What to do if you lose your motability car — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What to do if you lose your motability car

CockneyRebel
CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
With so many people losing their enhanced mobility award and therefore their car and independance, What practical advice can you give to and what things need to be considered by someone thinking of buying a car ?

To many of us our independance is so important and the sudden lose of our car can seem like a disastar. In this situation it can be tempting to jump in feet first without looking at the many options and pitfalls of car ownership.

For example

New or second hand
Cash or lease/HP
Dealer or private
Posh or reliable banger

Automatic or manual
Do you need adaptations

What about
Insurance
Servicing and repair
MOT tests
Breakdown cover

If you have any thoughts please feel free to share

CR
Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste

Comments

• susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    I don’t have a mobility car but personally I would save the mobility award money and buy my own car.
    that way should they decide later down the line they are taking it back there’s no stress.

jusr a thought 
  • CockneyRebel
    I have always had my own cars, never motability but recently one member who had lost their car was shocked at the cost of insurance, which got me thinking about this.
    What sort of things do people need to know for an informed decision, If you have never had to buy your own car how do you know where to start and what questions to ask ?

CR
  • charlene
    charlene Community member Posts: 555 Pioneering
    I always had my own car until 4 years ago and had a mobility one.  Now because of all I am going through I am thinking of buying my own and if I get mobility save that towards another car.  Haven't looked into insurance yet, but yes that scare me.
    When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
  • CockneyRebel
    Things to consider

I am sure this list is not complete so any suggestions are welcome but some of the thoughts I have

How important is having a car ?
    How much mileage do you do each year ?
    Can you afford to buy a car or get finance/ lease one ?
    Do you need a new stylish model or would a reliable old banger be acceptable ?
    Do you buy private or from a dealer ?

When you own a car there are running costs

Top of the list is insurance and this can determine to drive or not  to drive
    The make and model can affect road fund licence if applicable
    The age of a vehicle can mean the need for an MOT
    Maintainance and servicing need to be carried out
    A wise investment is breakdown cover, what type and with who ?

RMS Motability should give you a letter for your insurance no claims bonus if applicable

Determine your budget if you decide to buy
    The make and model is an important choice, depending on your needs.
    What you would like may not achievable so be prepared to compromise.

Do you need an automatic vehicle ?

The first and most important thing is to determine insurance cost.
    It is no use buying a nice car and not being able to insure it

Use the comparison sites to search for Insurance costs of various options.
    This is important as it will determine what you can afford
    If your annual mileage is low then this can play a big part in your premium
    For most mature drivers, full comp insurance is usually the cheapest option
    When it is time to renew your policy , always do a new comparison check for the best rate

A good place to see many different vehicle options is e-bay

Take your time and research before you buy

If you are buying an older car, it will need an annual MOT.
    Look for one with a long MOT. But be aware that this is not a guarantee of road worthiness
    Take someone with you that has some mechanical knowledge if possible.
    Look for low mileage. The average annual mileage is 15000 per year. Again this is no guarantee of condition.

Do you have a local, independant mechanic ?
    If you can find a good independant this will save you money on servicing and repairs, treat them well.

Breakdown cover is not all the same.
    There are a number of companies that offer various levels of cover.
    Decide what is important to you
    Do you need home start ?
    Road side repair ?
    Relay cover to get you home ?

Many companies only cover cars to a certain age
    There is one company that covers the driver not the car. So if you subscribe to this one you are covered in any car you are traveling even if it is not yours.
    Annual renewal is often more expensive than taking out a new cover policy.

CR
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    I actually do not own a car anymore, I sold it when I was given medical retirement from my last job.

i do however have to use of a friends car when I need it. 
    Or get a lift from someone.

I cant use public transport so I usually walk everywhere, not that I go far.

i suppose it’s like a person who’s not on mobility, they need to research insurance, Road tax and the cost of the vehicle before buying it.

and I’d also think about long term, could I afford this if my income was reduced!

• charlene
    I have just phoned RSA Motobility to find out what no claims I have with them and they are going to send me an email.  Can't really do much more at present as I need a make of car, erg no etc. To find out the cost of insurance.  Cockney Rebel can I ask how much your friend was quoted?
  • duckett123
    duckett123 Community member Posts: 81 Courageous
    I had a car on motabillty for 15yrs when I had to return it my insurance now is £600 including breakdown cover, look for insurers that take on ex motabillty and you can get discount for your years driving.
  • charlene
    Hi duckettt is that fully comprehensive?

• CockneyRebel
    Hi charlene

The member that posted I think was 51 years old, and quoted about £1100 insurance for a 1.4 ltr fiat

To get an Idea of insurance have a look on Ebay at cars that interest you, then just enter the details into one or more of the comparison sites

To give you an idea
    On a personal note, my take on motoring, not wishing to rub anyones nose in it

I have never paid more than £500 for a car, If I need to change it after a year it is not a disaster.
    My current jalopy I paid £410 for. It is an automatic estate car, reg 2006
    It went through its first year MOT with no advisories
    Full comp insurance with 9 years no claims bonus £350
    My previous car I still have. A 2000 convertable automatic, on limited mileage insurance @£150 pa
    Has passed last 4 MOT's with no advisories 

My wife has her own car, a 2000 automatic, 39000 miles on the clock, bought for £460 with full MOT. Ful comp insurance £190 limited mileage 5000 per annum

• duckett123
    duckett123 Community member Posts: 81 Courageous
    yes it is also you may need a covering letter to state how long you had been with motability plus check you can also claim £2000 towards you car from motabillity but check with them first to see if they still do offer.
  • charlene
    I can't believe what I have neen quoted, £1,300.87p  Honda Jazz 2011, 1339cc
  • CockneyRebel
    This is why I started the thread, to stay mobile you may have to look at other options.

If you want to you can PM me your details( not address just area ) and your requirements and Let me look at it

CR
  • wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Having owned my own car and bought only one new car in my life have had exdemo, low mileage or the most recents ones have been low mileage ex disability cars. As for insurance being diagnosed with MS I thought my insurance would have gone up as I had to inform DVLA and surrender my full any  motor type as I worked on the land so drove all and everything to apply for a standard photo type for a car light van. But after having my renewal for £285 I reinsured for £220 fully comp with with my two eldest daughters included took out full cover with green flag £75 and now excempt of road tax doing about 5000 mile a year. As my car is 11 yrs old done 66000 miles in good order a new set of tyres fitted last autumn before I was awarded higher rate mobility the only exspence I have is annual mot, insurance and bi annual service. Fuel you have to pay for if you have mobility car but you have to way up do your sums for me having a new car sat outside doing nothing and keeping my own car is about £1800 better off.
  • charlene
    Hello CR, not sure how to PM you?
  • CockneyRebel
    Under your name top right, second icon is in box
    then click new message

CR
  • charlene
    CR, I just about clicked on everything, but never looked there:)

Wilko, that is such a good price, not sure why I am being hit so hard.  Do you have many  years no claims, as I did graze a Mercs in 2016.  My car never had to go in and I received the £250.00 for the car being in good condition when I returned it November. . The Mercs was an old one and the driver only purchased it recently, only a few scratches but he wanted it seen to.

• SugarCoated
    SugarCoated Community member Posts: 53 Courageous
    not sure if this will help anyone but the area or city/town you live in also reflect your overall insurance premium, some places have a higher insurance premium. bad drivers more claims in certain areas will affect everyone, also things like where car is parked. garage vs on the road. you could be a safe driver no accidents yet all these can affect you. 
  • charlene
    Just been looking at car tax.  Only had my mobility car 4 years and it looks as the system I knew has changed. 
    If I keep to 1400 and below , how much would car tax be?
  • CockneyRebel
    It is not that straight forward

For cars registered before 1 March 2001 the rate of vehicle tax depends on its engine size.

The rate for cars registered on or after 1 March 2001 depends on CO2 emissions and fuel type. They’ll be taxed using the old system if this information isn’t available.

https://www.gov.uk/calculate-vehicle-tax-rates

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Brightness