Funding with lessons — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Funding with lessons

jackiewackie10
jackiewackie10 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited May 2018 in Transport and travel
Son is 17 and has finally got his provisionally licence. We can get funding through motorbility as we are not on any benefits. What other charities can help ? Thank you

Comments

• Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Where do you find a person with a car that a disabled perdon can drive
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,367 Disability Gamechanger
    Son is 17 and has finally got his provisionally licence. We can get funding through motorbility as we are not on any benefits. What other charities can help ? Thank you
    Do you mean you can't get funding because you're not claiming any benefits? Do your son claim PIP?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @jackiewackie10
    I found this information

If you are a Motability customer and already have a car on the scheme then funding may be available from Motability Grants but you must be a customer to qualify and you must meet the eligibility criteria.

Up to 40 hours of driving lessons may be available from Motability for those who receive certain means tested benefits (Income Support, Income related Jobseekers Allowance, Pension Credit, Housing Benefit, Income-related ESA or Working Tax Credit) or those in full-time education or training aged up to 25 years, whose parents/guardians receive the means tested benefits. There is now no age limit for this scheme but you must be a Motability customer who currently has a car, mobility scooter or powered wheelchair on the scheme. Please contact Motability on 0300 456 4566 to discuss.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • jackiewackie10
    Hi Sam
    I spoke to motorbility and because we are not on only benefits apart from Pip we do not meet their criteria. 
    Just wondering if there was another way to get funding for his driving lessons 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,367 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2018
    Hi Sam
    I spoke to motorbility and because we are not on only benefits apart from Pip we do not meet their criteria. 
    Just wondering if there was another way to get funding for his driving lessons 
    Unfortunately there isn't any funding available to help someone learn to drive, unless they claim the Enhanced mobility PIP, along side the means tested benefits mentioned by Sam above.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • AlexW_Scope
    AlexW_Scope Scope Posts: 224 Pioneering
    edited May 2018

Hi @jackiewackie10 you can search for grants at www.scope.org.uk/grants

It might also be worth contacting local disability information services to see if they hold details of any local grant giving organisations. Try www.scope.org.uk/local

Hope you find something, Alex

• jackiewackie10
    Thank you all. We have now moved house and was putting of sorting driving lessons and how to pay for them!! 
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,882 Disability Gamechanger
    Unfortunately there’s very little funding available for disabled drivers. If you are getting higher rate mobility (this is your best bet honestly speaking here) then you can use the money to cover the costs of owning a car. 
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Interesting so you order the car then u apply for funding ?
  • jackiewackie10
    We have ordered the car through the motorbility scheme and my son's pip money pays for that. We have asked for help with funding for the lessons but not entitled as we are not on benefits etc.
    I will be the main driver as his carer until he passes his test 

Brightness