PIP and ESA The victory rate for people appealing for disability benefit has reached 69% — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP and ESA The victory rate for people appealing for disability benefit has reached 69%

Government_needs_reform
Government_needs_reform Community member Posts: 859 Pioneering
edited March 2018 in Research and opportunities

If you loose your claim or you feel it's not right always fight till you can fight know more, the reasons why to fight are below.

Taken from the Mirror. 

The victory rate for people appealing for disability benefit has reached its highest ever.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) assessments have been branded a “total failure” as 69% of people appealing them at a tribunal now win their case.

That is the highest percentage success rate ever recorded since the benefit launched in 2013.

PIP, worth £22 to £141 a week, is replacing the old Disability Living Allowance as a fairer way for 1.6million people to meet everyday costs.

But campaigners argue assessments for the new benefit are unfit for purpose.

Of 947,000 people moving from DLA to PIP, almost half (46%) had their payments downgraded or stopped.

See full story here https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/victories-people-appealing-disability-benefit-12149291

Separately 69% of appeals for sickness benefit Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) also ended in victory in the three-month period, just short of a record.
⬇️
I created one of the campaign election videos for Labour, and Jeremy Corbyn,
This is a new version of Emeli Sande, Hope "You Are Not Alone
I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

You can see the video here.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P5o8hRHh9IY

Comments

• Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    Thank you for posting, governmentsajoke. Brilliant name.
  • Government_needs_reform
    Matilda said:
    Thank you for posting, governmentsajoke. Brilliant name.
    @Matilda Your most welcome. Yes glad you like I'm pleased with my name and many here liked it. I only like to add the truth and that states what this Government stands for.

Respect from

Lol.
    ⬇️
    I highlighted everything that's wrong with this country from benefits, NHS, UC etc, but now we have to put up with the hate now that is the Tories. 

• Mick70
    Mick70 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    So is it worth applying again for pip, and if so do I stay on esa or jsa while waiting, thank you 
  • Government_needs_reform
    Mick70 said:
    So is it worth applying again for pip, and if so do I stay on esa or jsa while waiting, thank you 
    @Mick70 Yes it is my friend don't give in. If your already on ESA or JSA that won't get affected.  Also if you've just been turned down for PIP you have a month to do a Mandatory reconsideration request to the DWP then if it's turned down you can then apply to appeal.

If your PIP was a while ago try going for it again. Hope this helps.
    ⬇️

• Monkey18
    Monkey18 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    'Lose' not 'loose'.
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    So much hype over the number of appeals succeeding at a Tribunal will only end one way and not the way people have hoped for.
    Some are wanting their PIP assessment to be recorded. Some are hoping that the DWP will start 'passing' more claimants and awarding PIP.

What I expect is for the DWP NOT to give more awards to avoid the embarrassment and cost of a Tribunal hearing  They may simply change PIP and/or the appeal system in order to (a) increase more failures (to reduce the costs) coupled together with (b) make it a lot more difficult to have a Tribunal rule in the favour of the claimant.

The DWP have 'volunteered' to be the first to have appeal hearings heard, not sitting in front of the panel, but on paper only, with the possibility of some taking evidence via Skype or during a telephone call.

More reliance on well prepared submissions instead of a face to face hearing.

Gloat as you may on the current position, but the DWP will do something to change it (and save money at the same time).

• Misscleo
    Misscleo Community member Posts: 647 Pioneering
    Does amyone know?
    When someone is 65 and over iv just read that they cant claim pip.
    It says they have to claim Pension credit.
    So if thats correct does everyone reaching 65 get taken off pip ?
    Do they still have mobility allowance and a car?
    Your all going ti be 65 at some point so it may be worth your while finding out what happens when you hit this majic number
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Misscleo, this Citizens Advice page has some really good information on what happens to benefits when you reach the age of 65, and how this differs depending on your circumstances. Definitely worth a read!

Brightness

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.