A NEW MASSIVE PROBLEM WITH DISABLED PEOPLE LOOSING THEIR CAR... — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

A NEW MASSIVE PROBLEM WITH DISABLED PEOPLE LOOSING THEIR CAR...

Norton2018
Norton2018 Community member Posts: 19 Connected
I am absolutely STUNNED.. As if having YOUR MOTABILITY CAR TAKEN OFF YOU.. Yr benefit amount changed and worse off.... HAVING A MOTABILITY CAR.. YOUOOSE ALL YR NO CLAIMS.  I HAD 25 YEARS PLUS... ALTHOUGH I KNOW THEY ONLY TAKE 9 YRS INTO CONSIDERATION.. SO AFTER TALKING TO MOTABILITY.  THEY HAVE ISSUED ME A LETTER FOR 3 YEARS NO CLAIMS.
I WENT THROUGH THE INSURANCE THEY ADVISED AND ACCEPT THESE LETTERS.. OMG... FOR A 12 YR OLD BASIC SEAT.. 1.4 NO POSH SPORTS ETC... CHEAPEST QUOTE WAS £1,290.10 A YEAR...!!!!!!
THE CAR I WAS LOOKING AT IS ONLY £1,900...I LIVE IN A GOOD AREA... HAVE A LOCKED GARAGE FOR A CAR..  I AM 51 YEARS OLD.. NEVER HAD A POINT IN MY DRIVING YEARS.. NO CRASHES ETC.. I CANNOT BELIEVE IT....SO NOT ONLY HAS PIP CHANGES TOOK CARS OFF DISABLED FOLK LIKE ME... I CANNOT AFFORD TO GET EVEN A CHEAP CAR.... ITS LUDICROUS . 
MP AGAIN TOMORROW THEN THE TABLOIDS... I FEEL LIKE BANGING MY HEAD OFF A BRICK WALL. . GOING ROUND IN CIRCLES.. I CANNOT EAT FOR EXTREME ANXIETY AND DEPRESSION.. THAT'S WITHOUT MY POLANDS SYNDROME BORN WITH AND PERIFORMIS SYNDROME AND OSTEOARTHRITIS I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH LAST AUGUST.. I AM IN CHRONIC PAIN 24/7 WITH TRAMADOL, GABAPENTIN, PARACETAMOLS AND MY ANTIDEPRESSANTS..... I HAVE HAD 20 YRS OF MENTAL HEALTH PROBLEMS AS MAM DIED AFTER MY YOUNGEST WAS BORN.. THEN MY DAD TOOK HIS OWN LIFE 7 YRS AGO... I HAVE BEEN OVERDOING AND SELF HARMING FOR 10 YEARS.. I AM WELL KNOWN TO CRISIS TEAM...LOCAL HOSPITAL DUE TO AMOUNT OF SUICIDAL ATTEMPTS.. AFTER MY MOVE IN NOVEMBER TO A BEAUTIFUL FLAT.. NO STAIRS.. I WAS ACTUALLY GETTING MY LIFE BACK... NOW.. FEEL LIKE THROWING MYSELF OFF THE NEAREST CLIFF... YOU JUST XANT WIN.....  AM DEVASTATED... 

Comments

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    That does sound a little high for a person of your experiance
    Do you intend to use a car much ?
    Sometimes a limited mileage policy can be cheaper

CR
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • duckett123
    duckett123 Community member Posts: 81 Courageous
    if you  have been on mobility for some years they used to give £2000 refund  to help you get back on the road check with them to see if they still do it it wil help you pay
  • ataloss2018
    ataloss2018 Community member Posts: 48 Courageous
    edited April 2018
    Did RSAM say why you were only given 3 years no claims, unless you had a previous claim on the insurance you should have got the full 9 NCB. When wife had her car taken away she got 5 years NCB from the insurer, would have been longer but she'd had a claim 5 years previous. Speak with them again provided you've not had a claim in recent years.
  • Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    edited April 2018
    Edited by moderator
  • Norton2018
    HOW ULTIMATELY DARE YOU.... 
    I AM ANGRY AT THE GOVERNMENTS DECISION.. AND FOR WHAT WE AS DISABLED PEOPLE ARE FACING... I AM STUNNED AT YOUR SICK ALLEGATIONS... YOU NEED THERAPY... 
    I AM PUTTING IN A COMPLAINT AGAINST YOUR NASTY.. VINDICTIVE comments... You obviously have absolutely NO IDEA what is going on for GENUINE DISABLED FOLK.. .. 
    Your deluded.. And need help... I am not just doing this for myself... I stand for all the thousands of folk who are in this.. Nightmare situation...strangely enough I have the backing of my MP... so your sick comments mean nothing... Why are you on this site....??? 

• pep
    pep Community member Posts: 7 Connected
    Hi Norton 2018...you have never said a truer word they are jumping right onto disabled ppl and it is us that are suffering.. If we don't stand up and fight no one else will... Im glad you have the back up from your MP... And I'm hoping you stay safe..when I was reading what you had written it was hard to imagine just what you have been going through... But I really do hope you can sort everything out and do stay safe... Don't let them or anyone else push you over the edge.. Prove to them that you won't let them beat you.... Goodluck Norton 2018... Pep 
  • Norton2018
    edited April 2018

CR
    Apologies its very late but due very upsetting messages from... Quite a few members on here.. UNBELIEVABLE... Obviously they have no idea of the concept and the awful nightmare I go through. Day after day... Yes I have mental health issues.. But I was trying to explain... Obviously THESE UNEDUCATED FOLK.. have NO IDEA what Polands is... Periformis syndrome is...along with osteoarthritis . And depression and anxiety after losing both parents to suicide... I have put a complaint in...to Scope... Everyone has an opinion on lots of things.. Me.. I get annoyed at folk eating themselves to a point that xarers have to be put in... They have NO OTHER ISSUES. . NO mental health issues . Disabilities etc.. Yet the government are willing to pay for a mobility car as they are do . Obese they cannot travel via public transport... They loose 3/4lbs in a week.. Then.. Order a takeaway.. Enough to feed a family of 5/6....
    Am sorry but I was born disabled and I fight my corner every time.... I am a fantastic mother of two boys.. 28 and 21...i put my life on hold after a divorce..for 8/9 years
    To make sure my boys were brought up with.  Respect... Dignity.. Strong morals and standards.. Yet I get slagged off on this forum for been... To hyper... To.. High.. Maybe thats because I suffer from Bipolar... Not a thing I'd wish on my worst enemy. . Yet folk on here have really been unkind.. And disrespectful... There's not many disabled one parent families who have achieved what I have...
    Get your readers to Google POLANDS SYNDROME... PERIFORMIS SYMDROME.  OSTEOARTHRITIS... I am a fab Mam... Not easy with only one hand and severe left sided weakness.. Missing ribs and born with no pectoral muscle.. No left breast...devastated as only diagnosed 8 yrs ago... 
    Had 8 yrs of reconstruction surgery... Which was so painful.. I give up after 4 sessions.
    I will attach pics of just one of my operations for to get me a.. Pectoral muscle... I also had severe hand surgery on my.. Claw hand at 2/3 yrs old... Then again at 5 yrs days... 
    I apologise going on but... I know there are folk worse off.. But with loosing my dad to suicide 7 yrs ago.. My mam 20 yrs ago... 
    These sick responds and comments.. Are so u believable as they only know 5% of my story. 

I am a fab driver.. 25 yrs plus no claims.. No points... Nothing... 
    I am a good driver.. Careful and always have been... Says it all I think.. 25 yrs no claims... No. Points not even a ticket.... So Mr. ******** on here trying to bring me down... No chance... I am a fab. Careful driver.... End of.. 
    I am taking these comlaints... And their awful opinions to Yr head office... Also to. My MP... 

I seriously think you need to monitor what is said in these comments... Since I read the horrendous one.. I've not eaten... Felt sick... My son is absolutely furious wants to take this to the tabloids . Which I am doing after my volunteer work finishes at 1pm....

I seriously think more should complain... 

• Norton2018

CR
    I drive 1/2 hours a day maximum.... My car I received fro. Motability 3 yrs ago has only 6,410 mile.. And its IMMACULATE.... 
  • pep
    pep Community member Posts: 7 Connected
    Hope it all goes good for you Norton 2018  bedtime for me u take care x
  • jaycee6
    jaycee6 Community member Posts: 52 Courageous
    Hi Norton 2018..I agree with you the wrong people seem to get it,,Keep fighting .But in the meantime question why you only have 3 years no claims that doesn't seem right.   Also if you buy a private car then go on line on compare sites Im sure your insurance will come up cheaper .As what they charge seems high to me, wising you all the best
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    @Norton2018 the more people I read about on here losing dla despite qualifying for it, and losing car its absolutely shocking! I dont see why the government couldnt do it like with other major benefit changes and made it a time thing where all new claims would be the new benefit eg Pip, and all existing claim are honoured. Its absolutely disgusting the way disabled folks are being treated and thats what sites like scope are trying to help folks with. If you look at what the sites about you will see that. I can totally see what your point is and reading back im quite shocked at the responses as they come across as critical some of them rather than helpful. But, you were obviously highly emotional when you posted and quite rightly so. But my first thought was is this person a risk to themselves and others going by your cliff comment. But I think thats something lots of people would say in the heat of the moment or when things seem so bad. I really really hope that you go get some advice about dealing with your car situation as well as your stress levels as we all need to find ways to vent our frustrations. I honestly dont know what action folks can take to get a better deal for disabled folk with the current government but sites like this are essential for support and advice and education. Good luck

• Tigermoth42
    Tigermoth42 Community member Posts: 243 Pioneering
    Hi @Norton2018 so so sorry to read about your daily struggles my lovely, remember, you’re an amazing person and you’ve done a fab job with your children. I totally get your anger and upset, some of those comments were best left unsaid in my humble opinion, the trouble is people write stuff without actually thinking what it might mean to the person reading it. Also, the written word can come across far harsher than it would if spoken face to face. Please don’t let comments get to you, I know that’s easier said than done, had one recently which was unnecessary and made me very upset at a time when I, like you, need all the support I can get. There are some lovely people on here and some excellent support. Sending hugs, Gail 
  • ataloss2018
    ataloss2018 Community member Posts: 48 Courageous
    @Norton2018 , just chase RSAM up and ask them why you've only been given a 3 years NCB to pass on to your new insurance provider, if you've not had any claims on your mobility insurance then there's no reason why you shouldn't have been given the full 9 years NCB. 

Really think there's been a mistake in issuing you with just 3 years NCB, take on board what I've said and ring them sometime today, ask to speak with a supervisor or manager if you have no joy with the call handler.  Good luck.
  • GeoffBosworth195661
    GeoffBosworth195661 Community member Posts: 161 Pioneering
    edited April 2018
    Hello welcome@Norton2018 I would like to get this soughed out please read first. 
    After reading from the experience of who said what above we have a situation of frustration on the topic. Let me just make this clear cars are a vital part in genuine situations and rely desperate getting from A to B hospital appointments other medical organisations. We may see people people getting in a car but it is easy judge the silent illness that people do not see. We have enough cut backs that if the targets are not met then one above have failed but dont realise the consequences of the vital needs and important is your health and your well being. This is a area that needs high lighting it also depends on the filling in of your applications this needs checking out and ask the question why ? Your health no matter how the condition may be if you can not walk or walk far with pain. then you have a right to ask the question, for it to be reviewed again to put you on the right track SCOPE Try not let things stress you out I know it is easy said than done but Scope are here to help with situations take care. 
    http://https//community.scope.org.uk/categories/talk-about-pip-dla 

• [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger

We want the community to be a safe and supportive place. Please make sure your messages respect other users’ views and suggestions, even if you don’t agree with them.

Take care to present your views tactfully and remember that the written word without tone and context may be misinterpreted. 

@Norton2018 I am sorry that this post has been upsetting to you, if you would like to discuss this further, then please email us on community@scope.org.uk

I am going to close this discussion now, if anyone would like to talk to us about it, please feel free to get in touch.

Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger

If you are having thoughts of suicide, it is important that you discuss them with someone who is qualified to help. Please call the Samaritans on 116 123 (free) or email them at jo@samaritans.org

You might also benefit from reading MIND’s information on how you can help yourself:

http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/suicidal-feelings/how-can-i-help-myself/

If you feel that you may be an immediate danger to yourself, please call 999 or go to your local hospital right away.

Scope
    Senior online community officer
This discussion has been closed.

Brightness