RECIPE IDEAS — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

RECIPE IDEAS

fishingmum
fishingmum Community member Posts: 562 Pioneering
One thing I have noticed a lot over the years are the amount of people who have a small selection of foods they make and tend to stick with. So I thought how about a place we can all share recipes, maybe something a little different,or something a little more economic on the finances. It could be tasty snacks or meals.

Snack idea
Savoury egg muffins

You will need:
12 hole muffin tray, (I use reusable silicone muffin molds) muffin molds, jug, whisk, chopping board, knife, grater

6 eggs, approx 100ml milk, pinch of salt and pepper, 2-3 shakes of paprika, 1tbsp chopped chives put in a jug and whisk together.

Grate some cheese and put to one side.

Using the knife and chopping board, chop up 1 roasted red pepper and split between the 12 muffin molds. Depending on preference, chop up some courgette, (or if you prefer maybe some smoked sausage) split between the molds. Top with some grated cheese then pour over the egg mixture. Put in the middle of the oven at 180C for approx 35-40 minutes, or until you can put a knife in the middle and it comes away clean. (if using a gas oven it should be gas mark 4)

Cost for the 12 is approx going on ingredients above would be £3, this is also depending on your choice of ingredients, what you have left over that would not cost extra to use.
I normally have a bowl of soup then 2 of these for a lunch or 2 of these on a plate with a salad.

I have used courgette, roasted peppers, spring onions, left over cooked mushrooms, grated broccoli, I have used smoked sausage, garlic sausage, shredded chicken (left over from a roast) so this is a very adaptable snack that is easy on the budget. They can be frozen and will be fine in the fridge for upto 3 days. It also nice to have something a little different when people come round at lunch times.
life is too short to let others make you miserable.

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @fishingmum Great ideas . Started I hope to see more posts like this. Good. Have started a post on Italian Cooking the other month. May start to put recipes on here as well.

People have forgotten how to cook. Also understand using what you can. To help yourself.  No matter the illness or disability.

Always have simple ideas on hand to start. Make it simple. Have confusion to follow a recipe from a book or a post . Write it down. Bullets and adapt to your own tastes.

This is my favourite soup of all time 

MINESTRONE

Simple to do and make. Yes there is some dicing and chopping. Use food processor. Cuts the work down.

Quick Time some vegetables can be pre cooked or parboiled and then add to the soup.

You will need the following

2 Leeks washed diced and fine
    3 Small Carrots sliced and diced
    1 Zucchini Cored sliced diced
    Potatoes Par boil cool add small ones about four cut in half
    2 Celery Sticks diced sliced

Jar of passata
    Tin of Cannellini Beans
    Spaghetti Broken Up  Use Tea towel wrap in and smash and then to Stockpot
    Stock cubes be vegetable crumbled in
    Spices Chill from a jar half teaspoon
    Fennel Seed  1teaspoon
    Italian Seasoning herbs Half tablespoon
    Garlic to taste 2 or 3 cloves smashed or from a jar half a teaspoon
    Bay leaf
    Black pepper.
    Olive oil
    Tomato puree/ Tomato Ketchup 1 Teaspoon each
    Red wine Vinegar a dash

Method

1.  All Vegetables to Stockpot with olive oil.  Sauté till soft.

2. Add spices and tomato puree/ ketchup/ dried herbs, garlic, season

3. Crumbled stock cube in add touch water plus Passata

4.  Cover till begins to boil. Simmer and add Cannellini beans drained and broken spaghetti.

5. Check after half hour on taste season if have to. Check pasta is cooked.

Serve

This is a versatile soup need to alter vegetables add in swede add in different roots.  Greens.  Other soup pasta.  Understand in Italy the normal shapes you can get .Also come in miniature known as pastina. For Soups. Use with the Passata add some sun dried tomatoes or roasted red peppers.

Add chickpeas or lentils for a change.  Buy lentils in packs with herbs in them. Already cooked.

Serve with Sausage Meatballs. Out of skins sausage meat roll into meatballs. Fry off and add to soup.

Done this with Cooked Chicken from the deli. Last minute warm through chicken

Add in pesto at the end. Genoese style. Great thing about this soup is it keeps in the fridge for days.

Also freeze well with out the pulses and spaghetti add when defrosting 

Buono Appetito

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • fishingmum
    edited May 2018
    @thespicemanI love minestrone soup :)

This is a nice easy dish as well.
    Mozzarella in carozza

You will need a bowl, whisk, knife, chopping board,frying pan, pot for the sauce,

Make a sauce first, this is a basic tomato and pepper sauce.
    1 onion finely chopped,2 cloves garlic crushed, 1 red pepper roughly chopped, 1tin chopped tomatoes, 2 tbsp tomato puree, 1tbsp lemon juice, pinch of salt and pepper., olive oil.

Put oil in the pot heat then add onions cook till soft then add pepper cook for a few minutes then add all other ingredients bring to the boil then simmer for 15 minutes. ( you can always put it through a blender if you prefer a smooth sauce)

Whilst it is simmering, you can make the carozza.

8 slices of bread, 2-3 eggs, splash of milk, ball of mozzarella, parma ham, butter.
    oil.
    Cut the crusts off of the bread and finely butter the slices, slice up the mozzarella, and make them into cheese and ham sandwiches press firmly together then cut into triangles. In a bowl whisk the eggs and milk. Dip the sandwiches in the mix and make sure it is well coated. heat oil in the frying pan once ready fry the sandwiches until golden brown.

Serve with the tomato sauce.. Great wee snack or lunch. approx cost to make is £3 and this will serve 4 people. You can take out the parma ham and just do it with mozzarella if prefered.

The crusts can be cubed and made into croutons to add to soup. so no waste.

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Some great ideas here!!!
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • fishingmum
    Sam_Scope said:
    Some great ideas here!!!
    I thought for people on a budget or maybe difficulty in cooking something easy and cheap it would be an idea to collate a few recipes in one place.
  • fishingmum
    I fish, so my fish is free so I have went online to morrisons to get an idea of the price of mackerel for the recipe. I also use the whole fish but fillets could be used to make it easier for those who can not debone with ease.

mackerel pate.

you will need a tray, a bowl, a chopping board, knife, blender

approx 250g of cooked mackerel, 1 lemon, half dozen chives roughly chopped, 1 small red onion finely chopped, 200g cream cheese.

put mackerel on a tray in the oven till cooked, take out debone leave to cool.
    chop up chives and red onion and put in bowl add in juice of 1 lemon and cream cheese add in the cooked mackerel and blend together.

Serve with some toast. this can be had at any time of day. Serves 4
    Approx cost £2.50

This can be frozen. I normally do this in bigger batches and freeze 4 portions at a time.
  • fishingmum
    Oat bars

you will need a bowl, wooden spoon,a baking tray

125g butter, 100g brown sugar, 4tbsp golden syrup, 250g oats, 40g fruit and nut mix (or just raisins or nuts what ever your preference is)

Melt butter, sugar and syrup in a bowl mix in all other ingredients. Once well coated and well mixed transfer to your baking tray smooth out and put in the oven for 30 minutes at electric 180 or gas 4 in the middle of the oven.

If you have someone needing to gain weight add in 60g whey powder, 15ml honey and 50ml milk and mix through, put on tray and fridge for 30 minutes and then bake the same way.

Once ready take out and allow to cool, cut into the sizes you are happy to eat.

Cost of this is approx £1.60 and depending on size you can make 12 pieces.
  • fishingmum
    Easy fish cakes

you will need a chopping board, knife, pot, masher, 3 shallow dishes, frying pan
    grater, bowl

450g potatoes, 300g fish (depending on tastes it can be mackerel, cod, coley, pollack, salmon) 2 large spring onions finely chopped, tbsp mixed herbs, 6 chives finely chopped, grated cheese approx 50g, plain flour, 1 egg beaten, breadcrumbs. oil

Cook and drain potatoes then mash. sit to oneside. cook the fish debone and allow to cool.
    Finely chop spring onion and chives. Grate cheese.
    Put potato, fish, onions ,cheese and herbs in a bowl and mix well. take out and make small balls then flatten out to a desired size.
    In 3 dishes have one with flour, one with egg and one with breadcrumbs.
    take each patty and coat each one in the flour then egg then breadcrumbs, sit in fridge for half hour.
    Once ready heat up your oil then fry your fish cakes till golden brown on both sides.

Serves 4. these can be frozen. Cost approx £4

if you struggle with cooking potatoes you can always cheat and use packets of mash potato, same with cooking and deboning fish, you might want to use tins that are already cooked and deboned for you. The cost will of course be more expensive, but if you have these items in your cupboard it makes for a quick and easy meal.
  • susan48
    susan48 Community member Posts: 2,221 Disability Gamechanger
    @fishingmum
    Thanks for the recipes.
    Can I borrow you for a few days so you could help me stock my freezer  :)
  • fishingmum
    @susan48 I go and visit friends and do this, I normally take down a lot of fish as well, I did not realise how expensive it is to buy until I looked online for prices, I was shocked. :o

• susan48
    @fishingmum
    I buy frozen fish or tinned tuna. Fresh fish is more expensive that meat!!
    Your lucky you get yours free, and your friends are lucky to have you x
  • fishingmum
    left over puff pastries.

I always keep a couple of sheets of ready rolled puff pastry in the freezer that I can use for a lazy night. 1 sheet of rolled out pastry cut into 4 squares makes 4 portions of a puff pastry meal. If you are able it is cheaper to buy a block and roll it out yourself. It costs £1 for a ready rolled sheet.

Ingredients can be what ever you have left over,

If you have made macaroni cheese keep a little of the cheese sauce to one side, all you have to do then is fry some onions put a couple of tables spoons of the cheese sauce and some fried onions in and make the pastry like a parcel using a fork pinch the sides together, beat up 1 egg and use it to brush over the pastry and pop in the oven at 180 gas 4 for approx 30-40 minutes or until the pastry has risen and gone a nice golden brown colour.

left over roast chicken, make a basic white sauce using 25g butter 25g plain flour 400ml milk. keep stirring till thickened. Depending what you have it could be a mushroom, or some bacon, dice it up and fry it, once again put 2 tbsp of sauce into you parcel with some chicken and mushroom, fold over pinch the sides with a fork brush over with egg and put in oven. A cheat if you do not have the ingredients to make a sauce, use a cup a soup just don't add the full amount of water and make it thicker as a sauce. Its a cheap and easy way for a cheat.

You can do the same with casseroles, stews just do not put too much of the sauce in it and you can get another nights dinner for everyone with left overs.
  • susan48
    Great tip about cups soup, never even thought about that , fabulous 
  • fishingmum
    susan48 said:
    Great tip about cups soup, never even thought about that , fabulous 
    Another cheat is tins of condensed soups, do not add water or milk keep it thick and use as a base in puff pastries as well, it is a cheat but it can do, so if you can afford to spend an extra £1 pick up a tin or packet of cup a soups, they can always do in a pinch. My friends phone me up and say what they have in the cupboard when they have little money for food so I can give them ideas of what they can make lol
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
  • thespiceman
    Hello @fishingmum Thanks for the ideas. One of the things I have been doing is making my own sauces. All of us should know how to make some of these.

So I thought add to the list.  All freezable and use up vegetables we all have

RAGU SAUCE

This is sauce I make using Solfritto all cuisines have three vegetables that they use as a base for sauces.

Whether Onion, Carrots, Celery .

In The Deep South in America the Holy Trinity. Onions, Green Peppers and Celery.

Simple and freezer friendly in to portions and zip bags. Time saver.  Goes great with Chicken, Pork and add in Beans, Pulses.

You need a food processor.

Slow cooker or Stockpot.

2 Onions, 2 Carrots, 3 sticks Celery diced into food processor.  Do each one separately.
    Jar Passata
    1 Stock cube
    1 Teaspoon Jar Chilli
    1Tablespoon of Tomato Puree and Ketchup
    Dash Red Wine Vinegar.
    Black Pepper
    Touch water

All to Stockpot or Slow Cooker long and slow.  Till Vegetables soft and if you wish Blender for a smoother sauce.  Cool down first before Blender. Label Freezer Zipbags.

Herbs do not add . Add when defrosting .  Add appriopate herbs for Meat Rosemary Chicken. Sage Pork. Or Italian dried mix.

Same with spices Cinnamon Lentils or Coriander ground for Pork.

Notice no garlic just do not . Can if you want to.

This is fantastic to share recipes .

Good to hear from you

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • debbiedo49
    My food processor died some time ago. It really helped with cooking. It so sad lol
  • fishingmum
    @debbiedo49 do you have a stick blender? you can always use that just smaller portions so it could handle it at least you could still blend what you need.
  • thespiceman
    Hello @debbiedo49 Good morning. Been into ASDA  .Bought their George Home range own food processor.

Really easy to set up and has three slicer attachments. Well as easy assembly small compact good price around £20 plus.

As you all know need one for my disability. Kind of what I need.

If it works for me.  Just a suggestion.

Take care 
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • fishingmum
    this is a brunch/ light lunch recipe, well depending on much you like to eat :)

Breakfast boat.

You will need a chopping board, knife, baking tray, grater, bowl, whisk, frying pan

4 mini baguettes, 6 eggs, 100ml double cream, 4 sausages cooked and sliced up, 1/2 onion finely chopped and sauteed, half dozen chives roughly chopped salt and pepper, 50g grated cheddar cheese.

Cut your mini baguettes in the middle to make a v like channel and put the bread to oneside. Leaving the ends in tact to hold in the mixture.
    In a bowl mix eggs, cream, salt and pepper, then add in your onions and sausage.
    Pour the mix into the baguettes, now sprinkle over with grated cheese and top with chives put in the oven 180 or gas 4 for approx 20 minutes.

The cost for 4 servings is approx £2.60

The bread that was taken out can be frozen and left for another day. But some ideas for the use of this take small cubes of cheese use  the bread to form a ball round it and shallow fry it, till golden brown.

Roll it out and dice it up for croutons and fry the cubed bread bits till ready.

Use the full amount and flatten into a circle shape and use it like a pizza dough, just add a basic tomato sauce recipe on the top, some grated mozzarella and cheddar mix and pop into the oven till baked.
  • debbiedo49
    Thanks @fishingmum i dont know what a stick blender is but prob couldnt use one if its one you hold. I will look in asda thanks @thespiceman

Brightness