Are Private phone numbers out dated? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Are Private phone numbers out dated?

whistles
whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
I just had a private number call me. Pointless because I do not answer these- unless expected. If important they will ring back, again pointless!

If the company/ organisation really wants to talk to you they should let you know who they are in my opinion. I will be expecting them to call so will answer.

I was previously expecting a gp call back, so that private number was answered. 
But, why can't they just have an outdoing only system with a number that you can see easily is a local town code. 

Annoyingly pip rang me two days before my assessment to remind me. But it was an area code for my relatives, on missing it I feared something had happened!
The text service system had gone down that I'd asked for. 
Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.

Comments

• Geoark
    Geoark Community member Posts: 1,463 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @whistles at work we use business skype, we don't have any landlines. These give the number out. We also have work mobiles but it is not always desirable to let the number be seen. 

Unfortunately it is not always possible to get local town numbers, the 03 numbers were introduced in 2007 and are not area spefic, even our landline is an 03 number. 

As you have pointed out yourself for larger organisations the fact that they do display a local area code does not always tell you who they are before answering.

What really annoys me is getting several calls from a  number and they cannot even be bothered to leave a voice mail. I tend to ignore these if I don't know the number, if it is important they will leave a message or write to me.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • fishingmum
    fishingmum Community member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    @whistles have you registered with the telephone preference service? They stop your number being handed out to companies for telemarketing purposes, it can take a couple of weeks for it to happen, but I no longer get these unsolicited calls from with held numbers, or business cold calling.
    You could also ask your phone company to bar with held number calls, meaning they have to dial 1470 before your number to call your house, so it tends to put a lot of companies off as A/ no one seems to use this service any more and are unaware of which number to use and B/ they don't want to call these numbers and leave their number.
    life is too short to let others make you miserable.
  • whistles
    Victoriad said:
    I don’t understand what is meant by a private number...do you mean ex directory?

The number shows up on my screen as private.
    So as in this in this case I missed the call, I didn't know who it was from to even attempt to return that call. 
  • whistles
    @whistles have you registered with the telephone preference service? They stop your number being handed out to companies for telemarketing purposes, it can take a couple of weeks for it to happen, but I no longer get these unsolicited calls from with held numbers, or business cold calling.
    You could also ask your phone company to bar with held number calls, meaning they have to dial 1470 before your number to call your house, so it tends to put a lot of companies off as A/ no one seems to use this service any more and are unaware of which number to use and B/ they don't want to call these numbers and leave their number.
    In this instance it was the surgery again. So I wouldn't want to bar anyone from calling, it's just annoying that I didnt know who it was. They text in the end. But I could have called back had I known.

There is just the one number that cold calls and I might look into getting to block, never answered it!

• [Deleted User]
  • fishingmum
    @Victoriad I do something similar I start giving them all window sizes and say yes when can you do it, then state have you told the council first as it is their house. The ones for accidents, I say to them oh yes I would love to put in a claim for money and they ask me to tell them about the accident and I say I have not had one I thought you were going to give me money lol.other times I just sit the phone down and start talking to the dogs they hang up quickly lol
  • [Deleted User]
  • whistles
    I don't drive so I could have fun with the accident one. 
    It just grates me about the private number if it's from important people I would want to talk to. 
    Not cold callers. 

• fishingmum
    @whistles my husband now gets them on his mobile during work and it drives him crazy and due to his job and frequent destroying of phones he is not allowed anything more than a brick phone which none of them seem to have the block option so if it is not a number he knows he declines it right away.

On the odd occasion he has not noticed and answered he goes and stands by the machinery and shouts at them I can't hear you. Sorry what was that I can't hear you then proceeds to shout at a colleague I think I might need new hearing aids. Or he sits the phone down beside the crusher and allows the noise to annoy them till they hang up. The best one he done was in the house when he started whispering " are you the voice inside my head, I wont do it again, I wont do it again I am not killing my neighbours goat" I could not stop laughing for ages but that number never phoned back. Find one that works depending on your mood, these calls can actually make your day if you play it right.
  • [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
  • fishingmum
    now you are giving me false hope lol, considering these people do not even know your name when they phone what can they say, besides they would be met with a carboard zombie with arrows in it at the back door, me and my pirate costume and an autistic kid who likes to tell people the should be moved to a planet where only herbivores lived who ate all the plants and now deprived of oxygen so they can suffocate, I reckon we would all get a nice holiday lol
  • [Deleted User]
  • fishingmum
    and I don't have to do dishes omg perfect lol come on cold callers where are you now I am planning a holiday :p
  • whistles
    Victoriad said:
    Och @whistles
    Lighten your busy day with the car accident ones ....especially if you don’t drive.........wicked ;)

I prefer the voice in my head one.
  • whistles
    now you are giving me false hope lol, considering these people do not even know your name when they phone what can they say, besides they would be met with a carboard zombie with arrows in it at the back door, me and my pirate costume and an autistic kid who likes to tell people the should be moved to a planet where only herbivores lived who ate all the plants and now deprived of oxygen so they can suffocate, I reckon we would all get a nice holiday lol
    If they don't know who I am, how will I know.  :smile:
    Is that so and so, dunno shall I ask myself. 
  • fishingmum
    I must admit I do not know how he can do it with a straight face and I am crying with laughter at him doing this, still nothing and he keeps going, it is amazing how many companies start taking you off the list. I am worse with people who come to the door. I am not religious, nor do I need all these private insurances, I do not want to sponsor someone in poland for a bake sale and any other reason someone might find to come to my door, unless family or friends, that is why I have the pirate costume and am a registered pastafarian, I also keep a bottle of rum on stand by for religious knockers, and automatically do my try and convert them by offering rum lol its just about the only kicks I get living out here haha
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @whistles Hope I can help. Have asked Broadband provider to put a shield on my phone.

I am partially deaf and rarely use mobile. Just for texts only.

If it comes through landline. I know the number, expecting that call. Press a number on my phone or a key. The voice on answering tells you this by the way. If you want to answer accept press a certain number or key.

Call comes through.

Not wanted do not accept.

Private numbers on mobile do not answer. If expecting certain people to ring. Have DWP and other associations or organisations on phone book of mobile.

Always stress as well ring landline or contact Email, mobile do not . Absolute emergency only. Have to use plugs and leads to imply sound.
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • whistles
    Dwp assessment reminder was an actual number, so could answer that. 
    It's the private that grate my cheese. Seems pointless. 
    Like clothes with no price. You want me to buy it, right.

Brightness