FEEL GOOD MUSIC FOR MENTAL HEALTH — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

FEEL GOOD MUSIC FOR MENTAL HEALTH

thespiceman
thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
Hello every body as I sit here on the forum.  Thinking it is sunny outside.  Yet we have music for a sunny day.  What about music to keep your mojo upbeat and feel good.

All of us have tunes and music to play. Got to do that job or that task needs doing. It is a chore. Put some music on. To help me through that situation.

Understand I have Classic FM most of the day. With intervals of my Motown and Northern Soul.

Favourites at the present time well really some days changes.

Northern Soul  

I Get The Sweetest Feeling and Your Love Lifts Me Higher Jackie Wilson play them all the time.

Out on The Floor and The In Crowd by Dobie Gray for instant upbeat lift and start swaying and moving.  Also others There's A Ghost In My House by R Dean Taylor. Well there is my memories.

One time cleaning with my marigolds and wipes with the blinds and windows open to the open mouthed stares of the neighbours.

Aint Nothing Like A House Party good sweeping song .  When that is on, me in a dance floor with my flowery shirts doing my funky stuff.  Lights are a blaze.  Shining on me.

Motown

Get Ready by The Temptations  25 Miles by Edwin Starr all on repeated constantly.  Great these songs for ironing . Favourite compilations of Motown and Northern Soul.  Most little jobs.

Makes the day goes better with a feel good songs.

Am I low of course, get depressed and anxious. Yet the pain goes away with these songs

What do you all do?  You need a lift what do you play?
Community Champion
SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
Recipes

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    I love 90s indie, but Im also a big fan of musicals, especially Les Miserables and Hamilton and having that booming our and singing along makes me happy!
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • thespiceman
    Hello @Sam_Scope Great like Musicals have forgotten about them.  Got a few songs on compilations.

Thank you for reminding me

Got There's No Business Like Show Business by Ethel Merman blast that out.    Its from Annie gets Her Gun.  You are too young remember her. I am sort of recall she was a old trooper. From the hey day of musicals the forties and fifties.

Once sang a song on stage stopped the show to remove a heckler. Ejected him and carried on singing.  Those were the stars of those days.

Same with Judy Garland and loads of those film stars who did musicals.  MGM Musicals I like loads of fabulous show tunes.

Often on Christmas and Easter or Bank Holidays.  Worth a look.  

Did you know started to revive a lot these in the West end now.  Gigi was revived I think last year.  Plus Guys and Dolls.

Originals released in the mid fifties.

Take care

Community Champion
    Recipes
  • GailR
    GailR Community member Posts: 12 Courageous
    Try 'Solar Radio' on Sky TV  (0129) and TuneIn app on phone or tablet or computer there a lot of stations 
    I go to a Northern Soul night one month in the Fiddler Elbow in North London  
    I'll love Soul, Tamla and Jazz ......  and I went the 'Tamla' Show in London 
    xx

• thespiceman
    Hello @GailR Pleased to meet you another soul sister welcome.

Have great enjoyment of this music. Try maybe back to all nighters in Blackpool again.

Not so young  now,  What is happening now the vaults are being opened. Especially Motown.  Other defunct labels that have been bought by the majors. That is why all these songs are being revived.

Which is good to hear for a lot of these artists either penniless or long gone but their families need the money for their estates.

Seen ads on TV all starting to use Northern Soul Classics. Sliced Tomatoes by The Just Brothers recent one.

Bought two new compilations of Northern Soul mainly Motown artists really cheers me up.
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • GailR
    My fiance worked Mojo Ballistic and Blue Bird record label 
    In the old bands Hi Tension - David Joseph, Paul McLean, George Bromfield of Second Images and The Groove Association - all friends :) 
    We are to see Shalimar on Saturday and Leee John from Imagination at a party of Tony Monson on Sunday :)
    I live only 5 minutes to Summer Soulstice in June  :)  The Real Thing, Howard Johnson, Daisy Hicks on stage - you would like this!!!  
    I know Solar Radio had a weekend in Blackpool 

• GailR
  • GailR
  • thespiceman
    Hello @GailR Thanks for the information and the fantastic pictures.

Keep the Faith.

Always collected and bought soul records from the sixties and seventies.  Had a big collection of Northern Soul and Motown.

Then come the eighties kicked off soul revival. Northern soul clubs all over the North went to Leeds and Liverpool and Blackpool.
    My local night club used to have Monday night soul night. Usual went to other clubs in the North East.

Then met a few of the Northern Soul stars plus one or two Motown.

Usually turn up at Blackpool.

Met Edwin Starr lived in Nottingham area.

Seen most of the groups. Four Tops and Temptations before a lot of the changes taken place  Same with a lot of the groups.. Drifters, Stylistics.

Fan of Brenda Holloway. Gladys Knight . Kim Weston, Mary Wells, Tammi Terrell

I remember Imagination and Shalamar . Real Thing   Where there is an audience.

Sad loss about Eddie Amoo may he rest in peace. People do not realise lay a trail blazer for others to follow.

From the early days from Liverpool The Chants the first black Mersey beat group.

Had a few tracks on albums.

Sorry sad story ran a business , unfortunately had to sell the collection. Taxman wanted his share. So sold the lot. Now on benefits but buying them all back again.

Usually CD collections.

Loads of memories for me. Had a addiction history so bringing back any of these songs . Helps me recover and gives me up beat feelings.

Am clean for eleven years.  My issues are people recall or remember me from a lot of the clubs.  I went to. Unfortunately all hazy for me and do not remember them. just have occasion flashbacks of times I had..

Almost thirty years plus.

Lovely to meet you. Just keep in touch and keep truckin as they say

Take care
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • fishingmum
    fishingmum Community member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    I love listening to anything really, mostly blues, soul, when I want to relax, dance when I need motivated for housework, folk music when friends are round, anything sing along to in the car, but my most favourite happens to be anything my kdis play, we have a lot of power cuts here, so they get the guitars out and we just do a sing along for entrtainment.
    life is too short to let others make you miserable.
  • thespiceman
    Hello @fishingmum That is great that is why I wrote the post.

Depressed and not too good music on. Had a lovely upbeat feeling to the start of the day.

All helps the contributions.  To my well being .

Need a job doing do my favourite sandwich in the fridge leave it. Peanut Butter do the task or job eat the sandwich. On to the CD player bit of Northern Soul and am a happy lad for once best as I can be.

Good for housework and those cleaning related tasks. Good old Motown . Four Tops I Can't Help Myself.  Dancing in the Street. Martha Reeves and the Vandellas.

Great CD came out a while ago Motown Anthems all the hits and golden standards that make the Label.

Used to do programme and shuffle them in order to my tastes but now fingers are so painful and just find it hard to do.

Always trying find rarities. Lots of the Northern Soul and Motown have opened there vaults as last so can enjoy these gems and nuggets of delights.

What is poignant and sad for me losing hearing. Nothing they can do so finding it harder to listen and forget constantly names of songs and artists.

Found got CD in front of me to recall even so heard songs a thousands times still forgetting the names of artists.

Sorry but true.  That is why keep playing them.  Went a while ago to a group doing Art a couple or more years ago playing all my music but only because. Music is a great reminder and healer. 
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • eden
    eden Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    I love country songs I would put my mp3 player on and just me and the songs good way to get out off the world for a time nothing but the songs 
  • tamidavis
    tamidavis Community member Posts: 14 Connected
    I found cheesy 90s hits and also loads of ABBA really helps me!
  • JulesA65
    JulesA65 Community member Posts: 33 Courageous
    I am afraid Chas and Dave are my guilty pleasure. I can sing a long to them and smile
  • SociableSeanTB
    SociableSeanTB Community member Posts: 12 Connected
    @JulesA65 Chas and Dave always remind me of my brother, so when I haven't seen him for a little while it can make me smile and cheer me up.

@Sam_Scope I am an unashamed lover of musicals. For listening to the song and appreciating the talent, anything sung by Lea Salonga, for singing along with my wife, it's usually songs from Joseph, Legally Blonde or Les Mis :) 
  • mrbuttons
    mrbuttons Community member Posts: 221 Pioneering
    i was a dedicated clubber in the 1990's i loved dancing, its one thing i miss.

i was into chicago house music it was so uplifting, positive and inclusive all different types of people would turn up for friday nights at Bagleys in London and Return to the Source at Brixton Academy. Ahhhhhh, those were the days I was young , able bodied and uninhibited.

i also liked 90's indie rock like The Verve and Primal scream

a song I've liked recently was 'Happy' by Pharrell Williams, its impossible to listen to that without  wanting to dance even if you cant get up and jiggle about the living room.
    my comfort music when im feeling sad is mowtown and 70's-80's's pop and reggae because they remind me of my childhood.

• Smileygotwell
    Smileygotwell Community member Posts: 30 Courageous
    Skritty Politi’s ‘Sweetest Girl’  is a blissful sound for me, but I can keep still to very few tunes really; not that I have the energy or breath to last long any more! Much of the late great George Micheal’s music works a trick on me to or to contrast that perhaps some old live Cream; take ‘Rollin’ and Tumblin’’, or some blasting Led Zep’ One numbers.
    i find, so much is dependant on what I remember at the time, my memory often being quite compromised ; thankfully, there’s still quite a lot in there to muddle through! (And always, too much trash, lol!)
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for sharing these guys!
    Scope

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    80's music always cheers me up, especially Wham or Culture Club!  :smiley:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)

Brightness