Advice on how to speak to doctor - trying to get help for son — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice on how to speak to doctor - trying to get help for son

Options
Rachel72
Rachel72 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited October 2021 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hi everyone i have joined this group to try and help my son. He is 24 in September and has basically been at home for the last 3 years. He has no friends no job and is lost. He definitely has some type of SLD. I tried when he was younger to get him diagnosed but they said he wasnt extreme enough. Also he still wanted to join the RAF so we just got by. The RAF is gonna happen now and he just finds work to stressful, doesnt understand why things he does are different or get social cues. He is very articulate and without being in a stressful situation would not be noticeable. He has only once to twice had any outbursts that i have seen but had others when i wasnt there. Most jobs he gets fired from in a few days. Anyway this is a long hello but we need help, or rather HE needs help. I know we have to get to the docs to start the process off, so trying to do that tomorrow, but any advice on how to word or how to speak to the doc to get what we need is appreciated.
Many Thanks  Xx

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Rachel72
    Does your son feel like he has issues? Do you think he will be honest with the doctor?

If he can see there is an issue, perhaps you could encourage him to write a diary that would help to see any patterns and clearly describe his feelings.

Good luck, let us know how you get on
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • fishingmum
    fishingmum Community member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi there, When it comes to speaking to your doctor, write everything down before going in so you do not forget to say it, include all outbursts, how he feels in social situations, what he does or does not get by way of social clues, can he pick up on facial expressions, how he copes with changes etc. The more info you have to hand the easier it is for the doctor to start the ball rolling on the correct path.

Has he had or can he see a counsellor? as any previous contact could be used in helping the doctor or if not, if you could get him to see someone maybe he could talk them in a way he might struggle with yourself.

I am a little concerned with you saying about RAF, the first 12 weeks he will be in a dorm room with others it is a demanding and grueling routine, there will be a lot of stress put on him, as well as gas testing, medicals, fitness testing etc, each night the folks in each dorm normally get together to have some fun and destress from the days events. the following year plus will be spent on his training for the career path he chose, while less stressful than the first 12 weeks still has a lot of pressure as an idividual for learning and there are quite a few events put on that they all must attend socially. I wish him all the best.
    life is too short to let others make you miserable.
  • smiler43
    smiler43 Community member Posts: 32 Courageous
    Options
    Hi Rachael72
    I would  defiantly get him to write things down that he wants to speak to the docter about x
  • Rachel72
    Rachel72 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Sorry it was a typo, the RAF is NOT going to happen. Which is a shame as he is a natural pilot, he handles a plane like a natural. Also he understands how to talk to people in the forces due to the rank structure. He was telling me this the other day. X Thanks very much for  all your input. X

Brightness