Discrimination at the post office — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Discrimination at the post office

trevord
trevord Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I recently experienced discrimination at a main post office. I am on 2 crutches and suffer from a spinal cord injury, and have motor and sensory impairment in my hands. I wanted to arrange a mail redirection services and requested a chair, in order to discuss my requirements, which was placed in an unsuitable location, and couldnt be moved, and help filling in a form (in the smallest of fonts,) for which I was happy to sign, They refused to help, telling me to get someone else to do it. I can't see what the problem was, it would have taken the cashier 2 minutes to do it. 
Am I wrong thinking that this is a form of discrimination?

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @trevord and welcome to the community.
    It certainly sounds as if you've been dealt with very unkindly, insensitively and stupidly, but I can't assert anything beyond that because it is outside my knowledge. I have no doubt, however, that other members will have strong feelings about this and will respond to your post when it filters through to them. Bear with us in the meantime, and don't hesitate to be in touch if you have any questions or anything more you wish to tell us that might help us find ways of helping you.
    Warmest best wishes,
    Richard
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @trevord
    Welcome to the community and Im sorry to hear you have had this experience. There is lots of information here about disability discrimination that you might like to read.

Would you want to get in touch with the post office to explain what has happened and give them a chance to put it right? Perhaps the manager at the post office needs to be made aware of this sort of behaviour?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • jdtayloruk
    jdtayloruk Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    One problem, there aren’t many real chairs at the newly designed branches. This needs a look into, as they should have more and it would help if they did. Why it’s so hard sometimes to find a chair isn’t good for someone like yourself. If you are a regular customer at this branch, ask if they can get a foldable chair in this could be stored and bought out when needed.

Brightness