RECIPE IDEAS - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

RECIPE IDEAS

Comments

• fishingmum
    fishingmum Community member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    @debbiedo49 yes a stick blender is one you hold, there is a lot of vibration that comes through it so may not be suitable for a lot of people to use. Hope you find one that works for you
    life is too short to let others make you miserable.
  • fishingmum
    Meatloaf, this can be cooked and left to cool and sliced for sandwich fillings or had as part of a main meal.

You will need a knife, chopping board, bowl, a 2lb loaf tin, grater.

1kg sausage meat, 1 pack streaky bacon, 1 onion finely chopped, 1 carrot grated, 1 clove garlic crushed, 1 cup oats, 1 cup breadcrumbs, 1/2 pint ham stock, 1tbsp mixed herbs, 1 egg, tomato sauce (bottled or make your own)

Mix all ingredients in a bowl except tomato sauce and bacon.
    Grease the loaf tin, put half the mixture in the loaf tin and cover with tomato sauce then streaky bacon, then put the rest of the mixture on top cover with tomato sauce and the remainder of the streaky bacon. Cover the tin with tin  foil and put in the oven 180 or gas 4 for 45 minutes, take off the foil and cook for further 15 minutes. Take out and serve or leave to cook for later.

You can substitute the sausage meat for minced pork or beef, it does change the flavour and texture. You can always finely chopped left over meat and put it through this mix as well.

Cost approx £6 serves 4 main meals and a 4 lunches depending on how thickly you slice it up, you can get more out of this loaf.
  • fishingmum
    I never bother growing pumpkins as they take up too much room, and if I buy them the day after Hallowe'en you are buying a huge amount for very little. Last year we got a 5kg pumpkin for 50p. So it makes a lot of soup which can be frozen.

Pumpkin soup

you will need knife, chopping board, soup pot (blender if prefered smooth) frying pan

1kg pumpkin chopped, 2 onions finely chopped, pack of bacon chopped, 400 ml double cream, 1 clove garlic crushed, 1 tbsp nutmeg, 1heaped tsp curry powder, 2 litres of vegetable stock.

chop up onion and bacon and gently fry once cooked sit to one side.
    Boil your chopped pumpkin in the vegetable stock till soft, add in all other ingredients and simmer for 5 minutes If you are going to blend this leave the onion and bacon till after you blend the soup then add.

This is a good time to use up the frozen bits of dough from your breakfast boats as croutons and top the soup off before serving.

Depending on time of year, this would cost approx £5 for 8 200ml servings or less.
  • fishingmum
    This is an easy gingerbread loaf. I tend to use a small size mug instead of a cup, but a large cup would do fine.

Gingerbread loaf.

You will need a cup, pot,, bowl, 2lb loaf tin

In the pot put 1 cup of sugar, 1 cup of currants, 1 cup of milk, 1tbsp treacle 115g margerine. bring to the boil and cool for 2 minutes.

In the bowl put 2 cups self raising flour, 1/2 tsp bicarb, 1 tsp ginger, 1 tsp mixed spice,

Once the mixture in the pot has cooled down put all the ingredients from the bowl in and mix well. Now add 1 egg and beat through.
    Transfer mix to a greased and lined loaf tin put in the oven 180 or gas 4 for an hour or util a knife can be put in the middle and it comes out clean.

Cost for this is under £2 and you can easily cut 12 slices, this can be frozen but I can honestly say it has never been done in my house. You can add a little butter on to the slice and eat it with a cuppa, or have it with some custard
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Your recipes are amazing. Are they healthy? 
  • fishingmum
    except cakes yes lol @debbiedo49 but as long as you are balancing your meals out and know what you have calorie wise for the rest of the day it is fine. a good variety of different meals and plenty of fruit and veg is all part of :)
  • debbiedo49
    That’s good to know. I love all of your recipes you should write a book ?
  • debbiedo49
    My son and I love stir fry. I buy a bag of frozen chicken breasts. Defrost in fridge night before. Get tinfoil and spray oil and set it out in s tray.  Season and put in oven at 200 for 45 mins. Allow to cool then cut into strips. Spray a large frying pan or wok with oil and heat on medium. Place chicken in pan . Sprinkle with garlic powder or any other preferred seasoning and add  light soya sauce . Stir for 2 minutes.  Use a bag of mushroom stir fry next. Stir for 2 minutes. Add a bag of straight to wok noodles and stir fry for 2 minutes. Add more light soy sauce to taste. I usually cover and heat on low for another 2 minutes. Yum
  • fishingmum
    I love stir fry as well, I normally crush fresh ginger and garlic add a splash of lemon and 2 tbsp of honey to coat the meat pre cooking, it just gives a different flavour. experiment with food thats the fun part :)
  • fishingmum
    Tuna pasta.

Very easy to make
    You will need a pot, chopping board , knife, collander

Farfalle enough for 4, 2 x tins of tuna, 4 spring onions chopped, 2 cloves of garlic crushed, 200g olives (more if you like), 1/2tsp oregano, 1tsp chopped chives, 50g parmesan, olive oil

Farfalle pasta (enough for 4 people) cooked and drained.
    In the same pot add olive oil and cook spring onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes, add in the pasta and mix through add in the 2 tins of tuna and oregano and mix well then add in parmesan and olives mix through and cook for further 2 minutes and serve.

This goes great with garlic bread and a basic salad.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @fishingmum Morning thanks for the pasta recipe.

One of the suggestions I often say to people about pasta is have some store cupboard standbys to make pasta sauce or to add to pasta.

Following useful. Passata, Plum Tomatoes.

Jars Red Roasted Peppers and Sundried Tomatoes.

Jars Chillies and Garlic. Already chopped.  Tomato Puree. Red wine Vinegar and Balsamic.

Good olive oil.  Good black pepper and salt.  Tomato Ketchup. Got tomatoes and sugar and spices in it.

Anchovies and Olives. Buy Olives already pitted. Black ones.

Anti Pasti jars mixes of Peppers and Aubergines.  Plus Mushrooms . All in Olive Oil and useful . Drain oil for pasta.

Tins Sweetcorn and Tuna. Try and buy Tuna in Olive oil or Sunflower Oil.  I use Tuna Steak.

Varieties of Pasta Shapes. I use Farfalle, Penne, Fusilli . All wholemeal .  Experiment with other shapes.

Also try and find Orzo. Looks like rice but is a pasta .  No need for boiling water. Straight to sauce.

Also ready made Gnocchi simple to use and any left over from pack . Freeze in zip bags

Fresh herbs are great but sometimes using small mixes of dried can be beneficial. Most supermarkets sell Italian Mix and also Fennel Seeds.

Hope any of this helps or anybody else..

Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • fishingmum
    @thespiceman another idea is to have a few jars add olive oil and in one jar add some garlic cloves cut in half, in another add in chillies sliced from top to tail, in another add in several sprigs of basil, this way you can have the flavouring when you add the oil if you do not have basic ingredients to hand, or jars of seasoning. 2 ways of doing this are cold infusion, or by heat, I normally heat the oil slightly add in what ever I am flavouring with for a few minutes then transfer to a jar leave to cool before putting the lid on.

Just as a point of interest, roman soldiers used to use fennel to stave off hunger when on long marches as fennel can supress the appetite.
  • fishingmum
    todays lunch is sponsored by left overs. I frequently cook a little extra, sometimes people drop in unannounced and it is good to be able to feed them but also it means I can make up smaller meals the next day or try something new.
    This is adaptable as it is left overs, but going on a basic idea you can add or take away ingredients to suit yourself.

left over chicken soup.

you will need a pot, chopping board, knife

left over chicken shredded approx 300g, left over cooked rice roughly a cup full, 2 carrots sliced and diced, 1/2 leek thinly sliced, 1/4 parsnip sliced and diced,  2-3 pints chicken stock, 1 clove garlic, 1/2 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp thyme, 1 bay leaf a little oil.

In a pot add in the oil and add your carrots, parsnips and leek cook for about 5 minutes then add in garlic, oregano, thyme and bay leaf cook for further 2 minutes. Add in your stock, bring to the boil then simmer approx 15 minutes. Add in your cooked rice and shredded chicken cook for a further 3 to 4 minutes until it is all hot then serve.

goes great with some crusty bread.

The cost is low as it is mainly left overs, so under £1 for 4 servings
  • thespiceman
    Hello @fishingmum Thanks for the recipes great. More good stuff.

Most of the year eat Italian One pots whether Soup or Meat dishes. Simple the better.  So thanks very much.

Love Fennel bought some the bulbs in ASDA.  £1 each but shaved them using food processor lasted a week.  In the fridge. Anyway do buy the seeds and use them constantly . Especially in Beans and Pulses helps with digestion.

Also great with fruit and yoghurt.

Just thought not a fan of Parsnips.  Would add Potatoes to the Chicken Soup.  You have .  Potatoes thicken a Soup so ideal.

Thanks a lot hope you are OK.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • fishingmum
    @thespicemanI don't put potatoes in as I am using rice and already carbohyrate heavy, instead of parsnips, you could add celery, cabbage, cauliflower, whatever you have leftover, hence the name leftover chicken soup lol if you do not potatoes or rice to thicken it you could always make some dough balls, something a little different as a thickener for you.
  • thespiceman
    Hello @fishingmum Sorry of course not thinking. Need guidance. I know use Potatoes in One pots to thicken sauce.

Done the Italian Classic Peppers and Potatoes with Fennel and used left over Chicken or Sausages.

I will write it all down what could use vegetables.  When I shop buy a loads of vegetables but always the three Celery Carrots and Onions. Plus Potatoes, Swede. Plus Leeks. Rotate around so do another week of Med vegetables.

Peppers, Zucchini, Aubergines.  Add One of those. Probably Zucchini.  Done that before.

Thanks very much for the recipes and help and support.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • fishingmum
    @thespiceman courgette (zucchini) red pepper and lamb makes a lovely soup, if you are more mediterranean based, you can get away with cheap cuts of lamb like flank ( I think it is referred to as breast now) and use butternut squash as a thickener for it, as it is sweeter taste than potatoes it really adds to the soup flavour.

I am trying to think of ways to make it easier for you to cook anything I put up, as I understand it is a lot more difficult with the use of one hand.

Take care
  • thespiceman
    Hello @fishingmum Thanks again for recipes. Just want to add my hands have fingers not a full set  Have three fingers on left hand and four on the right.. Apologise for mis understanding.

Have also and do like to cook but it will admit a struggle today . Being Weepy Wednesday when everything goes wrong. Often in the kitchen one of those days.

Even moi makes errors and bad judgements. Roll on lunch time. Had boiled eggs but ended up too hard. Over boiled. Did not time it. 

So with all meals have to plan, organise and make sure do good food but simple.

Always find and adapt recipes to my disability. One thing have done. I have no family or friends around so have to sort myself out.

Great to have equipment and to use it practical.  New food processor great have four blades for slicing veg and know that it is well worth having one.

Blender blitzed up half jar pesto chilli one. Add tin toms plus red roasted peppers plus Basil for a tangy sweet but little bit of heat . Pasta sauce.

Last nights dinner. Simple . The classic Italian Lentils and Sausages.  Made the Ragu sauce last week. Got vacuum pack Lentils already cooked. Sausages to cook and pan fry.

So all it is snipped top of zip bag sauce into stock pot with lentils. Some water little of that .  Add in red peppers sauce from lunch.  Did Pepper pesto pasta. Left over. Let that bubble away or simmer after five minutes. Pinch of cinnamon to lentils. Then pan fry sausages to a pan with olive oil and transfer sausages to stockpot.

Cover simmer for about half hour and serve.

Same lentils make meatballs with sausages, or cheap cuts Pork belly or shoulder melt and better use of in a slow cooker

Pre cook meat season with black pepper or Coriander ground or Cinnamon..

Thanks very much

Hope you are having a better day than me.

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    Recipes
  • fishingmum
    @thespicemannext time you over boil the eggs mix it with mayonnaise and chives, or mix with a little pesto for over toast :)

Sorry I picked it up wrong about your fingers, still it must make it a lot more difficult, glad the food processor works, I hate washing dishes to tend not to use it lol.

You might like to try a layered loaf, using a green veg at the bottom, lentils in the middle and a tomato based top so it looks like a trafic light in layers, just as an addition, mix and match with veg you like.

I hope your day picked and it got better
  • fishingmum
    Rice dishes are great but they can also be used as a substitute for potatoes. So this basic savoury rice dish can be eaten on its own or with a dish.

Savoury rice

You will need a chopping board, knife,pot

1 red onion finely chopped, 4 mushrooms sliced, 1/2 green pepper roughly chopped, approx 3cm of courgette sliced, 1 clove garlic minced, 1/2 tin chopped tomatoes, pint of veg stock ,1tsp curry powder, 1tbsp wholegrain mustard, a few chopped chives and a little oil to fry veg.

In the pot add the oil and cook the onion till clear, add in the mushrooms pepper and courgette cook for 2 minutes, add in garlic cook for another minute, then add in rice, stock, mustard, chives, chopped tomatoes and curry powder and cook for 15 minutes until rice is cooked and liquid gone. Ready to serve.

This will serve 4 as a meal or 8 side portions. It costs approx £1.30 to make for the basic savoury rice, you can always add in smoked sausage, or chicken to add a little meat in to it, or prawns and mussels to make it more of a seafood dish, just change your stock to suit if using meat ingredients.

Brightness