Help with my son — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help with my son

emma77
emma77 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi, I’m not sure where to start, but we have 13yr son with moderate learning difficulties, high anxieties, self harms, very angry and swears.
We took him to A&E last night as threats to harm us. Is in mainstream school on a very reduced timetable.
Im finding this so draining any advice, support encouragement would be very helpful

Comments

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @emma77 Pleased to meet you thank you for sharing your story.

Sorry what has happened.

Please can I advise have you seen our posts on Specific Conditions plus Practical information and support.

One of the team will be along to give you any help you need or information

Lots of the community I am sure will be able to give you some support and advice.

Take care

@thespiceman

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • emma77
    Thank you will try and navigate my way round
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2018
    Hi @emma77, and welcome to the community!

So sorry to hear about your situation, it must be really tough on you all. Is there anything in particular you're looking for support with? I'm sure our community members will do their best to advise.

You may also want to consider getting in touch with YoungMinds: they're a wonderful charity with a parents' helpline which you can call at 0808 802 5544.
  • emma77
    Thank you you very much. 
    Thank you for reading my post.
    My son needs the most support and I’m not far behind tbh.
    His emotional needs are so complex small to you and me but these things take over his day. His anxieties are so high and I listen and I try to resolve problems but it’s constant. Day and usually some of the evening too effects his sleep.
    i just want to know what I can do to help him. 
    Young minds couldn’t help which is a shame.
    Sendiass couldn’t do much more.
    Learning disability nursing team meet with me have worked with my son but can’t do any more.
    SEN officer has passed us onto someone else within the team.
    Been to doctors twice asking for re referral to CAHMS and Autistic Diagnostic team but so unhelpful.
    A&E last night are putting in another referral.
    In trying to get him into a different school as the environment is having such a negative impact on his mental health with being put into isolation or being excluded.
    Sorry to go on but we need help
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi again @emma77, oh I'm so sorry to hear this. It must be so frustrating to be continually passed on to other services. I imagine it can feel like a full time job trying to find the right support!

Given the circumstances, I wonder if it would be best for you to talk on the phone to one of our friendly helpline team members, is this something you would be comfortable doing? They will hopefully be able to offer more personalised support. The phone number is 0808 800 3333, or you can find other ways to get in touch here. 
  • emma77
    Thank you yes I can but I’m back at hospital with my son as he was angry and distressed and we needed some help
    i can call tomorrow discreetly as I don’t think he will be in school

Brightness