Housing Enforcers- anyone watch it this morning? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Housing Enforcers- anyone watch it this morning?

whistles
whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
Did any else wonder how on earth that elderly couple in the bungalow have been left to live like that?
The elderly man hadn't been outside for 13 YEARS because they didn't have a ramp!!!
He hasn't been outside the room his bed was in for 5 YEARS. Matt Allright said it's worse than prison. 

How has this happened? He has a commode looking thing next to the bed with rails on, so surely there must be some sort of social services, physio, outside help that's come in over that time and done nothing- other word would get me a warning!!! 

How long does it take to get a wheelchair/ scooter ramp put in?  Please don't say five years, becayse that's disgraceful.

http://www.tvguide.co.uk/m-detail/2972634/137848315/the-housing-enforcers

Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.

Comments

• susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    I didn’t see it @whistles but the elderly man downstairs from me had a leg amputated and had a ramp put in before leaving hospital.

• whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    It's a rented property and initially it was to investigate that the garden was all over grown etc. So guessing the council might have to agree to put one outside.

I do know of people though who need a ramp but don't want one. So they are pretty much housebound. Maybe it's pride and not wanting to be seen in a wheelchair. But if it means I can go out, does it matter! 
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    @whistles
    i feel pride has a lot to do with it. The gentleman I mentioned really needs 24/7 care, now a double amputee, but refuses to leave his home. 
  • feir
    feir Community member Posts: 397 Pioneering
    i didn't see it either but you can just get used to be neglected as well and so put up with it and stop caring any more.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    That programme was on last year. If I remember correctly Social Services had been involved some time previous but nothing was ever followed up by them.

Social Services in my opinion are not worth the time of day. Both my wife and I had assessments carried out instigated by our GP. They came talked to us and offered us various bits of kit. All of the equipment turned up which I had to install - that was 5 years ago.
    They have never followed up either of the referrals so presume that they assume we are both OK.

The worst situation was when I was in hospital. Having spent months there in bed being fed through a tube my wife was told that she would get help caring for me for at least the first 6 weeks at home.
    I was discharged only to find that my wife had seen no one about the help she needed. My good lady struggled for weeks trying to get me on my feet instead of bum shuffles and trying everything to start getting me to eat.

Never had any sign of the promised help - that was in 2004. 

When I mentioned this when they eventually turned up in 2013 I asked what had happened for the previous 9 years. She couldn't answer and as I say we never heard anything more to this day.

So yes I can fully understand what the happened to that couple on the TV - it seems common practice from my experience.

Brightness