Ongoing learning — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Ongoing learning

debbiedo49
debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
edited April 2018 in Education
I think it’s really important to try to make the best of and brain cells I’ve still got working to use them to learn something that interests me. 
For me with my health issues, I’ve had to bad creative in finding stuff that I can do online or in “safe” environments to keep me feeling in control of my anxiety and for me to enjoy the experience. 
One of the ways I can do that is via distance learning online which many colleges do now. You can pick as little or as much as you want to do. You can apply for finding for it too. Another way I can do that is through my local adult learning team who facilitate small classes locally on subjects of interest to the community. 
What I like to be able to do is things at my pace and that’s how I enjoy ongoing learning. I know it has to be the right thing at the right time for some of us and I just wanted to raise the topic and see what others think.

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    This sounds great @debbiedo49
    I am currently doing an online course in sign language and really enjoying it!

What courses are you doing?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • debbiedo49
    I am currently doing child care 
  • laurahc__
    laurahc__ Community member Posts: 34 Courageous
    I'm currently doing a child psychology online course and have just submitted my first assignment. The flexibility is brilliant, I don't need to worry from one day to the next if I'm going to be well enough to study. I had to leave "real" college a few weeks into my course due to low attendance (I missed two classes). It was leave or get kicked out...the support was non-existent, despite me making them aware about on-going health issues  :/
    confessionsofazebra.blog 
  • debbiedo49
    I would love to do that type of course. Right now I’m just doing short modules or courses as I get anxious about committing to longer ones. Yes I too tried a class way back but it was too soon for me and I was overwhelmed. Now I know to do things at my pace. It’s good.
  • Jazzguitar
    Jazzguitar Community member Posts: 180 Courageous
    Are there any online courses in Music? I play Rock and Jazz Guitar. Nebille Pearson
  • debbiedo49
    You could Google it, also dont put your name up here
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    Check out Coursera, if you haven't already.
  • Geniedebs
    Geniedebs Community member Posts: 63 Courageous
    I have done quite a few Future learn courses. They are online, free, unless you wish to purchase a certificate, and there are different subjects. I am due to begin another one soon.

Brightness