Can dyspraxia cause memory problems? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can dyspraxia cause memory problems?

Jdpine1998
Jdpine1998 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
can dyspraxia cause memory problems?

Comments

• Lasian_Alumni
    Lasian_Alumni Community member Posts: 659 Pioneering
    edited May 2018
    Hi @Jdpine1998, welcome to the community!

On the Dyspraxia Foundation website, it does say that many people experience difficulties with memory, perception and processing.

Is this something that you're experiencing? 

• Jdpine1998
  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Jdpine1998 and a warm welcome to the community. Good to have you with us.
    Are your memory problems something you would like to talk about? We have many members who have such problems as a result of different conditions, medications and treatments, so there will be lots of people to talk to if you would like to.
    Warmest best wishes,
    Richard
    @JennysDad
  • Jdpine1998
    Yes i would like to talk about it but also i thought there was no medication for dyspraxia as there isn't no cure 
  • Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering

Hi @Jdpine1998

If you feel that your memory is worse now than is was previously I would suggest that you talk things over with your GP. Dyspraxia/ Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD)  can be associated with memory issues but so can a range of other conditions and circumstances, so it is best not to assume the cause if you have noticed changes in your health or wellbeing.You are correct in saying that dyspraxia can't be cured but for some people receiving the correct support enables them to manage their condition to minimalize its impact. For example:  an occupational therapy assessment, with an OT experienced in Dyspraxia/DCD issues, can look at the sensory stressors you are coping with, and provides you with practical strategies to help alleviate these. However, I do acknowledge that assessing such services from the NHS, especially for adults, can be difficult.Best WishesJean  

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

• oldngrumpy
    oldngrumpy Scope Member Posts: 215 Pioneering
    I have a Brain Injury from RTA in 1979. I mentioned sometime ago I was told I may be Dyspraxic. I have some serious memory problems
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    This post is a little old now, so you might not get a reply from the original poster, but it's good to hear your experience nonetheless @oldngrumpy :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.

Brightness