When you have time for hobbies, what do you do? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

When you have time for hobbies, what do you do?

fishingmum
fishingmum Community member Posts: 562 Pioneering
edited April 2018 in Coffee lounge
I find a good way of coping in my situation is finding time for hobbies and interests I can do that I enjoy, it relieves stress, gives me a time out and much needed breath.

My youngest is autistic and can not cope around people at all. I find my hobby of fishing very helpful as he can join in, it is quiet and relaxing and gets us out of the house. However when I do get time for my own hobbies and interests that I get time out with, mostly I enjoy arts and crafts. I knit, I make candles and soaps, I make candle holders and recently started making garden planters. Most recent was a canon shaped strawberry planter. Which I have pointed to a neighbours house that happens to be rude and often shows signs of idiocy and foot in mouth action.

What do you guys do to relieve stress and tension, and little things that can give you a smile on a daily basis. I am just away to look at my canon planter :)
life is too short to let others make you miserable.

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @fishingmum

I enjoy crochet, reading, cinema and gardening, I think it's so important to make time for hobbies.

We have a group where members can share their art and craft work if you are interested? It's the Kaleidoscope post here. We'd love to see some of your work!
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • fishingmum
    excellent as a new person here I am just finding my way about.I will have a look on there, its great the ideas you get from others. I grow my own veg but that is more of a need than a hobby lol. thsnks for that @Sam_Scope
  • Sam_Alumni
    I have an allotment and so love growing veg!!
    Scope
  • fishingmum
    mine is all in my garden, so its is in tubs and planters as the ground is not great but I have learned to grow up the way in some things like potatoes and boxes for carrots parsnips spinach etc but we are really lucky as we get free fish and free eggs as well, every bit helps :)
  • flynn18
    flynn18 Community member Posts: 12 Listener
    I love to crochet but just a beginner love cinema visiting gardens love flowers really cheer me up xx
  • fishingmum
    my nearest cinema is 4 and 1/2 hours away and a ferry journey so it never happens for us, but recently got some crochet hooks and watching youtube videos as I fancied trying something new
  • Sam_Alumni
    @thespiceman has been sharing his adventures into planting herbs and veg in his garden, you might like to have a read.

Where do you live? 4 1/2 hours from a cinema??!  :open_mouth: It sounds pretty remote!!
    Scope
  • fishingmum
    west coast of Scotland and yes we are remote but our nearest town no longer has a cinema. I plant my own herbs as well and me and the family go out and collect wild herbs and fruits, we are pretty country lol
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
  • fishingmum
    @debbiedo49 do you put anything on sites for writing such as poetry sites? or short story sites?
  • Sam_Alumni
    west coast of Scotland and yes we are remote but our nearest town no longer has a cinema. I plant my own herbs as well and me and the family go out and collect wild herbs and fruits, we are pretty country lol
    Sounds amazing!! 
    Scope
  • debbiedo49
    I’m Scottish too!
  • fishingmum
    edited April 2018
    Mothers day Zombie, other folks get chocolates and flowers and I get my own zombie lol.
  • debbiedo49
    @fishingmum yes I have articles poems on Scottish recovery network and other sites just a few. Volunteer on a newsletter which started me off writing again. Just when inspiration takes me. 
  • fishingmum
    this picture was taken at my back door on mothers day, the kids made me a zombie so I could use it for bow and arrow training lol it is a nice view I have and it is quiet here.
  • fishingmum
    @debbiedo49 that is fantastic I used to write about essential oils for a local newspaper and cancer research magazines but it has been years since I have done that, too much to do and not much time anymore for it. You keep writing it sounds great what you are doing.
  • debbiedo49
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @fishingmum Pleased to meet you Sam mentioned me basically like your good self make my own food usually with herbs and spices.

The is why call me @thespiceman My pleasure is adapting and creating recipes using what I have.  Always have loads of ideas for recipes. Cheap eats.

So time for hobbies think is a good question. Especially things like herbs because they are low maintenance. If you forget to water then it does not matter for a few days.  As long you have the time to do that.  Be out in the garden and water one or two days or in the fresh air helps.

Where you live sounds remote.  Understand have to be creative and use what you have to recycle or make things with.

Would your son be interested in growing herbs. Being disabled myself and have  mental health issues.

Just a suggestion. Lot of it is simple planting and watering. Taking care. Focused on trying to look after plants. Once I have got an interest. Helps me.

For relaxation is the garden or my music. Northern Soul and Motown. Also this forum as support and helps be not to be lonely.

Great picture looks idyllic now but when Winter comes. Understand that part of the Scotland remote. Have to be self sufficient.

Take care great to meet you

Anytime for a chat if you wish to.

The Spiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • fishingmum
    @thespiceman we do grow herbs and spices anyway, as well as veg and my youngest helps out, he enjoys pulling the plants up when ready and my older 2 every morning tend to steal chives and lettuce leves when they are walking down the path heading to school :)

When winter hits here we can have power cuts for days no access as roads are blocked, it can look very depressing out the windows some days, but amazingly fish like to eat then so still find food.

Brightness