Weight loss support — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Weight loss support

Options
ladypeterpan
ladypeterpan Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hello. I have an invisible self destruct button..... Whenever I lose weight..I am around 15 stone..I go into binge overdrive. I don't even notice I'm doing it until it's too late. I was down to 12 stone a few years ago and I loved it. I did things I couldn't do before because my butt wouldn't fit in the seats! But.. Self destruct kicks in and boom.. I'm back up again!! Please help. I have a very sweet tooth too and crave sweet stuff which is bad as carbs cause tachycardia/palpitations!!! 

Comments

• CaderMac
    CaderMac Community member Posts: 105 Pioneering
    Options
    I also have a sweet tooth @ladypeterpan so I know where you are coming from!!! 

You've obviously done well at losing weight before so perhaps with the right support you could do so again - of course with any weight loss or diet change, the most important thing is that you are healthy! It might be best to consult your doctor for advice before you take on any massive changes. 

I am a firm believer in "a little of what you fancy does you good" so I have always preferred diets like Slimming World or Weight Watchers - where you can still eat a varied and balanced diet and indulge in the odd chocolate too! Perhaps looking at their websites might be a good place to start and find some motivation? 
  • KirstenNutritionAdvisor
    KirstenNutritionAdvisor Community member Posts: 53 Courageous
    Options
    Hello, 
    in regards to your sweet tooth, try cutting down not out, have sugar free jelly, have fruits instead of sweets and make small sustainable changes that can be implemented long term.

in regards to self sabotage very often weight can be seen as an emotional protector, we sabotage ourselves because we feel safer that way, this pattern may benefit from self awareness, try journaling and working out the benefits thag come from self sabotage as that is what you need to change. 

For example i had client who used to lose and regain weight when she journaled she realised she didn't want other to feel threatened by her and felt more liked when she was larger so subconsciously always webt back to her comfort zone. 

Have a look at this website for sweet treat recipes https://liviaskitchen.co.uk/
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    Options
    Everything on TV, radio and billboard advertising encourages people to eat and drink to excess. The trick to any permanent weight loss is simply to eat less of what you normally do. It isn't rocket science. The only proviso is if something you eat is necessary for whatever you suffer from.

I gained weight most of my life from age 17 onwards. Apart from a couple of drops during my 2 divorces it steadily increased until 8 years ago I weighed 23.5 stone. Then I had teeth problems which necessitated eating more slowly. As I don't like cold maim meals much I gradually reduced portion sizes. I never dieted nor gave anything up except alcohol but that was a few years before I began losing weight. I have always had a sweet tooth, take sugar (usually to excess) and could not drink diet drinks as Aspartame gives me headaches. I do not eat a particularly good diet.

My weight currently hovers between 14 and 14.5 stone and my waist has dropped from 46 inches to 35 inches.

It all came about by simply eating less of what I have always eaten with a few minor changes because certain things are now difficult for me to chew properly.

However, no matter what my weight has been I was always happy with myself so I never pressured myself about it and I think that made the weight loss easier. Despite the heavy weight I used to be I haven't been told by any doctor in the last 15 years to lose weight.

I think it's really just about not being under pressure and not worrying about weight. Simply do not eat and drink as much as you see others around you doing. After all, most of the population from 30 onwards would prefer to weigh less than they do.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @ladypeterpan
    I have been making healthy changes to my diet and when I get that sweet tooth urge, I have been having a hot chocolate, I buy the Options hot chocolate that is low calorie and low sugar and still gives that chocolate hit!!
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 23 Connected
    Options
    Hi @peterpanlady
    I too have a sweet/savoury   craving. So today I spoke to my practice nurse to say I was very concerned about my weight  and she is referring me to start a weight loss programme . I started gaining weight through emotional eating because of various traumatic events. Being abused sexually and emotionally by parents and the emotional abuse continued into adulthood. So my way of coping was either scratching my skin so hard or eating to try to make myself happy. So I know that I have to through counselling/CBT deal with these issues or else it will be difficult to maintain a healthy weight. I have lost over 3 stone in 2011 only to have a major depressive episode. I hope that I can with support lose weight and keep it off.  Best of wishes to everyone fighting this.

Brightness