PIP motability claim — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP motability claim

lizzie55
lizzie55 Community member Posts: 12 Listener
I have lost my appeal for PIP mobility , I had to think back 13 months to what I was like at the start of my claim. I was tied up in knots and extremely nervous , couldn't remember the dates of things they were asking me, and I got upset and repeatedly said I couldn't walk the 50-100 mtrs which they kept asking me about. I was awarded 4 points, not enough to keep my DLA mobility payment that I'd been receiving for the last 20 years.  Anyway, my question today is 1.  can I put in a new application for the mobility component straight away. 2.  Will I be blocked now or treated differently because I took my claim to a tribunal. 
Thank you.

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    lizzie55, you won't be black listed, but please remember the PIP acessment criteria is differs to the DLA so chech that you meet the requirements to get the best outcome from your PIP acessment.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    lizzie55 said:
    I have lost my appeal for PIP mobility , I had to think back 13 months to what I was like at the start of my claim. I was tied up in knots and extremely nervous , couldn't remember the dates of things they were asking me, and I got upset and repeatedly said I couldn't walk the 50-100 mtrs which they kept asking me about. I was awarded 4 points, not enough to keep my DLA mobility payment that I'd been receiving for the last 20 years.  Anyway, my question today is 1.  can I put in a new application for the mobility component straight away. 2.  Will I be blocked now or treated differently because I took my claim to a tribunal. 
    Thank you.

1. Provided you are under 65 you can put in a new claim for PIP. If you have the care element already you would apply for a change of circumstances for your mobility issues.
    2. No you will not be blocked, but in putting in a new claim/change of circumstances the history of the one you have just lost will be available to the decision maker.
    If you do go ahead so soon after then make absolutely clear how you should be awarded the 12 points for mobility and get some evidence to back it up.
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    @lizzie55

You can put in a new PIP claim now but this has to be for both components unless you only have mobility issues.

As wilko says you won't be penalised for having appealed in the past.

PIP is awarded for how your conditions affect you not for the conditions themselves.

Try to get f2f help from CAB or similar.

Disability Rights UK site has a good guide to PIP.

You could ask the tribunal judge for a statement of reasons and show it to CAB to see if the tribunal made an error of law in which case you could appeal to an upper tier tribunal.

Brightness