Looking for support and advice for my 24 year old son with autistic spectrum disorder — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Looking for support and advice for my 24 year old son with autistic spectrum disorder

Options
flora
flora Community member Posts: 8 Connected
edited May 2018 in Autism and neurodiversity
Hello, I have just joined following the recommendation of a friend.  I have a 24 year old son with autistic spectrum disorder, ocd and a few other related conditions. 

I am looking really for somewhere I can turn to for advice, support and information on all things to do with my son’s life. My son has just gone through the awful process of transferring from DLA to pip and now waiting for the decision. As his appointee I filled in the form and assisted at his assessment.  I am left feeling rather traumatised, in fact almost violated by the whole process.  I protected my son from the worst of it but the assessment itself really upset him having to focus almost entirely on what he can’t do. I didn’t think his self esteem could go any lower but the assessment knocked him for six. 

Thank you for reading my introduction!!

flora 

Comments

• JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello Flora @flora and a warm welcome to the community. Very glad that you have found us.
    The number of ultra-negative reviews we get of the assessment process is more than a little alarming, and I am profoundly sorry that you and your son have been put through the mill by these peculiar people. We can only hope that things change for the better soon.
    It is lovely to meet you, in fact, and I look forward to hearing more about you. In the meanwhile, if there's anything more you'd like to tell us, or anything at all that you would like to ask us, please don't hesitate to do so.
    I've linked here to our ASD and Learning Difficulties thread, and you might like to have a look and see if there is anything there of interest on the ASD side.
    We are here for you.
    Warmest best wishes,
    Richard
    @JennysDad
  • Lasian_Alumni
    Lasian_Alumni Community member Posts: 659 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @flora, welcome to the community.

I'm so sorry to hear about how the assessment process has impacted you and your son, it can be really difficult to go through.

It's great to have you here on the community and I hope that we can be a good source of support for you. You might be interested also be interested in our PIP and DLA category.
  • flora
    flora Community member Posts: 8 Connected
    Options
    @JennysDad and @Lasian_Scope

thank you so much for the lovely friendly welcome.

i will spend some time learning how to navigate around the discussions 

many thanks 

flora 
  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Lovely to hear from you, @flora, and only too glad to be of any help.
    Warmest best wishes, always,
    Richard
    @JennysDad
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @flora :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer

Brightness