What does pain and depression look like? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What does pain and depression look like?

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • Nystagmite
    Nystagmite Community member Posts: 596 Pioneering
    Options
    I've met people with things like bi polar, schizophrenia, etc. I only knew because they told me. They (the illnesses) don't have a look, which is what it seems the assessors / DWP are implying here.

I've been told more than once I shouldn't have my bus pass (I'm registered partially sighted) because I "look fine" and because I wear glasses. There's the odd visual impairment where it's clear there's an issue with the eyes, which I thankfully don't have. But you can't tell what someone sees just by looking at them.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Victoriad said:
    Hello @whistles
    I also believe that having a driving liscence also has a lot to do with the points.

You  gave me food for thought on a thread you’d posted ( can’t remember which) on earlier about forgetting to mention Id had my licence revoked on my application form.

Next week when feeling a bit better .......still feeling off due my shingles etc.
    I will see about mentioning this when phoning up the dept that awarded me PIP.

I think having had your driving liscence revoked on medical grounds by the DVLA ( who are VERY thorough)
    adds on the points.

In what descriptor would this add points ?
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I don't think invisible illnesses have a look. That's why it's called invisible.
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    They do have guidelines to follow you can download that. But it's interpretation and assumption.

My choice of clothes tells you nothing about how long it took to put them on. Our whether I have chosen then because I struggle with clips or lack confidence to wear anything else. 
    My guess is having an assessment in January and wearing a summer dress could be seen as inappropriate and scores points. However that could also say I'm eccentric and I don't feel the cold. Someone would stop me going out like that- so I would be dressed ok! That's what the forms said. Someone prompts the correct choices.  
    I scored when I set foot out of the house though. I won't be in a summer dress so you can lose that image. I don't own any.  :)

As a totally different subject on appearances and behaviour, the police are trained to recognise suspect behaviour and they say a criminal doesn't have a "look" 
    So maybe that's it @Victoriad the behaviour. Though that requires a lot of training and subject knowledge. 
    I think the subject is interesting, and we do make a judgement about someone meeting them for five minutes. 
    A male assessor might view someone wearing a sack as well kempt!
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    After years of chronic pain I’ve been diagnosed with fibromyalgia by going to a different doctor . What does it look like? My GP says it’s the symptoms I have and it’s the way the brain perceives pain in the body. He says I feel pain MORE. He says it makes me Hypersensitive. Does that draw a picture for you, or is it just me  being able to because it’s me, lol. Assessors need a clear method of understanding invisible illness. Maybe an invisibility meter?
  • debbiedo49
    Options
    @whistles onslaught at invisible reply
  • debbiedo49
    Options
    What ! P M S L !
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • debbiedo49
    Options
    It was my keyboard lol
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • debbiedo49
    Options
    Yep you got me!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.