Need a blue badge but only have standard PIP — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Need a blue badge but only have standard PIP

candycane66
candycane66 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited April 2018 in Transport and travel
i jst wanted to ask for some advice as i have been tryin to get a bluebadge due to me having arthritus in all my joints an baddler problems i cant wait to get to the toilet i have had a few accidents in car parks but they still say no an pip refused to up my pip as bladder probs dont come under there list of illnesses but a over active bladder should be higher rate due to how serious it is i am under the hosp for this an they still wont help 
my atheritoritus i cant walk at times the joints lock up so find it relly hard to get about had to ops on shoulders but still not right an they dont help with this i only get standard rate its all wrong to me 
any advice welcome 

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @candycane66, and welcome to the community!

So sorry to hear about your experiences, I hope we can help. You mentioned that you weren't getting a higher rate of PIP- did you do an MR, or have you been to tribunal? 
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @candycane66

If you get certain benefits you'll automatically be able to get a Blue Badge. The application will be straightforward. 

It's still worth applying if you're not automatically eligible, but you'll need to have very severe problems moving your legs or arms. The application will be more complicated, because you'll have to describe your mobility problems in a lot of detail. 

I get standard rate PIP but applied for a blue badge, the process required more input and explanation of why I felt I needed the badge, but I did succeed in getting one so it is definitely still worth trying!

There is lots of information here.

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • lixsharp13
    lixsharp13 Community member Posts: 34 Connected
    Hi i get standard pip and automatically  became eligible. Hope this helps
    Liz
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    If you get at least 8 points PIP mobility for moving around then you automatically qualify for a Blue Badge.
  • candycane66
    i only have 4 points but thats my point because of my weak bladder i should get more because i cant make it to the loo without accidents but this does not come into pip an i have athritus in joints so find it very hard to get there i have no warning when i want to go i jst need to get to the loo quicky i have had alot of wetting myself out in public an have to go straight home again because i couldnt make it to the loo in time this is why i should get a blue badge because driving round an round an u want the loo an the only parking space is missions from the shop with loos an u have to get there its dam hard an very painful 
  • Matilda
    Moving around points are only awarded for walking difficulties.  Local councils have discretion to award Blue Badges to those not automatically eligible.  Ask your local council.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Matilda said:
    Moving around points are only awarded for walking difficulties.  Local councils have discretion to award Blue Badges to those not automatically eligible.  Ask your local council.
    When you are busting for the loo I would definately say you have walking around difficulties

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Matilda
    Indeed.  I may be wrong but I understand that pip mobility points are only awarded for ability to walk (put one foot in front of the other).  There are the reliability criteria but I don't think having to rush to the loo is covered by these.
  • candycane66
    there not but i have a medical problem i am under the hosp for this 
    i know a few people near me have them an i know for a fact there is nothing wrong with them there milking it in 
    one got a pip car the other makes out there in a wheelchair but can walk all ok an like us who cant get a thing they get them given to them for no reason we have to fight for ours 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,330 Disability Gamechanger
    there not but i have a medical problem i am under the hosp for this 
    i know a few people near me have them an i know for a fact there is nothing wrong with them there milking it in 
    one got a pip car the other makes out there in a wheelchair but can walk all ok an like us who cant get a thing they get them given to them for no reason we have to fight for ours 
    I'm sorry but you have no idea what goes on, on the inside for these people. Do you know exactly what conditions they have and how they are affected by them??? It really annoys me when others say these things.

If you're not automatically entitled to a blue badge then look at the criteria for your local council as they are all different. People have blue badges and they don't have PIP or DLA. Most likely an assessment will be needed before they make a decision.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • stay_positive
    stay_positive Community member Posts: 229 Courageous
    I've been awarded enhanced mobility , I am trying to find out if I an apply for a blue badge . My disabilities are hidden , we don't know what people are going through , I don't think just anyone can get a blue badge .
  • poppy123456
    I've been awarded enhanced mobility , I am trying to find out if I an apply for a blue badge . My disabilities are hidden , we don't know what people are going through , I don't think just anyone can get a blue badge .

It will depend on where exactly you scored the points for mobility. For England If you scored at least 8 points in the "moving around part" then you will automatucally qualify. Scotland/Wales maybe different.

If you scored the 12 points in following and planning a journey then you won't automatically qualify. For following and planning a journey you need to score 10 points for activity 1E.

You can check your LA here. https://www.gov.uk/apply-blue-badge You will need to wait until you receive the decision letter to check if you qualify and you'll also need to send a copy of that with your application, as well as a photo of yourself.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • stay_positive
    stay_positive Community member Posts: 229 Courageous
    I will find out when I receive my award which should be here soon it was posted yesterday , thanks for posing the information Poppy .
  • poppy123456
    You’re welcome.
  • anawilliam850
    anawilliam850 Community member Posts: 29 Connected

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. The process of getting a blue badge and PIP can be difficult, but it's important to keep trying and appealing decisions if necessary.

For the blue badge, you may want to try appealing the decision or providing additional medical evidence to support your case. You can also contact your local council or Citizens Advice Bureau for guidance on the appeals process.

For PIP, you can also appeal the decision and provide additional evidence to support your claim. It may also be helpful to speak with a welfare rights advisor or a disability advocacy group for assistance with your appeal.

In the meantime, you may also want to explore other options for assistance, such as community transport services or mobility aids like walking aids or mobility scooters.

• Matilda
    Anyone in receipt of enhanced mobility is automatically entitled to a Blue Badge.  Contact your local council for an application form.  You will need to send a copy of your award letter with your application.
  • poppy123456
    Matilda said:
    Anyone in receipt of enhanced mobility is automatically entitled to a Blue Badge.
    That's not correct. Those that scored 12 points for following and planning a journey do not automatically qualify for a BB in England. No idea if Wales or Scotland are the same.
  • poppy123456

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. The process of getting a blue badge and PIP can be difficult, but it's important to keep trying and appealing decisions if necessary.

This thread is from 2018 so 5 years old now. Hopefully the OP has got their BB now.

• Matilda
    I am in receipt of enhanced mobility and hold a Blue Badge.  My application to my local council for a Blue Badge was straightforward.
  • poppy123456
    Matilda said:
    I am in receipt of enhanced mobility and hold a Blue Badge.  My application to my local council for a Blue Badge was straightforward.
    Scoring 8 points or more in the moving around part of mobility automatically entitles you to a blue badge. 
    For following and planning a journey Enhanced mobility doesn’t automatically qualify you. See link..
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/help-for-disabled-travellers1/blue-badge-scheme/applying-for-a-blue-badge/

If you get Personal Independence Payments (PIP)

You’re automatically eligible for a Blue Badge if you either:

• scored 8 points or more in the ‘moving around’ area of your PIP assessment
    • scored 10 points in the ‘planning and following journeys’ area of your PIP assessment and were put in category ‘E’ - this means your stress, anxiety or other mental health issue stops you leaving the house

Brightness