Reply received on my UC Journal says it all really — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Reply received on my UC Journal says it all really

itsmefee
itsmefee Community member Posts: 27 Connected
I was receiving £1000 a month ESA and Child Tax Credit. I applied for Housing Benefit but had to apply for Universal Credit. 
After getting housing element added I was only receiving £1089 a month. I had lost £300 a month by transferring onto UC from the old system. 

So, I asked a question on my Universal Credit Journal as to why after applying for housing benefit am I only getting £89.00 towards a £390 a month rent bill, they replied ..... 
I can see why it is Confusing but your payments are correct for your housing. 
I do understanding where you are coming from but this is what universal
credit is all about.

Regards Universal credit

They had given me the full housing element but reduced amounts elsewhere, which left me £300 a month worse off.  All I can say is I hope they have got a stack of emergency housing available for when those on Universal Credit start getting evicted. 

So, this is what Universal Credit is all about ? Making sure that people fall into arrears with their rent while waiting to be paid an then not even giving them enough to pay it. I have paid tax and insurance for many years and when I come to rely on the system for help this is the treatment you get. 

So by their own admission they know they are not giving people in need enough to live off and pay their rent. 

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Thanks for bring this information to our attention, many claimants are moved from  ESA to UC when they could have been claiming the new style ESA and UC side by side and may be better off than claiming just the UC? If you ask about me the new style ESA they go blank and push you on to UC so you have to stand your ground.
  • feir
    feir Community member Posts: 397 Pioneering
    What they're basically doing is saying everyone in certain groups of claimants have the same costs, when this isn't true.

This is how claims have always been when it comes to basic living awards, which is why some people won't have enough to live off and some will have more than enough despite being classed as having the same circumstances because of what their award is rather than what causes their need for a claim in the first place, but by having the housing element separate and based off average rents this did make claims more fair.

Well, they're just going backwards with support as usual. Let's hope nobody votes them in again because that's the only way to stop them. They've already been looked into by the UN for bedroom tax and that hasn't stopped them from doing this.
  • itsmefee
    I claim ESA Contributory which is running along side my UC. What they do is deduct your ESA award away from UC as additional earnings, which is fine. It was tge £300 cut after applying for housing benefit. 
    I didnt want to apply for it my housing association suggested it but I am only £89 a month better off but with 6 weeks in arrears on everything while waiting for a payment. 

I would laugh at how stupid their logic is if it wasnt so serious.
  • whistles
    whistles Community member Posts: 1,583 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2018
    One I hate this benefit being online!

You are supposed to get a rent element based on your local authority area.

I'm confused by the fact you say you are £89 better off and then £300 worse. 

Do not follow me, I don't know where I am going.
  • itsmefee
    I was getting £1500 Cont ESA and £500 Child Tax Credit. I apply for Housing Benefit which triggered me applying for Universal Credit. 

They gave me full housing Allowance, a personal allowance, a child allowance with disability element as he is disabled. THEN they deduct my ESA from it all, which leaves me with £575 Universal Credit and 512 ESA Total comes to £1089 TO INCLUDE MY RENT. 

On old system I would get £1385.00 on Universal Credit I get £1089. including ESA.

Complicated I know. I wish I hadnt bothered. 

• whistles
    Yes that's their plan I think. To confuse everyone. 
    Or cut money.
    If pip hasn't, UC will. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,355 Disability Gamechanger
    itsmefee said:
    I was getting £1500 Cont ESA and £500 Child Tax Credit. I apply for Housing Benefit which triggered me applying for Universal Credit. 

They gave me full housing Allowance, a personal allowance, a child allowance with disability element as he is disabled. THEN they deduct my ESA from it all, which leaves me with £575 Universal Credit and 512 ESA Total comes to £1089 TO INCLUDE MY RENT. 

On old system I would get £1385.00 on Universal Credit I get £1089. including ESA.

That isn't right. CB ESA Support Group amount is £110.75 per week. WRAG is approx £102 per week IF you applied for ESA before April 2017. Do you live with a partner that works?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • itsmefee
    I am a single Mum in support Group. Been on ESA since 2010. 

No one seems to know what anyone should be receiving. Its just one big mess. 

Its the landlords who will take the hit on this as people will feed their families first then pay their rent. 
  • whistles
    Why is ESA seen as income. It's for those who are too ill to work. They won't have any other income.

• whistles
    itsmefee said:

That's three times the amount of ESA. 
    It sounds as if you must have been getting other things. 
    Contributory  is only £109 a week.
  • itsmefee
    I received Contributory ESA, Child tax Credits with disability child element. totalling, £1,000 month.

Now I get UC, CONT ESA,  CHILD ELEMENT of UC WITH DISABILITY AND HOUSING ELEMENT of UC. £1089.00 MONTH. 

The additional element  of housing at £386 a month but has only increased my monthly payments by £89.00 a month. 

Basically they have put me onto UC but not giving me any more for the pleasure.  

It has put me 6 weeks in arrears with my rent though so thats ok. That made it all worth while. ?

• littleruthie123
    littleruthie123 Community member Posts: 511 Pioneering
    Omg something else too dread then .sounds so confusing never ending worry 
  • itsmefee
    I think they make it confusing in purpose. Even the staff who do the process for you dont understand it either. They can't answer yiur questions fully as they don't have the answers.

I am laughing at the whole situation but it really isn't funny at all. I can fully understand why people turn to crime to survive. 
  • poppy123456
    In a comment above you stated that you are receiving £1500 for CB ESA???? This can not be possible.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • itsmefee
    sorry no it should read should be £1000 
  • poppy123456
    itsmefee said:
    sorry no it should read should be £1000 
    That's totally impossible for you to receive that much CB ESA every 4 weeks. CB ESA is £110.75 per week, which gives £221.50 every 2 weeks. Your ESA amounts that you're quoting are incorrect. You shouldn't even be receiving half that amount every 4 weeks. Please take another look at your ESA amount and put all your details into a benefits calculator.
  • itsmefee
    edited May 2018
    Thats the amount  I was receiving. There may have been a top up of income support onto my ESA, but it all got paid as ESA and paid as one which was £500 a month plus £500 in Child Tax Credits. The total was £1000. 

The benefits calculators dont seem to take into account contributory ESA when it calculates Universal Credit. The amount of ESA is deducted from your entitlement to Universal Credit when they work it out. 
  • poppy123456
    You can't be paid ESA and Income Support at the same time. Also Child tax credits is paid separately to ESA. Tax credits are from HMRC and ESA is paid by DWP.

I know that CB ESA is deducted from the UC but your figures still don't add up. A visit to CAB for a benefit check may help. Good luck.
  • jaqui240
    jaqui240 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Still trying to get my head around all this U.C. stuff, feel like crying.
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    @itsmefee you need some proper advice.  Good luck

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.