Obsessive behaviour — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Obsessive behaviour

Options
jenna86
jenna86 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited April 2018 in Autism and neurodiversity
hi, my son is 5. He was seen by a paediatrician when He was just 4.. he has a few things going on, joint hypermobility, he goes to speech therapy, doesn’t like loud noises, anxiety etc etc. Strange behaviours. She didn’t think there were sings of him having asd. 
I am convinced he is autistic. He has been “playing church” everyday for over 2 years... I’d say that is a child with asd and an obvious obsession but maybe I’m wrong?

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @jenna86
    There is some information on the National Autistic Society website about getting a diagnosis that might be useful to you?

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • jenna86
    Options
    Thanks, I have looked on there. Just wondered if anyone had an opinion on that behaviour that’s all! Thank you
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I hope other members will be able to share their thoughts soon! :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @jenna86 there should be people at school whom you could talk to about your concerns. They will be able to monitor how he is there or refer to other professionals for help if needed. This activity he does, I wouldnt read too much into it if its just that one thing. But if you are concerned then you should ask for more than one opinion. Are there any other behaviours that concern you? Keep a diary and then use that for backup when talking to professionals.  Good luck.
  • jenna86
    Options
    Thanks for your feedback, School are now concerned too. He has IEP in place for handwriting, speech, gross motor skills and there is concern about poor concentration. He gets very angry at home and would rather stay home and play School or church than go out. He doesn’t like loud noises, scared of hand dryers etc and he doesn’t like places that are busy, even at home if we have family members round he asks to go upstairs or in the conservatory., he acts out everything he sees eg if the postman comes, he’s the postman the list goes on! 

Brightness