Autistic adults meeting others and relationships — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Autistic adults meeting others and relationships

paicej
paicej Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited April 2018 in Autism and neurodiversity
One of my main issues I have had all my life concerning autism is as a man with autism how other people - particularly younger women would see and accept me as a person with autism. For years I felt too ashamed to tell anyone - especially women as I feared they in particular would be most likely to look down on me like I'm a piece of ****. It always seemed to me 90% of them all wanted someone "competitive", "confident", "tough", "normal" and would see anyone who's shy or with any difficulties as "weak" or a "failure". I would like to think this fear I've had all these years has been more in my head than for real but this is how I felt all these years (decades even!). My biggest ambition is that people with autism - men and women can be accepted in society and as potential partners just a much as anyone else without the fear of being regarded as sub-human or a "laughing stock" in society. I guess much of this is perhaps due to the past and the horrible experiences I had at school. Bullying was rife and even some of the girls were pretty nasty. Unfortunately it still follows me now. But either way I would just like to think that every man and woman with whatever handicaps they might have can be accepted without this fear of being looked down on like they're an invalid. Because that's how I felt all those years. It made me think there isn't a place for autistics in the relationship world. Sorry this sound's so negative and if you think I'm wrong in what I'm saying I can only say how glad and happy that make's me.

Comments

• timoglock
    timoglock Community member Posts: 23 Courageous
    Hi  @paicej .  

Bullying in whatever form is not nice and can lead to long term issues that keep returning.  Some people get some relief by getting counselling.  Emotional distress can affect your health so do take care of yourself. You are not alone.   Some people join groups run by others on autistic spectrum. Or join a group that interests them and from there you can build friendships. I believe autism is quite common so different , not a disability but different - that is all.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @paicej
    Welcome to the community and thanks for sharing.

It feels like ASD is being talked about more and more now and as more people are open about it, it becomes better understood and less taboo.

We have an ASD category that you might like to look through and connect with other members?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness