Now have a manual car which is killing me can I get any help — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Now have a manual car which is killing me can I get any help

kaz7762
kaz7762 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited May 2018 in Transport and travel
I use to have a automatic car as my left side is very weak with Fybro and Arthritis, and I was advised to do so then pip took over and I cannot afford a decent automatic car without worrying it will break down, can I get any help?

Comments

• exdvr
    exdvr Community member Posts: 331 Pioneering

Hi @kaz7762.....Do you qualify for the mobility component of PIP?   If so then there's a reasonable choice of automatics available on the Motability scheme some of which have surprisingly low advance payments.  Motability embraces road tax, insurance RAC membership, plus all maintenance.  All you have to do is put fuel into it.  With my leg problems I need an automatic and couldn't now consider a manual gearbox.

Several car dealers also offer their particular type of contract hire deals so it may be  beneficial if you do a bit of googling to see what's on offer in your area.

Best wishes.

Best wishes.

DLTBGYD

• kaz7762
    I do get the mobility but only standard which doesn't give me much choice, I had full flat for life as my condition was considered would not get better with age, I really can't cope with all this  my depression and anxiety is through the roof, but according to pip It isn't that bad , thanks for your help, Kaz
  • kaz7762
    Sorry could you please send me some names of reputable garages, I  live in Weymouth Dorset very limited here Kaz
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kaz7762
    Sorry we dont have lists of reputable garages in your area, are you on Facebook? Could you ask friends and family for recommendations?

We do have a page about disabled motoring and motability here that may have some useful links.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness