Fibromylagia, degenerative disc disease - carer for daughter and grandson — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Fibromylagia, degenerative disc disease - carer for daughter and grandson

SandyFoxieD
SandyFoxieD Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi i am disabled  with degenerative disc disease and 7 herniated discs with nerve impingement L5,arthritis in my ankles and fybromyalgia but also a carer of my daughter and main carer for my 8 month old grandson as my daughter is not able to care for him on her own. My daughter has moderate learning disabilities and is dyslexic, dyspraxic and dyscalculic. I have also just lost my Husband after a 6 month fight with bowel cancer and a diagnosis of Lynch Syndrome. I have just joined and look forward to finding out more about the community.

Comments

• Lasian_Alumni
    Lasian_Alumni Community member Posts: 659 Pioneering
    Hi @SandyFoxieD, welcome to the community.

I'm so sorry for your loss and for what you have been through. Are you getting any support?

I hope you feel safe and supported on the community. There's plenty of groups and discussions which you can get involved with, whether it be to ask for some help and support, or just to chat with other members. 

Please do let us know if you have any questions!

• SandyFoxieD
    SandyFoxieD Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I am getting family support at the moment but waiting for hospice counselling to be offered
    It is Mac'c funeral tomorrow so big day to get through. I will have a proper look at everything in a few days time. Thank you for your kind works and thoughts 

• Lasian_Alumni
    Lasian_Alumni Community member Posts: 659 Pioneering
    Hi @SandyFoxieD

I'm glad that you have your family there for you, and I hope your counselling comes through soon.

I've been thinking about you and what your family is going through today and although I don't have the right words, I hope you know we're here for you. No pressure to reply, take all the time (or as little time) as you need.
  • jewly
    jewly Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    I completely understand your difficulties. I have degenerative disc disease. I prolapsed L5 in August 2011 but didn't get the discectomy I needed until April 2012. After the operation I was in even more pain than ever and eventually diagnosed with failed back surgery syndrome. I lost the use of my right hand for 3 months each time due to bulging discs in my upper spine. I have a spinal cord stimulator now which hasn't worked. I am in chronic agonizing pain which never gives me a minutes break. I have an impingement of the nerves and get regular spasms in both legs. I have arthritis in my knees and struggle with the chronic pain every day. I am also caring for my husband who has progressive multiple sclerosis and trying to be a housewife with all the work that entails. As his condition worsens I truly do not know how I am going to cope. I see a psychologist every few months due to terrible depression but have just been told she has lost her funding so I am now getting no support at all. I am truly at the end of my tether and believe I will emotionally implode at some point. Everyone has given up on me, I have tried everything that has been offered from acupuncture to hydrotherapy and nerve blocks and epidurals and nothing has worked. I have so much to deal with and I am struggling to look after myself. I am so sorry for your loss. And hope you can find the help you obviously desperately need to help you cope. I am glad you have support from your family to help with the emotional burden.

Brightness