PIP mobility confusion — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP mobility confusion

Allyj
Allyj Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited March 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi, thanks for letting me join.  I am currently applying for.pip having previously been given full dla for life, 
I am struggling on how to start the mobility part .I have problems caused by fibromyalgia but don't want to write it incorrectly,as I mix stuff up a lot .
Any help would be gratefully received

Hate the process, have been precioprev to tribunal to get the dla then Theresa bloody May happened! 

Thanks in advance

Ally 

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Allyj and a warm welcome to the community. You've struck a bit of a quiet time here, but it does get busier :smile:
    I'm not qualified to comment on the PIP part of this, but we've some excellent people here who will get back to you as soon as they can. Bear with us, for now, but don't hesitate to tell us anything more about yourself or ask us any questions that may help us to help you.
    Warmest best wishes,
    Richard
  • Allyj
    That's so kind  Thank you. 
    Appreciate it very much .
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    @Allyj, hello and welcome have you done a self test on the site work and benefits site. The self test will give you a good idea how your claim may go. As for filling in your application form go for advice from the citizens advice CAB. As the anaswers you put in your applecation form will have to be justified at your face to face accessment. Good luck and keep posting and adding your views opinions to others posts.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Allyj, and welcome!

Citizens Advice have some great online guidance for filling in the PIP form, including a section that specifically deals with going out. Hope this helps, and do come back to us with any questions!
  • Allyj
    Thanks   I will look them up .X

• sandyp196
    sandyp196 Community member Posts: 142 Pioneering
    Im not an expert just a person who had difficulties filling in the form. I would say don't worry too much. I was really unwell when I filled in my form and tbh my form was a total mess. But I told them on the form I didn't understand some of thr questions and was finding the form difficult to complete and why were they even sending me a form 15 months before the enD of my award. I also told them (on the form) that noone from my family would help me fill it in as they were all too terrified of not filling it in correctly and how that might affect my claim in any way and my OT was on holiday and couldn't help me get the form in before their very short deadline. I wasn't happy and stated this on the form. 
    The assessment is thr the most important aspect of the claim, just do your best with the form and be honest if your finding it difficult to complete, because at least then you are letting them know the reason for any lack of info or confused responses, which in a small way will make it harder for them to make assumptions about your abilities.  
    The mental health team were worried about me filling in thr form on my own but when they saw the form i filled in my OT was relieved and said it was a good reflection of how difficult things like communicating stuff are for me. I never thought of it that way and assumed my form would be the end of my claim. But yes my OT is right. I see that now. 
    The govt make things so hard and complicated and there seems to be lot's of trickery. It's exhausting and impossible to second guess them, so just be yourself on the form as well as the assesment.    
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,328 Disability Gamechanger
    Allyj said:
    Hi, thanks for letting me join.  I am currently applying for.pip having previously been given full dla for life, 
    I am struggling on how to start the mobility part .I have problems caused by fibromyalgia but don't want to write it incorrectly,as I mix stuff up a lot .
    Any help would be gratefully received

Hate the process, have been precioprev to tribunal to get the dla then Theresa bloody May happened! 

Thanks in advance

Ally

I can't help you fill that part of the form in because i have no idea how your conditions affect you daily. What you do need to remember is that the criteria for PIP is different to DLA. DLA mobility was 50 metres but PIP Enhanced mobility is up to 20 metres. Also remember the other criteria when answering ALL of those questions,  regularly and reliably, without pain and discomfort. Good luck.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi Allyj and welcome

You are not required to walk pain free but any pain that restricts the distance that you can walk should be taken into account.

Specifically for the Moving Around activity, if you are able to walk but you are in severe pain when doing so, then you can argue that your walking is not to a necessary standard and should be disregarded.

The legal test requires you to stand and then move (walk), so if you have problems getting up then you should document these as well.

If you walk slowly then it must take you at least twice the time to cover the 20m as a healthy person would, this could be down to the speed of your walking but could also be the result of having to stop.

You must be able to repeat the distance, so if you could walk it once but not then be able to walk it again within a reasonable timescale then you should be classed as unable to repeat the activity.

CR

Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.