Complaints — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Complaints

ash5896
ash5896 Community member Posts: 141 Pioneering
ive now decided to make a complaint about what happened at my assessment. Would it be better to complain in writing or by phone?

Ash
Ash 

Comments

• Norton2018
    Norton2018 Community member Posts: 19 Connected
    Writing . I've just had a reply Thursday.
    Saying they are looking into it... Lol. 
    Also put complaint into Atsos think that's how it's spelt... It's company dwp use to get staff to do assessments... I got her name and I. Do. Number and submitted a.. 10 page letter... Once I started writing.. I couldn't stop...!! She was awful.. Rude no eye contact... Look bored out of of her head..staff nurse... AND.... that gives you knowledge in every aspect of heart.. Kidneys.. Diabetes.. Depression and anxiety.. Chronic pain.. Arthritis.. Osteoarthritis.. Polands SYMDROME.. The list is endless... You go girl....!!!
    They need to be taken down...... 
  • debsidoo
    debsidoo Community member Posts: 325 Pioneering
    Hi Ash5896
    Any complaint you make should be done in writing.Sent signed for and keep a copy of everything.This is the only way to make sure nothing goes amiss and the signatures are proof that somebody the other end has received it.
    Telephone calls often disappear into the system unclogged and never replied to.
    Good luck.
       Debsidoo.x
  • Norton2018
    Norton2018 Community member Posts: 19 Connected
    I agree... I've kept copies as they do SEEM.. to go astray.. X

• ash5896
    Thank you Debsidoo and Norton2018.
    I’ve been advised to complain so I’m going ahead with it. 
    Tha ks again guys and I’ll keep the original post updated.....
    Ash 
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    I complained in writing. I was told to prove they were lying as it's her word against mine and my friends. You only have to read the report to see she was lying.
  • ash5896
    A quick update:
    I called the customer services number to confirm the email address and also the postal address to put my complaint in as the electronic form was not coming up online. This is what I was told:
    The policy has now changed and all complaints must be in writing and need to be done via the PIP assessments form and we don’t take complaints over the phone or by email. I said that’s fair enough and if you could send me the “complaints pack” as she called it. Received that this morning and in this pack it says complaints can be made via phone, email or in writing.
    Have I missed something here? 
    It’s the same pamphlet that’s online with the exact same details.
    Ash 
  • GizmoTiddles
    GizmoTiddles Community member Posts: 159 Pioneering
    Crayzy or what ?
  • ash5896
    Crayzy or what ?
    It’s ridiculous and they are just taking the P**s
    Ash 
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    I’d call again and ask to speak to a team leader/ supervisor as your getting conflicting information 
  • ash5896
    susan48 said:
    I’d call again and ask to speak to a team leader/ supervisor as your getting conflicting information 
    i called them earlier and the response now was “I’m not sure why the pack said that you can call or email as we don’t take complaints online anymore” when I pointed out what it says she goes “oh ok we must do then”
    so what I have now done is I emailed the address saying I want to complain and within a few minutes got a reply saying can I provide NI number and what the complaint is about.
    its a shambles not any of them know what the process is.
    Ash 
  • susan48
    @ash5896

exactly why we have no faith in the system when employees don’t even know the procedures, surly they have guidelines on there computer systems!!
  • ash5896
    susan48 said:
    @ash5896

exactly why we have no faith in the system when employees don’t even know the procedures, surly they have guidelines on there computer systems!!
    That’ll be too hard for them to check. Lot easier to fob you off and cut you off.
    its ridiculous how the disabled, sick and vulnerable are treated
    Ash 
  • sleepy1
    sleepy1 Community member Posts: 297 Pioneering
    Headless chickens springs to mind, I don't think any of them know what they are meant to be doing from one day to the next. 
    @susan48......guidelines on there computer Lol.  If those running the department  cant even do a simple thing like change the contact phone number on the letters they send out after several months, what are the chances?

@ash5896......rang them again today about getting a copy of the assessors report and was told yes it will be with you in 5 to 7 days, after being told previously not allowed until decision has been made (we shall see if ours arrive!).
  • susan48
    @sleepy1,
    I wasn’t aware of the incorrect number but I guess it’s a fair point. Was just saying any large organisation Iv worked for all had procedures, processes on the system, whether they are used is another matter. 

• sleepy1
    sleepy1 Community member Posts: 297 Pioneering
    Hi Susan, if you call the number on the letter you get an automated voice to tell you the number has been changed and to call the new number,this has gone on for months. 
    I just call the number on the latest letter in front of me and get told the same thing (call another number).  Its just a lucky dip who you get ; )

• ash5896
    To be clear:

a) always complain in writing and keep a copy.

b) reference the DWP PIP assessment provider guidance. You can find it easily enough online. If you can’t link to that you’re already struggling. 

c) they do take complaints by email. I do them by that route on a regular basis. 

d) no point in calling them liars. Near impossible to prove that legally.

e) they aim to provide an initial response within 20 working days but either fail miserably or provide a superficial response. Persist and write back picking holes in their first response. They’ll usually not put your first complaint to the HCP. Always good to insist that they do. My fave was “they were out of the office at the time of writing”. My polite response was along the lines of “I’m sure they’ll be back by now!” 2 points suddenly got recommended as 8. 

f) in your case it’s going to be important to insist they enter the incident in the accident book or confirm that they haven’t. 

Going down the email route and will also print out and post it too. My wife’s sorting it as I’m absolutely rubbish at writing complaints. She was also there which will make it easier for her aswell 

Ash 
  • ash5896
    edited April 2018
    So received a letter today reference the complaint. It’s all been denied by the nurse. She said she asked if I was ok but she didn’t. 
    Reference the fall 
    I can confirm that the incident in question did take place during the assessment. The chair in question has been removed from the assessment centre, an incident form wa a completed on the day in accordance with internal policy. I can confirm that all of our assessment centres are equipped in accordance with DWP guidelines and have been inspected.

The client states that following the fall the HP did not offer assistance and did not check if he was ok or needed assistance.
    The HP refutes this allegation and states she did ask if he was ok and did not assist as she has a pre-existing back problem. However as I was not at the assessment and in the absence of independent witnesses I am unable to fully resolve this element of the complaint.

Conclusion,
    I am sorry that You felt distressed by the assessment process. On investigation however, I can see no wrong doing by the HP and the correct procedure regarding the reporting of incidents has been followed. However, as I was not present at the assessment and in the absence of any independent  witnesses, I cannot fully resolve the allegation.

basically banging my head against the wall 

Ash 
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    So sorry to hear this, @ash5896. Have you considered taking it further?

If you’re not satisfied

If you’ve been through all our complaints stages, received our final response and still aren’t satisfied, you can ask the Independent Case Examiner (ICE) to look at your complaint. You must contact them within 6 months of getting our final response and send them a copy of it.

The Independent Case Examiner can’t look at matters of law or government policy. They won’t look at benefit or maintenance decisions, for example, because you can appeal against these.

If they accept your complaint, they will look at what happened and what we did about it. If they think we should have done more, they will ask us to put matters right. They will act as an impartial referee and you will not be charged for their service.

If you don’t agree with the response from the Independent Case Examiner, you can ask your MP (or any other MP) to send your complaint to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman.

• ash5896

If you’re not satisfied

If you’ve been through all our complaints stages, received our final response and still aren’t satisfied, you can ask the Independent Case Examiner (ICE) to look at your complaint. You must contact them within 6 months of getting our final response and send them a copy of it.

The Independent Case Examiner can’t look at matters of law or government policy. They won’t look at benefit or maintenance decisions, for example, because you can appeal against these.

If they accept your complaint, they will look at what happened and what we did about it. If they think we should have done more, they will ask us to put matters right. They will act as an impartial referee and you will not be charged for their service.

If you don’t agree with the response from the Independent Case Examiner, you can ask your MP (or any other MP) to send your complaint to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman.

If you’re not satisfied

If you’re not satisfied

Yes I am going to do that. I’ve left a message for the person that wrote back today but not heard back yet. 
    I called them and she said the next procedure is to contact the person named on the complaint he will pass it onto someone else and then I go to the independent examiner. I’m not going to drop it will take it as far as I can 
    Ash 
  • ash5896
    I don’t understand if she had a back problem why is she doing the job? 
    When checking my ankles and legs she was able to squat down and get up 3 times without any problems at all. She didn’t need anything to support herself or anything. They are just evil liars 
    Ash 

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.