Failing Universal Credit WCA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Failing Universal Credit WCA

Tykelass54
Tykelass54 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited May 2018 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi,  Just found you online - hope someone can give me some advice or help as I eventually (after many weeks of sending fit notes in) had my WCA after having to claim Universal Credit when we moved area and, surprise, surprise - I failed!  I had been receiving ESA at my previous address for 6 years or so after having 7 foot operations due to bad arthritis in them.  Subsequently, due to my walking gait being different, the arthritis in my right knee worsened and slowly many other joints in my body are now very painful.  Mainly my shoulders and neck which makes sleeping difficult.  I feel the assessor at my WCA, nice though she was,  skipped over a few points and seemed to totally ignore the extent of how the pain in my feet affects my daily life - I cannot take any opiate based drugs as they make me so ill, so I am left with just paracetamol, which does not touch the pain at all. I have had a few nights recently where my shoulder pain has left me like a zombie in the mornings. I have made an appointment with my gp, but I expect the same response from her because of my sensitivity to opiate based drugs.  I'm yet to see the Decision Makers forms and what points, if any, they gave me as when I received it it was completely blank! I informed them of this through my journal and was told that she was away till this week and a message was left for her to send me it again.  I know I wouldn't be able to hold down a job... shouldn't my own gp's assessment be taken into account over a flamin' Decision Makers?  This Universal Credit is a complete joke!  Many Thanks in Advance,

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Tykelass54 Pleased to meet you welcome. Sorry what has happened.

Glad your are here. Understand please can I say. You need to speak to some one who can advise you.
    @BenefitsTrainingCo will be able to advise. They can help, also have a look at other post or threads for any of community who could advise.

Under Disability employment finances and disability benefits.

Sorry about your circumstances and hopefully you will get the correct advice and information.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Tykelass54, welcome to the community!

So sorry to hear about your experiences; I'm sure that many of our community members will be able to relate to your frustrations. Will you be appealing the decision? If so, this Turn2Us resource may help. It sounds like you're doing the right thing by arranging to see your GP again too. Please do keep us updated and if we can be of any assistance, do let us know.
  • Tykelass54
    Thank you for  your answers,  I am going to appeal, most definitely.   I will have a look at your link.  I don't see my 'work coach' at the Job Centre till the 11th May... wish it was sooner..  it's going to be  in my mind all the time.  Thank you again, this seems a great site.  :)  
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,319 Disability Gamechanger
    Unfortunately, the assessment report carries a lot of weight when making the decision. What a GP thinks has nothing to do with what DWP think. The only thing you can is ask for a MR and you have 28 days to do this.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tykelass54
    Thanks Poppy,  I am doing that.  The more I think about it the more things at the assessment weren't right. Probably partly me as I was so uncomfortable and just wanted to get out of there.   :(  I've been going over an over it in my mind since.  When I get the Decision Makers form I'll be able to see exactly what's what. 

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,319 Disability Gamechanger
    Decision Makers form? Do you mean the assessment report?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tykelass54
    No, that is sent to  someone called the Decision Maker and they then make the decision whether you are fit for work or not looking at the information the assessor put down along with the info I put on my ESA50 form. The decision makers form was sent to me but it was completely blank!  They said the sending had failed and I'm still waiting for ir to be sent to me again... I'm getting more stressed by the day.  Where I used to live I was put in the WRAG group, that was 5 years ago and my mobility and pain I suffer every day has got worse... the basis of my disability is arthritis - and that doesn't ever get better, does it?  Along with the fact I can't tolerate any opiate based pain relief is making my daily living not at all pleasant.  I put all this on my ESA50 form, but I bet you the Decision Maker never looked at it! And the assessor, even though I told her too, just seemed to skim over it! Got my Job Centre appointment on Friday... I've already told my 'work coach' that I'm appealing of course.   

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.