Help — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help

cripps
cripps Community member Posts: 412 Pioneering
please talk to me and give me advice on my next move because i can’t do this on my own anymore. 

Comments

• susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    @cripps

whats the problem?
  • cripps
    The problem is i can’t cope with these consultants passing me down the line because it’s easier for themselves. If this continues I’m not sure if i can keep it together anymore, I’m suffering to no end and to get people to listen is so frustrating is taking me to an early grave, i need help and someone to take the lead. Please help me. 
  • debkenzo
    debkenzo Community member Posts: 110 Pioneering
    Hello Cripps
    What is happening?  Tell us a bit more and hope someone on here can help you :)
  • cripps
    At Christmas i had a Mayer 10 hour operation that saved my life and after a 3 week recovery in hospital i was discharged, when i returned a week later with extreme pain and unable to sit comfortabley they  took me straight back in, so again after 2 weeks of recovery they discovered me. The problem ever since is im still in extreme pain loosing weight and i hate eating because of the problems it courses. When i go for check ups i try explaining all the problems I’m having but my consultants just keep upping my medication. I know i get flustered and the anxiety kicks in but i do my best to explain but i always come out feeling like a little school boy that’s just had detention. The whole thing is depressing me and my anxiety is on a high, I’m so depressed with the pain and discomfort i really do feel like calling it a day and that’s why i need help in so many ways.
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Do you get help with your mental health? 
  • cripps
    No non what’s so ever, if i could sort my physical side out then my mental health would follow. 
  • debbiedo49
    Not necessarily. If you have anxiety then you could perhaps get someone to help you. I have anxiety and I can get help. Without it I would be stuck. You are a whole person, mental and physical if that makes sense?  How you feel emotionally and mentally helps you cope with pain and anxiety.
  • cripps
    Thanks i do understand what you’re saying but i really need to sort my insides out, get rid of the pain then my anxiety will follow. I have been told that pain can be in the mind ok some maybe but not all because the pain i get is not all in my head .
  • debbiedo49
    No I understand that too. I have chronic pain. Good luck
  • cripps
    Thanks you look after yourself. 
  • debbiedo49
    Just saw your post on my wall you can message me if you want to chat.
  • debkenzo
    debkenzo Community member Posts: 110 Pioneering
    Hello Cripps
    Have your G.P. or consultant ever suggested to you for referral to pain management clinic?  I am venturing on this path very soon.  I am not managing my pains very well and at times I just want to be 'put' out of my misery! :(
  • cripps
    Hi there thanks for posting, my consultants have put me on the pain management team before but not to be insulting to them all they focused on was all the pain i had was in my head. They even at one point surgested i drop my medication and focus on  mind management, as you can imagine this did not go down well with myself or my consultants because they had spent an a hell of a lot of time getting different medication to work together. After that confrontation i decided with my consultants agreement to drop them all together. They may work well with some people but with myself it was a total no no. 
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    @crippsas you get anxious when trying to explain to the consultants what going on with, pain, food, weight and other linked medical problems write it down so they can read it and understand without you getting anxious and forgetting things.

Its just a thought
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    I'm so sorry to hear that you're struggling, @cripps. How are you feeling today? 

With what you've mentioned about your consultants and appointments, have you ever considered finding an advocate?

An advocate will support you to be involved as much as possible in decisions about your care. Your advocates can help you when the council is:

An advocate might help you get information or go with you to meetings or interviews to support you.

Your advocate can also write letters on your behalf, or speak for you in situations where you don't feel able to speak for yourself.

Where to find an advocate

Local authorities fund advocacy services in their area. To find an advocacy service, contact your local council or check their website.

• cripps
    Thank you PIPPA that’s the best advice I’ve had in a long while, I’ll give the council a ring and see what they can do if any. Thanks again. 

Brightness