or through posts here, please feel free to talk to me about anything - to rant, discuss or whatever. You have friends here, and I would like to be included in that number.
    Warmest best wishes to you
    Richard
  • em15
    I have disclosed my area on the phone and was told that there seems to be nothing available in my area.

It seems I will just have to accept the isolation I find myself stuck in.

I have to say though, I am far from remote here, it's not the ends of the earth, and so this shows exactly why so many people who have disabilities are feeling so isolated and depressed and even suicidal. For a great number of people there is nothing out there for them to do and isolation is a very real problem.

• JennysDad
    Hello again @em15 and I'm sorry it has taken so long to get back to you today. Hope you'll forgive me.

I am really, really grieved to learn that you find yourself in such an isolated position. I suspect that there are actually more than enough people in your area (though I genuinely don't know what area that is) to make forming a group worthwhile and who are also finding themselves isolated. They, too, have probably made enquiries, found there was nothing for them, and settled down as best they could to their isolation. What is clearly wanted is people to establish such groups, but Local Authorities will assert that they haven't the money to do it and volunteering seems to be becoming an old-fashioned concept - not least because it seems it can get in the way of benefits!

It's a poor situation, but some of us, anyway, are going to be doing what we can to change it. I don't mind sharing with you that I live in Sutton, Surrey, about 50 minutes out of central London. If I'm anywhere near you, send me a message or post on my wall and we'll see what happens.

You are very much not alone in the community. I'm impressed by the clarity of your expression and perspective and would love to chat with you about anything that is of interest to you. I am here, listening, (just sometimes, as today, away for a few hours because of other demands). Truth is, I would be here 24/7/365 if I possibly could be.

I'm here and I am listening.
    Very warmest best wishes to you,
    Richard
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    That's absolutely fine if you're not comfortable sharing your location, @em15. I'm so sorry that this continues to be an issue. 

This is just a thought I had and the idea may not appeal to you at all, but have you considered starting your own social group for people in your area in similar situations? If there really is nothing suitable already available, it might be something you'd like to consider, and it could be of benefit to many people. If you're interested, VoluntaryWorks may be able to help and there may even be grants you can apply for!
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @PippaScope Good morning thank you for this.  I appreciate this.

Been in mental health charity now left.   Trying to find support and help. Something to consider and look at.

Take care
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • em15
    That's weird, my post is awaiting approval.
  • em15
    That's absolutely fine if you're not comfortable sharing your location, @em15. I'm so sorry that this continues to be an issue. 

This is just a thought I had and the idea may not appeal to you at all, but have you considered starting your own social group for people in your area in similar situations? If there really is nothing suitable already available, it might be something you'd like to consider, and it could be of benefit to many people. If you're interested, VoluntaryWorks may be able to help and there may even be grants you can apply for!

In all honesty, it's not something I'm looking to do right now. I'm not looking to take on the responsibility and stress involved in starting up something like this. 

I'm really not well day to day and stress makes me even worse, I was looking for something I could just take myself to if and when I feel up to it. This would be too big of a responsibility for me and I would worry about if anyone would come and having to arrange it all.

I am just feeling far too isolated and alone and just wanted to pop into somewhere where I knew others felt like I did and no pressure on me.
  • em15

In all honesty, it's not something I'm looking to do right now. I'm not looking to take on the responsibility and stress involved in starting up something like this. 

I'm really not well day to day and stress makes me even worse, I was looking for something I could just take myself to if and when I feel up to it. This would be too big of a responsibility for me and I would worry about if anyone would come and having to arrange it all.

I am just feeling far too isolated and alone and just wanted to pop into somewhere where I knew others felt like I did and no pressure on me.
  • Barbiesnemesis
    Barbiesnemesis Community member Posts: 86 Pioneering
    @Em15 I can really understand the frustration of trying to find somewhere that you can just be and how depressing it is when you can't find what you're looking for. I'm sorry if this has already been mentioned but I wondered if you went at it from a different angle - by this I mean in terms of what you're interested in like crochet. For instance, are there any chat and knit groups where you are. I know its not the answer but it might be one way of breaking the isolation down a bit. 
  • JennysDad
    Hello Emma @em15
    Just a quick enquiry to see how you are.
    Still here and listening,
    Richard

Brightness