Bedroom tax. — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Bedroom tax.

libbymin
libbymin Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hello everyone,

im sure this has been discussed before but I have only just joined. 

I have a rented two bed house. I have been paying £14 a week bedroom tax even though I suffer very badly with my mental health resulting in needing friends/family to stay with me on a regular basis. 

The local cal authority have told me that unless I need a full time carer living with me all the time then I am not entitled to the second room. 

Is this correct? They are now telling me that the only thing I can do is move into a one bedroom place. This, as you can imagine is causing me a lot of stress and will cost me a lot of money. 

Help! 

Libby

Comments

• whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    What benefits are you on? My guess is UC?
    Do you receive pip standard rate care. I think that permits a carer to stay over. 
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • libbymin
    libbymin Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I’m on PIP at higher rate care. The local authority tell me that I should use it to pay the bedroom tax. 
  • sandyp196
    sandyp196 Community member Posts: 142 Pioneering
    I recieve pip higher rate and this entities me to a 2 bedroom property eveb though i am the sole tenant. I have to prove the extra bedroom is being used. I'm having to do that now. Bt I don't pay bedroom tax and I was allocated my present 2 bedroom flat based solely on the fact I qualified for pip higher rate. I live in Wales. I'm not sure if rules are different here. 

Brightness