Blue Badge charges at hospital? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Blue Badge charges at hospital?

Sam_Alumni
Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
edited October 2017 in Transport and travel
Dean on facebook has shared this information. do you know anything about it?

Just a reminder to all my friends who are Blue Badge Scheme holders and who haven't visited your local hospital since before July 2017; many hospitals are now charging disabled people to park on Blue Badge spaces, even with badges displayed!

My local hospital in Blackpool gave me a warning notice in August, as I'd packed, but not paid, but warned if I parked again with paying, I will be fined. My vehicle registration number has been recorded.

I mention this again, because a friend of mine got a caught out when she returned to her vehicle yesterday from an appointment, but was issued with a Fixed Penalty Notice.
The best advice I can offer, is to telephone the Car Park Office of the hospital you are visiting, for clarification on charges. The more affluent areas pay less!

I complained to the Chief Executive of my Hospital Trust, because I disagree with the new rules. But the new rules are here to stay folks, so be aware.

Scope
Senior online community officer

Comments

• Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    Quite often the facilities provision is given to an external contractor.

At the hospital I go to there are only a few free disabled places. The contractor's car park has none and everyone pays there including the staff !

There is no obligation to provide free disabled parking.
  • Blue Frog
    Blue Frog Community member Posts: 358 Pioneering
    Yes this seems to be happening more and more.  To be honest, as long as we can find a space I don't mind paying - if it helps the NHS.  It seems very reasonable in Dean's case giving him a warning first.  
  • WhenTaniaTalks
    WhenTaniaTalks Community member Posts: 4 Connected
    I'm glad that Dean was given a warning rather than a fine. It's not always possible to know every time the rules change and the hospital in question have clearly realised this and taken appropriate steps.

I don't mind paying to park at a hospital, within reason. One of my hospitals charges £7 per hour with no discount when parking on a disabled badge. Their disabled car park is regularly full, which means we pay an extortionate amount of money for facilities that aren't suitable (a regular parking space). My husband now drops me off and picks me up, because it's cheaper and easier.
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    There is an alternative for some. The hospital is obliged to provide Hospital Transport for those unable to attend on their own or with a carer. The transport is by a 1 or 2 person ambulance (not an emergency one). It would be worth checking if this is a viable option. I have to use it myself. Partly because of my physical issues but more so because I am terrified of going to hospital on my own and need someone with me. Being pushed in a wheelchair by someone in uniform makes it easier but still difficult.

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Blue Frog
    Blue Frog Community member Posts: 358 Pioneering
    Slightly off topic, the hospital near my mum and dad has a park and ride scheme.  There's a big free car park where you wait for a bus.  My mum was there early, and a car pulled up, reversed into a bollard, the driver ran out - climbed into the bus, said hello to everyone and started to drive it to the hospital :s  I think we will take our chances trying to find a space actually at the hospital!!! 
  • BrianC
    BrianC Community member Posts: 16 Listener
    I visited Birmingham Dental hospital the other day and had to pay for parking even in ♿ space.
    But the new Queen Elizabeth hospital in Birmingham has free ♿ parking if you are lucky enough to find an official ♿ space.
    But I wouldn't be surprised if things change and they fall in line with everybody else and start charging for ♿ spaces.
    Personally I think we should all pay for parking ♿ or not, we're no different from anybody else using the facilities at hospitals. 
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    If you are on a low income, you may qualify for an HC2 certificate which can cover the cost of transport to appointments including parking as well as help with other NHS services.

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • BrianC
    BrianC Community member Posts: 16 Listener
    That sounds interesting who or where do we have to go to claim a HC2?
    Thank you for that info I'm sure a lot of people will be interested. 
  • CockneyRebel
    You can apply by filling in an HC1 available from hospitals, dentists, opticians and pharmacists or you can down load a form to fill in.

https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/nhs-low-income-scheme/hc2-certificates

CR

• Markmywords
    Markmywords Community member Posts: 419 Pioneering
    Individual hospitals might have a monthly permit discount too but that won't get you a disabled space outside the door. :/
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    I have never understood the logic in disabled spaces placement. Considering the Blue Badge distance restrictions they are always further away from the entrance than that. If the Blue Badge defines the distance of mobility then why  don't the planners use some common sense to put them close enough?

TK
    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • Talon
    Talon Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    I've always paid as have never found parking in the allocated area . I take my badge & ticket to reception & get a reduced price , so I don't mind paying .
  • CockneyRebel
    one of the hospitals that we have to visit charges a flat rate of £2 all day.for BB parking. It has become a practice for regulars to pass on their ticket when leaving to an incoming car.
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    My hospital RUH at Bath has free parking for blue badge holders using disabled bays or not as long as your car is registered with the badge details there is no time limit, you can have two cars registered per blue badge. But you have to still display your badge while parking in Bath city car parks your lucky to get a disabled bay but you still have to pay.
  • booth273
    booth273 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    I feel sorry for the staff having to pay to park! I once had an appointment and could not find any  blue badge spaces.... had to walk what felt like 100 miles to get to the hospital appointment ! 
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/insidecroydon.com/2018/03/31/confusion-at-mayday-hospital-car-park-over-blue-badge-charges/amp/  

Puzzles me because you have to buy the badge and then pay to park. If you can't get into the space, you may as well not bother with the badge.  :/
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • janejr
    janejr Community member Posts: 149 Pioneering
    I find hospital car parking in Birmingham extortionate with or without my blue badge. Wouldn't mind if it was going to the hospital fund.
    Slightly off the subject everytime I go to the supermarket (not so often of late) seems everyone is disabled and forgot their badge. Unfair to us that are is all I'm going to say. Shame on them
  • snuggly
    snuggly Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    At pilgrim hospital be aware in the disabled car park the yellow markings for the bays are worn away you can’t hardly see them .my brother took my elderly parents to hospital both of them have blue badges.it was dark and raining my brother parked in what he thought was a bay .the two car park attendants watched him get out of the car and getting my disabled elderly parents out when they came back the car park attendants had stuck a parking fine on his window screen not even visible as they had rolled it up somehow under his wiper blade and he only saw it once driving which was dangerous.
    the fine was for not parking in a bay you see you get the bays then right next to them is just tarmac but it was dark the lines of the bays have been badly worn away but the fact these attendants stood there and watched him without saying a word. My brother appealed but got some excuse back so paid the fine.
    next time we went they charge had gone up by 20 p they had just stuck a sign on the machine but I had just took the right amount of money with me what it was before I put it in the machine and it gave out a car parking ticket I went back to my brothers car he said no they are trying to catch people out and he went back and put the new amount in I didn’t know he had change with him. But how many people would park up but only have the old amount of money with them or not even notice the sign stuck on the machine.
    but with the fine money they could paint the bays properly but they won’t why they lay in wait for folk not being able to see the bays especially at night.
  • jaycee6
    jaycee6 Community member Posts: 52 Courageous
    I hate the high charges at our local hospital.I would be happy to pay if it went back into the NHS,But a nurse told me the money goes to a private company, Greed is all its about,,

Brightness