3 year old not talking and doing hand movements? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

3 year old not talking and doing hand movements?

Lost
Lost Community member Posts: 50 Courageous
edited October 2021 in Sensory impairments
Hi just would like to know if anyone knows what thus means my 3 year old is not speaking is blabing most of the time znf sayjng daddadada and things like that.

Today i noticed what looks lkle his doing almost like hand washing motion with both hands like his making ball dies that action for about 3 secs and then his tapping 2 times his left hand on top of his wrist part of his right hand.

Does anyone know if this is some sort of sign language if so what does it mean ?

Any help would be appreciated 

Thank you.

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Lost, hopefully @NicolaLatheySLT will be in touch and able to offer some guidance soon!
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi Lost

When did your child last see the Health Visitor?

• Lost
    About half a year a go 
  • NicolaLatheySLT
    NicolaLatheySLT Community member Posts: 40 Courageous
    Hello,
    The tapping the wrist is probably the 'more' sign.  Tapping the curled up part of a clenched fist is the 'more' sign and is a very common first sign.  The first sign your describe is harder to recognise.  A sign similar to what you describe is 'play dough'.  Sorry I can't be more helpful but good luck.  Nicola x

Nicola Lathey
    Speech And Language Advisor
    Phone: 01242 571883
    Email: nicola@theowltherapycentre.co.uk
    theowltherapycentre.co.uk
  • ritchieashleigh
    ritchieashleigh Community member Posts: 21 Listener
    Hi Soundtherapy is good for speech and movement i you’d to be a Sound therapist xx if you need to chat you know where I am xx
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Has your child seen the Mr Tumble show? Could they have picked things up from him?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • hello123
    hello123 Community member Posts: 1 Connected
    Hi, my grandson speech was slow at 3yrs, some sentences we could just make out and others not at all, we rang the health visitor and after her visit, my grandson was given an appointment for speech therapy, he is now 6 and can talk and hold a conversation with the rest of us. Please ring your health visitor shes there to help and will put your mind at ease. 
  • Lost
    Thanks all for support his school has arranged so each therapist to come and absorve him. He use to watch MR Tumble @Sam_Scope it last time he seen him was about 1 year s go. 

He understands everything well. If I say take your shues off he will take them off if I say grab your jacket he will grab it if I'm changing his brothers nappy and say grab me happy wipes he brings them over he can hear just fine when I ask him thigh he might not even be looking at me he will be watching tv and I will say can I have nappy wipes please he will run over and get it for me. Lately his doing loads of Dadada dadede and things like that but no words I could say his saying it because he wants something. His 2year old brother does tons if talking 9 out of 10 words we know what he wants. But my 3 year old will grab my hand take me to place he wants something for me to get it for him. Or he will bring you over for example he has toy which has door on it I will close it he will open it and then gives me you and takes my other hand and puts it on the door which means he wants to me close it again for him. 

He is very clever and does things other kids 2 times if his age will not do. He just not talking and I'm confused why that is.

Brightness