Are Private phone numbers out dated? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Are Private phone numbers out dated?

2»

Comments

• veriterc
    veriterc Community member Posts: 241 Pioneering
    All this nonsense from NHS about "not selling" one's private data.  I gave a false name to 111 - a week later a call centre selling something phoned up and asked to speak to Mrs. Edwina - only time I had ever used such a name was to 111.  So yes, someone IS selling on our data.
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    veriterc said:
    All this nonsense from NHS about "not selling" one's private data.  I gave a false name to 111 - a week later a call centre selling something phoned up and asked to speak to Mrs. Edwina - only time I had ever used such a name was to 111.  So yes, someone IS selling on our data.
    That's disgusting.
    What else did they sell.
    Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • jdtayloruk
    jdtayloruk Community member Posts: 6 Listener
    That shouldn’t have happened, 111 calls should be treated as private and confidential unless it’s for a feedback survey which I think you can opt out of.
  • veriterc
    I remember a detective at Scotland Yard, involved with IT fraud, saying that they were worried that patients were asked to give out date of birth in crowded Outpatients, then a Receptionist 'shouting' "Do you still live at ....?!  This is manna from heaven for a hacker.  So now I have a card with my DOB which I show to Receptionist.  I gather many private hospitals, if they need your DOB (they usually go by your name ) push a pen and paper across desk and ask you to write this down.  
    I think the NHS is too casual with our data - we go through hoops "because of data protection act" but there are far too many incidents if you Google this. 
  • whistles
    That shouldn’t have happened, 111 calls should be treated as private and confidential unless it’s for a feedback survey which I think you can opt out of.
    You ring 111 because you are in need of medical advice and they ask you about a survey. 
    I have to say most places do this now and it's a bit annoying- chemist included!
  • veriterc
    Is anyone else bemused about what this new data protection wheeze is all about?  My email inbox is full of messages asking me to confirm I want to still be on their list - all different.  But as far as I can see, any scammer based abroad can still send me umpteen emails, and there's no-one to stop them. 
  • whistles
    The only people who have contacted me, are those I wish to be involved with.
    If you don't just click unsubscribe.

Slightly ot. The postal preference service is working. Not had any junk mail addressed to me specifically.
  • fishingmum
    fishingmum Community member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    @whistleswhen I had a fire I used to sign up for junk mail, saved buying a newspaper daily for lighting the fire lol
    life is too short to let others make you miserable.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello everybody is me this new data protection do not understand any of it. All confusion.

Another ploy to get us as a community to be customers. It is me or this could be useful to other people who could benefit it.

For there own personal gain.

No ideas at all. Look this morning was enough . What is happening with these agencies and advice places.

Rang this number for CAB. Citizens Advice.  Got a pause then it started the menu of numbers.  Want this and that hang on I am saying what you are saying. By the time it ended here I am confused and brain fog.

Once upon a time in the past. You rang a number lovely cheery voice and hello may I can I help you. Oh my god not now.  Sitting wondering why and how has it all gone down hill.

Same questions regarding certain websites. On line advisor pleased to help you. Am waiting as the screen goes blank. Hang on where are you. ? SOS. Help.

Get more response if I dust down a pigeon attach a message and send it off.  To the place concerned. All morning of frustrated and wasted time.

Bring back proper customer service and a voice that is helpful and pleasant.

Only service like that may I add is our own community support here and helplines. The real person at last.

Every one has to match that all I can say.
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • whistles
    The doctors go through a list of numbers before connecting you to reception.
    Then you are number xx in the line. By the time you do get through the appointments have all gone.  
    Solution- write to your gp and if necessary they will do a ring back. ( for me, not suggesting others do the same)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,741 Listener
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • whistles
    My phone system tells me if it's a free call or expensive one.
    I rarely use the phone anyway. 
  • fishingmum
    fishingmum Community member Posts: 562 Pioneering
    there is a website called say no to 0870, it basically gives you the free number or a landline number for many companies always worth checking out. https://www.saynoto0870.com/

life is too short to let others make you miserable.
  • [Deleted User]
  • whistles
    Victoriad said:
    Thanks

Why are we Brian Blessed alongside our posts.
    Preferred chatterbox. 
  • [Deleted User]
  • [Deleted User]
  • whistles
    Maybe it's meant to be? Brain. 

?
  • [Deleted User]
  • whistles
    Scope might tell us why. 

Brightness