death — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

death

dedus
dedus Community member Posts: 25 Connected
can killing ever be justified ?

Comments

• Roland
    Roland Community member Posts: 27 Courageous
    It very much depends on the context and the reasons for killing
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    No. Some people try to justify killing in wartime but frankly it’s cant be justified. I have religious beliefs and I would say that it can never be justified.
    if you can’t stand someone then take yourself away from them for example. 
    I hope this is an academic question. Good luck and God bless.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• FionaA
    FionaA Community member Posts: 15 Connected
    Depends who is initiating. I could see myself assisting suicide because no one should have to die alone when they have already been through so much alone to get to that point.
  • Roland
    Assisted suicide is well over due in this country. My brother, a single chap with no dependents, had a major heart attack last year at the age of 60.  He was 'saved' by the strenuous efforts of the medical teams but with disastrous brain damage which has left him with no quality of life whatsoever.  What was the point in doing that?
  • feir
    feir Community member Posts: 397 Pioneering
    All consensual things should be justified as a default. And this where the problem is when it comes to law, proving whether an act was consensual because many things complicate this.

• CockneyRebel
    CockneyRebel Community member Posts: 5,209 Disability Gamechanger
    During my latest stay in hospital, i was listening to the consultant making his rounds. At one point the consultant asked to turn off my nebuliser as he needed to talk to the patient in the opposite bed, to which I agreed. The subsequent conversation was in regard of providing life support and resuscitation and whether the patient would want this to be given if there was little chance of a return to some form of quality of life. The consultant was actively persuading the patient that it would be in their best interest to not continue with life support if this was the case.
    More shocking than this, as the consultant walked away with his collegue, his comment was to the effect that it didn't matter whether consent was given or not as no signature was required on the form, only that the conversation had been had and that they would make the decision anyway.
    A few days later, the consultant turned up at my bedside, fortunately on this occasion I did not require either
    Be all you can be, make  every day count. Namaste
  • Roland
    Well done that consultant!  Unfortunately, with my brother's case I am regularly asked if I want the 'Do Not Resucitate' order kept in his file and my answer is always 'yes, why ask?"
  • FionaA
    FionaA Community member Posts: 15 Connected
    Agree with Feir, consentual is an issue. Borne out by Roland's sad comments on being asked repeatedly about the 'Do Not Resucitate' order but beautifully showing the dichotomy with CockneyRebel's experience. The trouble is this issue is too big for just the law. I feel for the medical and nursing staff who may have to behave in ways their personal beliefs do not support. 

Brightness