Warfarin and healthy eating — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Warfarin and healthy eating

Kelly2912
Kelly2912 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Any advice on what is really good diet while on warfarin can not get my inr on target nearl 2 years post op and only hit my target twice inr 2.5..3.5 target

Comments

• Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Kelly2912, hopefully @KirstenNutritionAdvisor will be able to help you out with this! In the meantime, I found this Warfarin diet guidance online, although I'd highly recommend seeking guidance from a professional before making any changes to your diet/ condition management. 
  • Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering

Hi @Kelly2912

Have you received advice from an NHS Dietitian? If not, it would be wise to ask your GP for a referral. 

There is such a confusing array of contradictory information and advice about diet out there in internet land. However, especially for people with underlying medical conditions, it is really important to ensure you are receiving advice tailored to your individual clinical needs. 

Dietitians are  qualified health professionals, registered and regulated by law, who assess, diagnose and treat dietary and nutritional problems at an individual and wider public-health level. Uniquely, dietitians use the most up-to-date public health and scientific research on food, health and disease which they translate into practical guidance to enable people to make appropriate lifestyle and food choices.

Best Wishes

Jean

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KirstenNutritionAdvisor
    KirstenNutritionAdvisor Community member Posts: 53 Courageous

One nutrient that can lessen warfarin's effectiveness is vitamin K. It's important to be consistent in how much vitamin K you get daily. The adequate intake level of vitamin K for adult men is 120 micrograms (mcg). For adult women, it's 90 mcg. While eating small amounts of foods that are rich in vitamin K shouldn't cause a problem, AVOID consuming LARGE amounts of certain foods or drinks, including:

• Kale
    • Spinach
    • Brussels sprouts
    • Collards
    • Mustard greens
    • Chard
    • Broccoli
    • Asparagus
    • Green tea
    You can see eat the above just don't over eat the above. 

Certain drinks can increase the effect of warfarin, leading to bleeding problems. Avoid or consume only small amounts of these drinks when taking warfarin:

• Cranberry juice
    • Alcohol
    Taken from https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/thrombophlebitis/expert-answers/warfarin/faq-20058443

Without knowing your full details it would be irresponsible for me to advise you on specific. 

If you are able to post on here more details and an example of your current diet and lifestyle I would be better equips to advise you. 

Hope this is helpful never the less. 
  • Kelly2912
    Kelly2912 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    I have a poor eating habit i only eat one meal a day but I do have supplement drinks provided on percription can taking other medications at the same time or near the time I take warfarin affect my levels 

Brightness