Anyone been to the Peto Institute? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Anyone been to the Peto Institute?

Alemoco
Alemoco Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited January 2018 in Cerebral palsy
Hi 
I was looking to get advise from anyone who has taken their child/grandchild to the Peto Institute in Hungary? My grandson has cerebral palsy diplegia and I’m looking to do the best for the poor little sole, hopefully to help him walk.

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Alemoco I can't answer your question, I'm afraid (though somebody, I'm sure, will be able to help) but I just wanted to say hello and welcome you to the community. My last 'encounter' with anything to do with the Peto Institute was a very, very long time ago, so I'm not familiar with their current work.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Alemoco, and welcome to the community! 

The Peto Institute was mentioned in one of our past discussions, I wonder if @blld would be able to provide any more information on their experiences searching for the right support? 
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Alemoco

Good evening & welcome !!!

Sorry but I don’t know much about it.

I would be very happy in having a good look on the internet if that would help???
  • Alemoco
    Alemoco Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks for the offer, however, I was trying to get some personal feed back from people who have been to the institute,l.
  • dixiesara
    dixiesara Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    I worked with a child many years ago who went to the petro institute.  He had . It didn't help him to walk but it did help him to use his muscle spasms  to help him get dressed , if that makes sense . Everyone is different . 
  • Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering

Hi @Alemoco

Welcome to the community.

Over the years I have spoken to numerous parents whose children had attended the Peto Institute.

However, in recent years this seems to be a less common occurrence. I don't think this is any reflection on the Institute itself but probably due to the fact that it is now so much easier to access Conductive Education (the method devised by Peto) in the UK, without the expense and disruption of having to travel to overseas.

Best Wishes

Jean

https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

• CathMay
    CathMay Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Hi My Daughter in Law is Hungarian she trained at the Peto Institute in Budapest and works in the UK with others who trained there too delivering conductive education to babies and children with cerebral palsy and  I have seen the amazing results that they achieve.The Rainbow centre where she works is based in Fareham Hampshire and I know that there are also centres in Liverpool and Birmingham too and probably elsewhere The Rainbow Centre has a Facebook page that you can access to make contact for help and advice I hope this helps you and your family 
  • emilyd
    emilyd Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    The Peto is brilliant we rely on it unlike the British they train you and it is very low tech so you can continue to do it at home.  Our son has exceeded all British expectations thanks to the Peto. Plus it is cheaper to fly out stay there get trained and use their programs than pay for British therapies etc. Hungary is very cheap 45 euros for a morning 8.30 to 12.30 at the Peto. Go for it

Brightness