WTC and self employment — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

WTC and self employment

LindaBH
LindaBH Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited April 2019 in Work and employment
Hi I am new, I hope someone can help me. I have been getting ESA in the Support Group since 2015 when I had to finish work.I also get PIP, I do permitted 16 hours per week self employed work. I tried to claim WTC at that time but could not as they use the year before figures, so between me & hubby we were earning too much, even through our income was down by at least £13,000 per year.
I recently realised that I have been missing out on WTC to the tune of approx £300 per month from completing a benefits calculator.
I called the WTC and was told they were taking no new claims as my area was now Universal credit, but to claim for that, I don't want to claim as it is really complicated for someone self employed, I don't know what to do and I am very annoyed that I have been missing out on money. I am 55 years old and really trying to help myself but this government really doesn't care. Myself and my disabled daughter ( 30 years old) who has suffered with Rheumatoid Arthritis since she was 3, started our little business and mistakingly thought we would get help, sorry for the long post, thank you for letting me rant.
Linda

Comments

• Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @LindaBH
    SOrry to hear you are having problems with this, do you have a Citizens Advice near you? It might be good to get some face to face support for this?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • AndMac
    AndMac Community member Posts: 27 Pioneering
    I am self-employed as an online English Language  instructor/tutor. I claim Disabled Person's Working Tax Credit, and the extra money is a godsend. I managed my claim for DPWTC myself, as with all my benefit claims, including PIP.
    It was a real pain to provide all the paperwork required to prove my business existed, but it was worth it.

Don't be deterred. It is far more difficult than it needs to be, but that money is your right.

I pay National Insurance  Class 2 self-employed contributions. That's even though I have enough years for a full pension,  I don't trust the Government not to move the goalposts on this, before I retire. That was supposed to be in 2 years, and it's now in just under 6 years,
    Goalpost moving that kicks the disabled community in the teeth is something very familiar, of course. . 
  • Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    @AndMac How do you get into a job like that? It's what I've been looking for... Did you have to have a teaching degree?

Brightness