Thought about it — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Thought about it

whistles
whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
Briefly.

I looked into Meet Ups, found a local group for my area. In  the info it says- 

"If you are unsure what risks an event may bring, please ask. Risks can range from dietary needs, to slips, trips and falls, and worse. If you are still unsure, then sadly, we would advise you to stay at home"

^^ that doesn't sound very friendly to me and that they are not looking to be accessible to disabilities.

"Please be aware that we encourage photos to be taken at events, and these my end up posted in various places such as social media. If you specifically do not want your picture posted, then it is your responsibility to discuss this with the person taking or posting the photograph"

How am I going to be keeping my eye on everyone with a camera. 
I do take photos, but I would never just freely post them all over the Internet. You wouldn't publish photos of people in a book or magazine without that persons consent- and they usually get paid!
I'm not on social media, I don't want myself identified to a group that links where I live.

Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.

Comments

• susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    @whistles,

Thats not a very friendly or inviting way to get new members for a group, nor disability friendly.

ai would keep looking online or are you gp for groups
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Oh dear, it's not worded in a very friendly way is it!

I would say with the risks that it's different from accessibility, the meet up groups can be anything from meeting for a cup of tea to a mountain biking trek, perhaps they are just saying that there could be risks and they wouldnt be liable for them?  It is definitely worth getting in touch with any accessibility needs though.

Regarding the photos, I think it would just be saying at the beginning of a meeting that you dont want your photo taken.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @whistles Understand this.  A lot of this to prevent being compensation culture claims.  I recall one time a centre I attended for disabled had a open door policy.  Unfortunately people were coming in looking for a fast buck.

You got to believe me.  Slipped in the toilet whereas form to fill in.  Accident..

I fell in a toilet one of these lights sensor you are there. As I did not move .  Light went off. . Me tripping banging my hand and arm.  Told guy about the lack of notice saying about the light.  Told him want a notice disclaimers.

Just a bruise did I claim no thanks.  I am not like that.  My friend claiming a light bulb from a toilet fell on her head.  She did

Understand all societies and places have liability insurance.  Costs are high for this.  So if they have an accident not covered you could technically sue them.  If slipped, fallen and any other mishaps.

Same with diets how many of us read in papers nut allergy.  At restaurant serves nuts in dishes but not tell the customer.

As for photos and social media I am one for not having photo taken.  Because do not want family finding out where I am.

Have done so in the past and contacted the organisation concerned made problems for me.

Also did you know they often want you photo for evidence in funding applications.  If they want funding need to show what they do.  To the Lottery or who ever they are applying funding to.  I did not know this until joined a charity.  That is why they ask you.

I also used to volunteer and the amount of paper work bedtime reading I used to take home ridiculous.  Friend who still sorts of volunteers all his one side of a room.  Large book case filled with up with the amounts of rules and regulations concerning where he volunteers.  All in binders labelled. 

Have to do this three day course on everything a volunteer needs to be aware of because claims and possible health and safety infringements.  

The Spiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    Actually that post reminds me of the public toliets I used that said if you were too long it would inform security.  :o 
    That's the quickest penny I ever did! 
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Yeah most meet up stuff looks dodgy to me
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    I suspect that their wording has to do with liability. I'm betting that their insurance requires that they make it very clear.

As for photos, their policy is awful! I'd write to them and suggest a change. I used to LARP (live-action role playing - dress up as elves, carry padded sticks, and attack each other), before I became disabled. It was ridiculous and fun and great exercise. Some of the people who played couldn't have pictures of them doing this kind of thing online - family court judges, police, etc. Our policy was that you can feel free to take whatever photos you want, but you never, ever put them up on social media without asking every person in them if it's OK with them. Simple. It's not a hardship.

• [Deleted User]
  • fishingmum
    fishingmum Community member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    whistles said:
    Actually that post reminds me of the public toliets I used that said if you were too long it would inform security.  :o 
    That's the quickest penny I ever did! 

OMG seriously. security "knock knock excuse me what are you doing in there?", poor little dude on the toilet,  building a space shuttle.

life is too short to let others make you miserable.
  • [Deleted User]

Brightness