Brain Training Fun — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Brain Training Fun

whistles
whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
Light hearted approach. :) 

I don't wish to be rude to anyone, but this thread is assuming you already have a brain.
Now if you don't I think I can source these but they are for hire and you need references.   ;)

So your ideas on how to exercise it. I don't know if using your brain burns calories.( I was tempted to google and see if anyone had written anything. I bet you they have! )

Serious bit.
I rarely write anything now. It took three attempts to do my gp a letter, which I noted to them.
But is it a case of use it or lose it. 
How many of you cannot write because you don't need to anymore or cannot because haven't? 
This applies to spelling.

Almost links to pip because how many of us can't do what we said because we can't or can't because we haven't for such a long time. 
I worked through pip to see how I actually did the descriptors rather than just putting no sometimes yes. 

I discovered I actually struggle with the phone- you know that object that some parents moaned at us about for running up bills as a kid!!
Everyone I know and society as a whole dont verbally communicate like they did, it's all gone to text.
Pip doesn't take not being able to use the phone into account in the communication. Had they handed me a phone I would have handed it back! 
  • Safely
  • To an acceptable standard
  • Repeatedly
  • In a reasonable time
  • Everytime!  :)

So my first step to training is to make some phonecalls. Proactive Approach. 
Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.

Comments

• feir
    feir Community member Posts: 397 Pioneering
    Tips for brain training? Learn something new if you're capable.Since i became mildly disabled i have learned about cellular biology, cell functions and proteins etc. Then last year i developed chronic pain and was unable to do anything so had a break, mental health declined a lot too, but right now my brain is functioning fairly well i am learning how to create web pages and designs beyond the basic version i have had for years as it isn't too taxing to learn and is fun. I'd love to go back to cellular biology again as soon as i'm able to.

I struggle to type because the letters come out the wrong way round but doing an online PIP form would be better for me as i struggle to hold a pen, all my torso limbs are affected now and this extends down into my writing hand also. They just presume we can get someone to help us fill in the form, or that CAB have instant appointments we can get to to help us. In fact if everything was online that needed communication i'd be doing fine with that.

Did you know that gorillas constantly have to graze on food to feed their brain because they are vegetarian. This topic made me think of that,not sure why, lol.

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @whistles Good points. My brain training is making food and yes it is that simple. Remember how to do simple tasks safely.

Understand every body going to say well that is not brain training.

It is for me to follow a recipe and the same time. That word the ladies can do but us gentlemen struggle with.  Multi tasking . lol

Doing several tasks at once and making sure they are done to the recipes instructions.

Another word is this the computer getting used to IT and other technologies like mobiles. New TV and anything technical.

Try and do word puzzles as much as I can.  Understand that helps.

One of the effects of alcoholism is the dementia side of the addiction.  Used to take Thiamine for it.

Memory plays tricks on my mind all the time. Senior moments.  Why another one is music that am playing now. Recall lyrics and people who sang them. Used to remember al that.

Do recall and remember some songs my favourites. As I grow older disgracefully. Like you said the phone.

By way use my ideas if you wish. Write a script to speak to any caller or . Make a script to call some one.

Had this the other day. Wrote what I needed to say down first before I rang.

Once I was affluent in the benefits system and other stuff now gone and struggle to recall anything.

Worse for me new car with buttons and whistles. Had to call out R.A.C.  Could not start the car. Even with a guide. All nonsense. Understand of course not.

Taken me a month to sort that one out.

Still finding buttons and whistles.

Have not a clue what they all mean.

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • fishingmum
    fishingmum Community member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    Learnign something new does help with brain training, as does ........ wait for it .........BINGO. apparently bingo is great for the brain, it helps with alertness and cognitive functioning so worth a try. Crafts are also another thing to do to help stave off brain deterioration as it helps build neural pathways, probably to do with learning new patterns or designs, so get out the knitting needles and crochet hooks.
    Also saying about writing, I hardly ever see anything hand written now, even the children at school most work is done on a computer and they type up their notes and save it on to a pen drive and hand that in for homework now. I think maybe take up a form of writing such as caligraphy, not only are you practsining writing but also then learning a new style, so improving neural pathways.

Anything that makes you think would be a candidate, but mixing it with a physical aspect does extra for health as well.
    life is too short to let others make you miserable.
  • feir
    I need more training, i meant to say torso joints not limbs. :hushed:

Cooking is a science and is most definitely scientific brain training,  @thespiceman there is maths while you are measuring out stuff, chemistry as you mix ingredients and cause chemical reactions, same in the cooking and the cooking is physics too no matter what you use to cook your meal.
  • whistles
    That made me smile about not being able to start the car.
    I can relate to that.
    I think if and when I get one of these amazing items, I won't know how to get in the silly thing!! 
    It's one of my I will get one regardless you know things. Just hope I'm not pushed to act in that thought.

I also wonder if tech is racing ahead so fast that if your not on the conveyor belt of life, it leaves you behind? 
  • thespiceman
    Hello @feir   Thank you for the reply. You are right because of course. Food is a science and mix of physics

Had a amusing tale had a friend would not cook anything. All about measuring and amounts..  He stated. Well it is what season food fourteens grains of salt. Twenty turns of the pepper mill. Not like that is measuring.  I replied

Half teaspoon of spices or things like that. Can see him now counting out the grains of salt.

Here 's an interesting thought science plays a part in food when and how did early man decided if and what was edible.

How did he find out. Obviously tried a taste but what about the poisonous foods how did they determine that.

Brain training must have done. Whether foods cooked were palatable or not .

Always something learn for the brain.

Next will be all like QI elves have a page for useful facts to impress our friends around the sausage rolls or the cocktails .
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • thespiceman
    Hello @whistles Glad made you smile about the car.  This one has camera in it, so when reversing can see into a space.  Also to park.

Has alarms and bells go over white lines.

If a car passes you lights on the wing mirrors lights up.  Blind side.

Annoyed has no ejector button seat on the automatic gear stick for irritating passengers who are teaching you to drive. Press that out you go.

Got all high tech no keys all buttons to press to start.  Opens with out a key. Press buttons and opens doors. Instruction manual all crumbled up. All done in English but all gooblygook.

Already having the new hybrids are out there.

Mix of electric and petrol cars.

Driverless cars could be reality.

Sorry no man with a red flag anymore sorry. I asked for that as well lol
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • thespiceman
    Sorry @whistles in my case a lady with a flag just a joke.
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • feir
    The people who ate the poisonous food will have died or become unwell and so others avoided that food because they had an idea what caused it. I'd love to know why people decided to cook food?  Nobody actually knows why but they're sure it caused us to advance cognitively as the nutrition from cooked foods is higher than from raw and so feeds our brain better and for longer.

Lol at your friend counting out salt. I didn't bother measuring anything out when cooking, most recipes are equal amounts of everything or one thing is half the amount of the other and so long as you know what the consistency of things like dough or pastry are supposed to look like you can go off that really. My kids are enjoying cooking now but they sure eat a lot .

• whistles
    Maybe we need the man with the flag again.
    It might slow people down who try to cram 4 hours into 24. 

That actually could be a job for me. If they didn't mind where I took them. 
  • thespiceman
    Hello @feir thanks for comments. Must have had food tasters and probably took risks. Just a little bit.  See what happens

Ray Mears sort of guy must given tasted this and why how can we cook this.

All I know do measure spices out and taste all the time. Have teaspoon on person all the time to taste.

Forgot you can brain train your mind and body to control portion sizes. Done that for years use bowls. Like Pasta ones for all meals.

So portion control and each slowly and after eating stop have half an hour or more because the signal to brain takes a good half hour to say if your full.

Then fruit, yoghurt nuts bread or whatever sweets or puddings you want to have.  After wards and always water to drink.

Works for me anyway. Mr Paul McKenna wrote a book on the subject. The hypnotist.
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • thespiceman
    Hello @whistles I agree with you there. Every body drives too fast in my opinion.

Except me and you and all the drivers of our community.

Understand it is others.
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    My dad had a stroke about 3 years ago which he fully recovered from, Almost. He has short term memory problems but he cant remember it, so its not a problem for him only others. He refused to cooperate with the services he was offered to help this at the time and has just forgotten the things he used to enjoy doing with his brain. Crosswords, computer solitaire etc. Now he is waiting on an appointment from memory clinic to see a psychiatrist as I asked the community nurse about his short term memory issues again and I am now the bad guy. He has been told not to drive and he cant drive unless he gets clearance. He hasnt really been driving for a long time anyway as we dont think he is safe. So my dad cant remember why he isnt allowed to drive and im just interefering. Nothing new there lol. So its very important that you make the most of your brain cells while you have them. I find it hard with fibro and the meds I get brain fog. Ive got to write everything down and note it on my phone or its gone.  I like phone apps that work my brain. 
  • debbiedo49
    @whistles I rarely make phonecalls unless absolutely have to. Then, I prepare by writing down my points or questions with a space underneath each one. Big A4 works for me lol. I tell everyone who asks for my phone number I prefer email unless they insist. It gives me the space I need to read and respond appropriately. I am so terrified of agreeing to or saying the wrong thing due to dealing with dwp etc that its becoming a nightmare for me to phone them. I also think email is a written record. Phoning is good for chatting. If its something important on the call I will say could you text or email me that please? 
  • debbiedo49
  • feir
    I'll have to control my kids food portions by not having any food in the house,haha. @thespiceman Not heard of Paul McKenna for ages but i do remember he was good at that, think he did a giving up smoking help also. Probably going to sleep soon, really tired here.
  • whistles
    Hello @whistles I agree with you there. Every body drives too fast in my opinion.

Except me and you and all the drivers of our community.

Understand it is others.
    I don't drive fast because I don't drive at all. :-) 
  • whistles
    @whistles I rarely make phonecalls unless absolutely have to. Then, I prepare by writing down my points or questions with a space underneath each one. Big A4 works for me lol. I tell everyone who asks for my phone number I prefer email unless they insist. It gives me the space I need to read and respond appropriately. I am so terrified of agreeing to or saying the wrong thing due to dealing with dwp etc that its becoming a nightmare for me to phone them. I also think email is a written record. Phoning is good for chatting. If its something important on the call I will say could you text or email me that please? 
    Nobody gets my number unless they are essential  :)
    And I did make the effort to make two phone calls today. 
    One left me boiling my onions so I rang someone else to tell them.  ;)

What gets me in the rare occasion I by something new, the shops wanting to email the receipt. Oh no. Not having you bombard me with ****, sell my details. 
    No thanks.
  • fishingmum
    fishingmum Community member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    @thespiceman hahahaha ejector seat, I am sure you can have one installed here is a diy link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsKq-VjdbPc

@whistles the problem I have where we live is tourists driving too slow. we are on a single track road and the speed limit is 60, but tourist tend to drive between 20-30, also stopping on the road to take pictures and people are trying to go to the shop or doctors etc and you are trying to tell them to park in a lay by and they just ignore you and continue taking pictures. Last year a doctor who was on call ws trying to get to the scene of an accident but tourists stopped their car, she had the green flashing light on but the refused to move they parked in the middle of the road and called the police trying to say the doctor was harrassing them on the road it took her 45 minutes to get to the accident which should have only taken 15 minutes tops. Thankfully the police got there quickly and the tourists were arrested and had to go to court. The lady was ok in the end but it should not happen. it infuriates me when people do not know basic driving rules and act in such a way.

life is too short to let others make you miserable.
  • thespiceman
    Hello @feir Thank you for reply. This the problem the phycology of eating food has spurned loads of books.

See The Food Doctor Ian Marber. Now used to be on Richard and Judy Channel Four show.

Fasinatining books and all very sensible and practical.

Thing is the cultures of the Med have been doing this sort of thing for years. Suddenly it is all taking off.

Paleo Diet to the food of the Med. All I know I never snack or eat huge portions.

Feel full all the time, enjoy what I eat.

See my posts on what I eat.

Take care

Like your joke about by controlling your children's portions no food in the house.

Community Champion
    Recipes

Brightness