Worried about migration to Universal Credit — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Worried about migration to Universal Credit

despondent
despondent Community member Posts: 88 Connected
What I would like to know is if my rent becomes too much for me under Universal Credit (and I can really see that happening) and I try to move to a cheaper place will I automatically lose my transitional payments. Basically do you have to remain where you are in order to keep your transitional payments.

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello, I think we you are asking the wrong questions of the cumunity who most likely have no idea and can only assume and  speculate what may or might happen with  our current benefits if and when we have to migrate to universal credit. The best people to ask is DWP or put in a search engine your questions and see what answers you get. 
  • despondent
    I have trawled through the internet, and I guess because it is not happening until July 2019 there is no clarification. I am always anxious and not knowing if I am going to find myself stuck with a spiralling rent and frozen income increases my anxiety.
  • duckett123
    duckett123 Community member Posts: 81 Courageous
    most uc take to long to sort out you may get in arrears like I did waiting to get paid,plus you money may even be lower than what you had before because the way they work things out .
  • despondent
    Thank you for sharing your experience on universal credit. If anyone else out there who is on universal credit and it is their second year on it. I would be very interested to know if you become worse off, stay the same or get a rise in the second year.
  • kimbenson21
    kimbenson21 Community member Posts: 15 Connected
    Hi @despondent,
    I read with great interest your post about UC, like you I'm concerned about it. I went onto the link you provided, we will be worse of by £284 p/m approx, when doing the calculation they added £200 more than what we actually get, but taking that money off we would still lose the £284 p/m. The most confusing part was, it said above the result that we would not be entitled to UC. I really don't understand why. They really do want to confuse us. 
  • despondent
    Hi Kimbenson21, thank you so much for your feedback. Maybe and I'm guessing that if UC is not in your area yet that is why it said 'not entitled to UC''. Because your area is still on ESA.
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2018
    The benefits site is just a guide not gospel.
    It actually worked out my money wrong so I have answered your other thread and worked it out again. 

My biggest concern is going to every four weeks and being five weeks behind while they process. In theory you shouldn't be out of pocket because your current benefit is already in arrears.
    My money has recently dropped but it didn't happen straight off because they still owed me four weeks. 
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • despondent
    edited March 2018
    Hi Whistles, I know the money example tool is just a guide, but they are removing the sdp and the edp from universal credit, so if you are getting this now, on universal credit you will not and instead get a transitional payment, which will decrease each year in line with your uc rise, until it reaches 0. so they are freezing our benefits for years that is a fact.

The transitional payment is the sdp and edp and it will be eroded each year.

I understand your concern about being 4 weeks in arrears as currently it is only 2 weeks. The biggest problem will probably be from the landlord who will want you to pay your rent on time, and it is not their problem about when you get paid. So you may have to pay out of your own pocket 2 weeks rent.
  • whistles
    I don't want to pry and ask you what benefits you get.
    But my understanding of the new system will be that - 

Esa support group will be called UC limited capacity for work. This new benefit absorbs the edp into it. £79 a week. (that's the support group £36.55 edp £15.90 plus £25- possibly a dribble of sdp?)

• whistles
    Ps. 
    I think I could get a job in the government. Adding up isn't required. :)

But looking at the list of benefits its no wonder the county is as it is. It's not exactly simple! 
    I got pip points for budgeting and I can see why. I'm going round in circles as usual.
  • despondent
    edited March 2018
    As usual you are wonderful Whistles, for replying and giving such great feedback.
    I am in the support group of ESA at the moment pending my awful interview last week, who knows whats next. I also have PIP.

From what I understand the government has said that the PIP award gives the sdp and edp components and therefore it is not necessary to give it in the Universal Credit amount, as disabled people are being paid twice at the moment through the ESA support component and PIP. So therefore we need a pay cut. Which is where mandatory universal credit comes in (how convenient for them). Without Universal Credit, the government couldnt take sdp and edp off disabled people, but now because of the new system they can, and are going to.

Have you got a link to the information you provided, because that sounds very promising, and has given me some hope.
  • whistles
    The link is on your other thread. It shows you the amount of UC incapacity amount below the standard UC.
    I have guessed that amount is made up of what I said because it's more than our current ESA support, so coming from somewhere.
    New claimants are not going to see sdp, but the edp is blended in-I think.  :)

I have already lost the sdp so I won't get the transitional payment to make my money up, because it's lower already. 
    But, I get what you mean if you get pip care that they plan.to freeze those people until the  people that didn't get it catch up?? 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.