How many of us have memory problems — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How many of us have memory problems

whistles
whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
How do you prove this on the benefit forms?

Mine got dismissed despite it being part of my condition. This was explained in section 2 and section 5 and throughout what happens without help and why I need prompting.

It's invisible. The assessor did a cognitive test and I only remembered one two words in the wrong place.  I struggled to count backwards in sevens. But I have no impairments. If that's normal for everyone life really is ****  :) 
But from a pip point of view is it because it's just not bad enough to be a given a point in the first place? My memory is changeable. Good and bad days. 
Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.

Comments

• Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    I do. They didn't do a memory test and decided I didn't have memory issues. Memory issues / cognitive difficulties are a common side effect of the medication I'm on.

Like you, it's changeable. I had it last week where I couldn't remember which button to press on my coffee machine. A machine I use almost every single day. And then there's the days where I can't remember what I did with my keys. The keys I put in my pocket 2 minutes ago. And then there's walking out the door, getting half way down the road only to realise I forgot to take my medication.

But I don't know how I can prove any of that. I live alone; so it's not like I have my parents checking if I've taken my mediation or I've got my keys. They only know about the latter when I've turned up at theirs to ask for the spare key.
  • whistles
    I thought I solved the keys issue. I have a device for the spare outside that needs a code number. 
    If you can remember the number you can get in. 

If they ignore what's written and explained and decide in that hour you are fine, then I don't see how anyone can prove otherwise. 
    Locking yourself out is just consisted a hassle, not a risk. 

• deb74
    deb74 Community member Posts: 814 Pioneering
    i have hydrochephalus and my short term memory is really bad but it was completely ignored by the pip assessor. i also have problems with my speech but because i do remember somethings and my speech is ok some of the time it was not taken into consideration.
  • charlene
    charlene Community member Posts: 555 Pioneering
    I lost a set of car keys, in my home, within the first week of having my car.  That was over 3 years ago, and I have never found them since.  Like you Whistles, I had problems counting back in 7's, only got down to 80 and lost it all. Failed to spell the word world backward end, the assessor in her notes said I had spelt it backwards. Couldn't recall the 3 words she repeated to me and still can't, hey ho, it's great to know my memory is fine!
    When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
  • charlene
    I locked myself out of my house and couldn't get in!  A neighbor across the road came to help me and in the end I got in, bit the damage to the door was so severe, I had to buy a new door.  Did leave a key in the front garden, just in case I got locked out again, but guess what I don't know where I put it!,,
  • Nystagmite
    deb74 said:
    i have hydrochephalus and my short term memory is really bad but it was completely ignored by the pip assessor. i also have problems with my speech but because i do remember somethings and my speech is ok some of the time it was not taken into consideration.
    They claimed I don't have problems with my speech either. I've lost count the amount of times I've been told "we can't find you on the system" when giving my date of birth because someone's heard April as October. Or as was last night, I was asked something and all my mum heard was "thanks" and had to ask if I'd said yes or no. I'm forever having to repeat myself too.

I don't, unlike some people, have a strong accent.

Part of the argument with me having no memory issues was because I know how my life long disabilities affect me.
  • whistles
    It is actually a comfort to know the are others out there with memory issues. It's not just me or you. 
    I do keep a notebook because I find I have got into the habit of using it, though just because it's got the shopping list, doesn't mean its going to be remembered.

My £1 what change have you got question relies on you remembering what you wanted to buy. If someone distracts me that's it. Though to be fair that could be another product such as chocolate! 
    I don't do online shopping because I worry if i don't use my brain it will just wither away. My memory will be worse  not used. Plus I do feel going out daily is important for the fresh air.
  • charlene
    I  just try my best to limit mistakes due to bad memory.  I no longer do any motorway driving, after getting lost coming home from a friends.

i had driven up to Manchester just fine, mind u, one motorway runs into another.  On my home I  got lost and landed up in Ellesmere Port Liverpool.  Thankfully, 2 young workmen took pity on me, and they were heading for the same mottorway I needed to get home and said for me to follow them.  This I did and thankfully, although many hours late I arrived home.  So  forevear after No Motorway driving for me!
  • janejr
    janejr Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    I was given the keys to my new home a week before I was due to move in . Yes I lost them before even before i got back to my old flat and spent a week looking for them. I had to have all the locks changed. Moving nearly gave me a break down because I couldn't remember things. I ended up slipping a disk and had a bad case of shingles at the same time. My bad memory makes me anxious and being anxious makes memory worse. Can't remember appointments and turned up for a hospital appointment a month early. Madness
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • whistles
    I think when I get older it will be blamed on my age. 
    I did get told I have insight into my condition so can keep myself safe.

You only need to gas the house once before you get banned from cooking again!!!

But I am interested in whether certain foods could help. I take vit D and C daily at the moment. But I would rather find something to eat. 
    Any fruits boost memory? 
  • [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
  • charlene
    I don't mind it if I forget I'v bought tomato ketchup and land up with 4 or 5 in the cupboard. Or when emptying some cupboards have found a microwave still in its box, and other goodies.  

I get upset when I turn up for appointments a month and week early. Or the best one I had paid was paying  for my groceries in Sainburys, decided to speak to the Pharmasist about an illness, only then tried to go back through the pay desk putting my bags of groceries back on the belt, and tried to pay again.  Of course an Atos Assessor would say, I haven't a memory problem!
  • whistles
    Thanks. 
    Does it mean jigsaw puzzles. I might be a bit thick for crosswords. Maybe I could start with the simple ones. 

• [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
  • whistles
    I do have some corkers and yes we would go mad if we couldn't laugh about it. 
    But none of the above fits in these descriptors and that's all they are bothered about.

It's a pain to forget the programme you were watching because the adverts came on. Solution. Avoid the channels with excessive adverts. I said I watch films in the assessment to avoid that. But that didn't fit those descriptors. 
    We agreed it wasn't safe for me cook though, but the rest is fine because it's perry much zero risk. 
    Forgetting an appointment doesn't happen, I get taken. 
  • Nystagmite
    whistles said:

It's a pain to forget the programme you were watching because the adverts came on. Solution. Avoid the channels with excessive adverts. I said I watch films in the assessment to avoid that. But that didn't fit those descriptors. 
    I forget what I'm watching too. Or forget what's happened. But because it's on as background noise, (I have tinnitus too) I have no difficulties concentrating, apparently.

As for appointments - my GP surgery and hospital always text me the day before.

Brightness