What are people's experiences of switching from DLA to PIP? - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What are people's experiences of switching from DLA to PIP?

Comments

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2018
    sue66 said:

Yes in my opinion they should have, disgusting  it really is. Glad you kept your award, middle care and high mobility  but why only 5 years? Why cant they accept that most of us are no better or even worse than when we applied for and got the DLA indefinite award. If we were born before 1948 we get left in peace, no need to apply for PIP. if we were born after this then how ever bad we are we have to  keep going through this and being re assessed  every so many years. Surely its what we have to contend with that should count, not the year we were born in!
    My sentiments exactly.

I was born just a few weeks too late and was 65 just after the cut off date.
    Previously I had HRM & HRC DLA Indefinitely.
    3 face to face assessments later in the past 5 years I received the same result - no award.
    Eventually I had the first two decisions overturned - ERM & ERC each time being given a 3 year period, review after 2.
    The 3rd assessment and decision still stands - no award as simply I cannot keep on facing these assessments every other year for the rest of my life. I have given up with the system and not appealed

• Yadnad
    edited May 2018
    I lost my car when changing over to PIP. I used to get high rate for both on DLA. I asked for a reconsideration and got the care increased to high rate but not the mobility. I have appealed and finally, after 11 months of waiting, I have my appeal date for the end of June. I'm absolutely terrified.

I lost my Motability cars following the transfer from DLA - PIP in 2014, another one in 2016 and the third car earlier this year!!
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Good luck with your appeal hearing @Barbiesnemesis.  It might not be as bad as you fear.  I got through my appeal hearing and was awarded enhanced both. 
  • Barbiesnemesis
    Barbiesnemesis Community member Posts: 86 Pioneering
    Oh Yadnad that's awful, I'm sorry. Thank you Matilda.
  • Yadnad
    Oh Yadnad that's awful, I'm sorry. Thank you Matilda.

It was at the time, it became a joke with the Vauxhall dealership.

Looking back now, I too can see the funny side to it all. In the period from 2013 I had had the same model car but in three different colour schemes, with three different engines and three different trims!

Now the DWP are of the opinion once again that I can walk without problems and make the return journey  the length of a football pitch.
    Even the report from the hospital spinal unit that had the distance confirmed via tests on their walking machine was not accepted this time round but it was good enough for the two previous MRs'. Presumably this is because the report is now over 3 years old.
  • jenniej
    jenniej Community member Posts: 24 Connected
    How many of you have had a f2f I have just received my pip assessment letter was given a lifetime award 15 years ago but told that does’nt matter
  • Matilda
    You can ask for the medical reports from your DLA assessment to be taken into account in your PIP assessment. You can ask DWP for a copy of assessment report which will give a good indication of your award.

I was on indefinite DLA enhanced both components, awarded standard both components PIP, appealed and awarded enhanced both components.

Hope you get what you expect right away.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,328 Disability Gamechanger
    jenniej said:
    How many of you have had a f2f I have just received my pip assessment letter was given a lifetime award 15 years ago but told that does’nt matter
    Most people have face to face assessments, its rare to have a paper based one.

DLA and PIP are different benefits. PIP is about how your conditions affect your ability to carry out daily activity based on the PIP descriptors.

You'll need to wait for a decision to be made but if the report doesn't recommend an award then you can start to write the letter for the mandatory reconsideration. They usually go with the report, its rare to go against it.

For the letter you need to state where you think you should have scored those points and your reasons why. adding 2-3 examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you. Once the decision is made you'll have 1 month to request the MR.

If there's no PIP award your DLA will end approximately one month later. Do be aware that any other benefits you claim could also be affected by the PIP decision.

You should get some face to face advice from an agency near you. This link will help you find what's local to you.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • jenniej
    Ty poppy for your advice
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 10,821 Scope online community team
    Hello @jenniej and welcome to the community. :) Our members have a wealth of experience so if you have any questions about your face to face please don't hesitate to ask. 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • ladygonegaga
    ladygonegaga Community member Posts: 11 Courageous
    Hi, I had a life time award with DLA, middle rate care and higher rate mobility. I have MS, Fibromyalgia, high blood presure, rapid heart rate, anxiety and panic attacks. I got my PIP claim form last september, I found it very hard to understand, I had never herd the word discriptors before so had a melt down straight away. I lost the mobility part on PIP and so my mobility car was taken in  april, this I found so upsetting. My pip award is for 2 years?? I'm never getting any better, this is as good as I'm ever going to be.
    I have now got to go to court like a naughty girl.
  • poppy123456
    Hi, I had a life time award with DLA, middle rate care and higher rate mobility. I have MS, Fibromyalgia, high blood presure, rapid heart rate, anxiety and panic attacks. I got my PIP claim form last september, I found it very hard to understand, I had never herd the word discriptors before so had a melt down straight away. I lost the mobility part on PIP and so my mobility car was taken in  april, this I found so upsetting. My pip award is for 2 years?? I'm never getting any better, this is as good as I'm ever going to be.
    I have now got to go to court like a naughty girl.
    Please remember that a Tribunal is not a court and you're not on trial. It's a room with 3-4 people in it. HMCTS are totally independent to DWP and the assessors. 71% of those who appear in person have a decision in their favour.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • ladygonegaga
    ladygonegaga Community member Posts: 11 Courageous
    I understand what you say poppy12345 but for anyone that has never been to a court thats what it feels like. The tribunal is in a court, in a court room and in front of a Judge.
  • Matilda
    @ladygonegaga

Tribunals are more informal than traditional courts.  In a meeting room not a court room.  Judge wears a business suit not a wig and gown.

Judge told me I could leave the room for a while if I needed without asking permission.  

The setting was not intimidating.  But I was grilled about my walking ability, especially by the doc.  I had to keep insisting that I could not walk farther than 20m before I needed to stop and rest.  Don't let tribunal lead you into saying you can walk farther than you can.
  • CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @JulieTuesday and welcome

Most people will be required to attend a f2f assessment. It is unusual for the DWP to contact your GP or other medical professionals, the onus is on you to provide the proof.
    PIP is not about diagnosis, illness or disability, it is awarded based on how your conditions affect daily activities and or mobility. It is important to understand the descriptors, criteria and points system
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • poppy123456
    Hi, I'm new, I have been on DLA with an indefinate length of claim, both parts at the lower level, I am a few months short of the time frame,  68yrs old,  to keep going with DLA. I have just filled in my PIP form and now worry I won't get a thing! My condition is far worse due to my age now and more medical problems, I think I said enough words to describe my problems but am terrified of a face to face meeting as I have anxiety and depression plus other illnesses. How many older people (OAP's) get their PIP without having to have one of those assessments. I sent copies of Consultants letters about my condition but some were quite old...I gave them my GP tel number he would talk to them I think., does it take a long time for them to give you a response? Thanking you in advance.
    Hi,

Most people have face to face assessments, it's rare to have a paper based one. My advice is to expect one, this way if you are sent an appointment letter then it won't be too much of a shock.

They very rarely contact anyone for any evidence, the onus is always on the claimant to prove they qualify and not their responsibility.

Waiting times for assessments depend on backlog in your area. Some wait weeks, while other wait months. Your DLA will continue until a decision's been made on the PIP. Good luck.
  • JulieTuesday
    JulieTuesday Community member Posts: 51 Connected
    Thank you Poppy, I'll just have to be brave then! I did send quite a few letters from three different consultants about my various medical problems. The anxiety and depression is not my major cause for a need for help here. They asked me for details to contact my GP, his telephone number,  when I first phoned them. I've been reading many comments and it seems we are all guilty until proven otherwise.  Thanks again.

• Ails
    Ails Community member Posts: 2,256 Disability Gamechanger
    I got switched from DLA to PIP about 4 years ago and was on standard DLA payment and then got a letter than I had to switch to PIP, but in the process I had to return my Motability car whilst the change-over was taking place.  This left me having to rely on my dad and other members of my family/friends to drive me places.  I went into hospital for surgery during this period and then had my face-to-face assessment a couple of months later.  I was then awarded Enhanced PIP which is actually more income for us now and my husband was also able to claim Carer's Allowance too.  I remember it being an absolute nightmare at the time and very upsetting at returning my car and I complained many times to DWP.  I finally got a verbal apology over the phone from a DWP manager who told me that the process should have been smoother for me, which is something I suppose!  Too many disabled people are getting treated in such an abysmal way by DWP - so unfair!  :neutral:
    Winner of the Scope New Volunteer Award 2019.   :)
  • jenniej
    Hi all just wondering where these f2f take place I can’t walk far so need close parking anybody know the answer
  • poppy123456
    jenniej said:
    Hi all just wondering where these f2f take place I can’t walk far so need close parking anybody know the answer
    HI,

It depends on your area as all areas are different. You can check by putting your postcode into this link. Once you know which centre then you'll be able to do some research. https://www.mypipassessment.co.uk/consultation-centres/

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.