Hearing tests — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hearing tests

Options
Jatin
Jatin Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited June 2018 in Sensory impairments
Dr. Says that my 1.3 years son does not possesses ability to hear. His BERA test also report so. But me and other family members says that he listen to the voices and replies. No matter how slow he is in this but he does response. 

Can anyone advise if there is any advance test other than BERA? 

Comments

• steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Jatin

Good Afternoon it’s great to meet you.

I’m very very sorry to hear about your trials & tribulations” to date.

We have got a number of “Advisors” here on our site.

I will forward your post post onto one of them if that’s ok.

She is a “paediatric audiologist” working with “children”

I do hope that this is all right ????

We have also got lots of info/help which I would be more than happy in helping you with things.

Hi @VickiKirwin

Can you please help me with this post????

Many Thanks.
  • JennysDad
    JennysDad Community member Posts: 2,299 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Jatin and a warm welcome to the community. Glad you have found us.
    I don't have an answer to your question, I'm afraid, but it's possible that some of our members will have thoughts to offer.
    To help us understand, I have a couple of questions.
    You seem to be saying that your doctor (your GP?) says your son cannot hear, but you disagree?
    Can I ask who conducted the BERA test?
    Warmest best wishes to you,
    Richard
    @JennysDad
  • Jatin
    Jatin Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    @JennysDad
    Thanks you Jennysdad , BERA was conduct at 2 reputable hospitals of Pakistan I.e Agha Khan Hospital and Liaquat National Hospital. 
  • VickiKirwin
    VickiKirwin Community member Posts: 69 Courageous
    edited May 2018
    Options

Hi @Jatin

The BERA test is usually very accurate and is used to test the function of the inner ear and hearing nerve between the ear and the brain. It is a useful test for very young babies and older children who aren’t able to tell us what sounds they can hear. 

But there is one exception to this. There is a disorder if the hearing known as ‘Auditory Neuropathy Spectrum Disorder’. The BERA response in this condition is absent or very abnormal even though the child might have some hearing and respond to some sounds.   

The BERA test is known as an ‘objective test’. But as babies grow up they are usually able to show us they respond to sound in some way. When we test their hearing at this stage the tests are known as ‘behavioural tests’. At 1.3 years this would often be using speakers (using Visual Response Audiometry) to make sounds and looking for reactions to the sound - turning head to the sound etc.

So what you should be asking your doctor is: Have they tested for auditory neuropathy and has this been ruled out? And can you have behavioural tests done to look at his responses to sound. 

These links will give you more information about the hearing tests I’ve mentioned above (BERA is more commonly known as ABR in the UK so when you read about that it is the same test):

http://www.ndcs.org.uk/family_support/childhood_deafness/hearing_tests/

And how to test for auditory neuropathy: 

http://www.ndcs.org.uk/family_support/childhood_deafness/causes_of_deafness/index.html#contentblock1

I’m happy to discuss here but if you prefer you could speak to an independent audiologist about your results so far and what to ask your doctor please call the NDCS Freephone Helpline on 0808 800 8880 

http://www.ndcs.org.uk/family_support/how_ndcs_can_help/support_and_advice/index.html

All the best

Vicki

Brightness